• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Americans - How was your Thanksgiving Break?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Well? Did you have to take the belt out a notch or two? Did your sister's kids do adorable things? Was Uncle Teddy drunk and hitting on your 15 year old babysitter, again? Spill the beans, enquiring minds wanna know!;)

It was nice to have an extended break from office work. Unfortunately, the kitchen work soon followed. BEK and I ate like dogs and spent time with both of our families. It was a very low-key but enjoyable weekend. :)

Jen

Cyburbian
Well, we had a very pleasant holiday around here despite having less than 5 sq ft of kitchen counter and walls that were being sanded and painted. My stuffing turned out yummy, the key was to use homemade bread, and we had three kinds of pie!!! Ate our feast on MIL's hand-me down vintage california Metlox pottery , of which I was able to find the bread basket on sale at RubyLane.com this weekend and bought it! (hush it's a surprise )

On Friday met an online( from another messageboard )friend and her kids in Lansing MI for fun at an interactive museum -

It was a great weekend! how was yours?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Interesting weekend....mixed emotions since it was my first Thanksgiving in a while without my wife and daughter.....didn't eat nearly as much this year as I have in the past.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I was overscheduled. Thanksgiving Day was quiet, just immediate family at my mom's house. Otherwise, go,go,go. Yesterday I drove a couple hours north so my son could spend the day hunting with my brother and nephew. He had a great time but I'm pooped.

H

Cyburbian
Lots of family, friends, food, beer and football; it was great.

Not to mention the weather was fabulous so we ate outside and then took a booze cruise on my cousin’s boat afterwards. SWEET!

otterpop

Cyburbian
The big Thanksgiving news in our town was the local health food store announced the day before Thanksgiving that most if not all of their fresh turkeys (sold at $1.50 a lb.) were spoiled. It was too late for people to defrost frozen turkeys, so there was a run on hams and alternative entrees. Meanwhile my turkey from the Safeway, purchased at 19 cents a lb, was probably the best turkey I ever made.

BKM

Cyburbian
It was nice. Cloudy, threatening-to-rain weather, so no cycling. Dinner at a restaurant that was very, very good (but painfully expensive :( ) Lots of hiking with my dogs (we didn't melt in the rain after all). Brunch with the sister and brother in law yesterday. A pretty good weekend overall. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Turkey Day itself was low key. My family always plays poker before and after the meal. Lost about $6. Not bad considering may pots were in excess of $75 a pop.

Had a bowling tournament all weekend after that. Did well, but not good enough to get the cash prizes.

And my holiday diet / New Years Resolution kicked in right after Turkey Day dinner - including the whole low carbs thing, and get this -- no alcohol. It was really wierd, bowling without beer. Its like being Ronald Reagan without Alzheimers. My thoughts are so lucid!

Queen B

Cyburbian
So Chet how is the bowling without Beer?
If it is not as good you could be experiencing state dependent learning curve. It really can effect how you preform!
Good Luck with the whole low carb thing!

As for my Thanksgiving, it was enjoyable although the tension in the house at my in-laws could be cut with a knife. Brother and sister from the west coast were in, first time in two years.
They are just not a close family. Oh well, their loss, we are cooler than they know!
My daughter got through her surgery just fine on Friday so I spent two days nursing her. I was glad to get home.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Uneventful. I starved on Thanksgiving, since there were no restaurants open in Cleveland. I worked on Friday ... dead, dead, dead. The dogs and I went home to Buffalo on Friday night, had Thanksgiving dinner with my parents on Saturday, and went back to Cleveland Sunday afternoon.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Thanksgiving for PlannerByDay was good. Good food, good company and good to be away for work for 5 days.

Here is a brief story about the one crazy moment that occured.

My mom has two wild dogs, she was going to tranqulize them but didn't get to the vet so they were wild as ever, IN an attempt to somewhat control them she put the bark/shock collars on them. Ya know every time the dog barks they would get a little shock..

So this one dog kept growling at my brother and even snapped at him a couple times. This one time the dog actually bit him on the leg. My brother lost it and yelled "YOU F***IN DOG" then the dog started barking and getting shocked. My brother, pissed as hell, realized he was getting shocked everyting he barked, kept yelling at the top of his lungs "BARK YOU MOTHER F***er, BARK, BARK"

So for the next minute and a half, there was this barking, yelling and shocking event, all the while everyone in the room just sat there in AWE.

The dog spent the rest of thanksgiving outside.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
PlannerByDay said:
My brother, pissed as hell, realized he was getting shocked everyting he barked, kept yelling at the top of his lungs "BARK YOU MOTHER F***er, BARK, BARK"
Pavlov would be soooo proud of your brother. ;)

The Irish One

Saw my brother, very cool! Ate Tofurkey, very cool! and then I worked a double shift at work, very UNcool.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My wife and I stayed at home and had a super-relaxing day! Just the two of us, and once I found out what happened this weekend with my wife's family, I'm glad we stayed here in Chi.

By the way, since my neighborhood is full of Chads and Trixies, the neighborhood was super quiet, becuase they all leave for the holidays.

Ahhh, no Jettas.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I traveled south, first getting bumped from my flight, thus giving me a free round-trip ticket to anywhere in the lower 48 + my flight home. How sweet. Tried getting bumped on the return but was not as lucky.

Prepared food that my grandmother normally makes - so I now know the secret family recipes. Ate, ate, and ate some more.

The family played with the baby and I got a break! Got to take more pictures in my gnome series. They are getting more and more classic.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Spent the time with my fiancee's family where I eat too much turkey and drank too much wine. They live in a small town so it was nice to get out of the city and be someplace where I could easily get "outdoors." So even with the rain and snow I managed to spend a lot of free time taking the dogs on long hikes in the woods.
A very chill holiday. :)

simulcra

a friend invited me over to her house in chesterton and that was the first time i've ever had a "traditional american" thanksgiving (normally i have a korean feast).

w.o.w. i've never seen so much turkey in my life. i spent most of friday sleeping it off.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Chet said:

And my holiday diet / New Years Resolution kicked in right after Turkey Day dinner - including the whole low carbs thing, and get this -- no alcohol.
You can do it as I have
I am a carb counter - no rice, no pasta, no potato, no alcohol, almost no dairy products, limited fruit (sugar).
Don't forget to walk if not on your bike!

donk

Cyburbian
Chet said:

And my holiday diet / New Years Resolution kicked in right after Turkey Day dinner - including the whole low carbs thing, and get this -- no alcohol. It was really wierd, bowling without beer. Its like being Ronald Reagan without Alzheimers. My thoughts are so lucid!

[ot]
who wants in on the pool for how long this lasts?

I say baby downtown will be born after chet breaks his resolution

Don't forget, that as a consultant, you need to butter us civil servants up ;)

[/ot]

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
It rained all day for thanksgiving, and I missed the football games, so Saturday was actually much better. Annual turkey bowl football game. I still hurt.