• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Amerizone: Did anybody else get this email?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
From my old friend Brandon:

RichmondJake–

You may remember that a couple of months ago I sent you an e-mail describing a zoning consultant opportunity in Idaho with our new company, AmeriZone. At the time, I indicated that because Idaho does not have an APA chapter web site with job listings, we were contacting fellow APA members about this opportunity directly.

Though the response we received to that individualized solicitation was tremendous, we are still left with a few gaps in our national consultant network that we’d like to fill. We also understand that despite our explanations, an unsolicited e-mail from us may have looked a bit “spam-like.” Therefore, now that we’re closer to launching this business in earnest, we’re following up our earlier contact with an invitation to view our new web site at www.AmeriZone.com to give you a better sense of what we’re putting together. And because we still have openings for work in Idaho, we’d again invite you to send us an e-mail with your resume attached if you’re interested.

Thanks again. We’ll look forward to hearing from you.

Brendan Sharkey

AmeriZone

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I haven't heard of them either - however I think that I could seriously undercut their obnoxious fee and still make a huge profit. Looking at that sample report, I could probably get that information in about 15 minutes. $2500!!! That is highway robbery! I have seen ads in the local paper for people offering the same service for something like $250. Any chump could get this info from a website.

vaughan

Cyburbian
I didn't get that email, but those guys and their announcement were all over the various western APA chapter websites a couple of months ago. I know that they hit wyoming, colorado, idaho, utah, and oregon. Maybe more. Kinda bizarre that they are contacting you directly.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Saw a bunch of ads for them on various APA websites....though he never solicited me for space on my chapter website....

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Repo Man said:
I haven't heard of them either - however I think that I could seriously undercut their obnoxious fee and still make a huge profit. Looking at that sample report, I could probably get that information in about 15 minutes. $2500!!! That is highway robbery! I have seen ads in the local paper for people offering the same service for something like $250. Any chump could get this info from a website.

They have to charge enough to pay the web guy.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo Man said:

Dude, you're stepping on my livlihood. Shut up already!!!! ;)

I know about Amerizone

Hey Richmond Jake and others: This is a response to this thread http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11503

Sharkey is aggresively trying to find anyone to be an on-call zoning chump so he can proclaim that he has a national presence. He emailed you because he likely has no one in your area. The company pitch is to help pathetic little franchisees "navigate" the permitting process in a given locality so that the franchisee can set up shop quickly. The fees Amerizone charges must've been pulled from so far up his his ass that he he tickled his own stomach! I mean where the hell do those numbers come from?

I bet your asking: What is in it for me to be an on-call zoning chump? Well, you get a 50% split of their level 1 analysis fee. For level 2, I believe it is 60%. In order to get these fees you have to toss the AICP code of ethics right out the window. Oh, and you have to be AICP to be considered to be an on-call zoning chump. Kind of a catch 22. I think he is having great difficulty securing chumps for this idea. I wonder if anybody will pay those ridiculous fees. Hope this helped.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Amerizone insider said:
Hey Richmond Jake and others: This is a response to this thread http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11503

Sharkey is aggresively trying to find anyone to be an on-call zoning chump so he can proclaim that he has a national presence. He emailed you because he likely has no one in your area. The company pitch is to help pathetic little franchisees "navigate" the permitting process in a given locality so that the franchisee can set up shop quickly. The fees Amerizone charges must've been pulled from so far up his his ass that he he tickled his own stomach! I mean where the hell do those numbers come from?

I bet your asking: What is in it for me to be an on-call zoning chump? Well, you get a 50% split of their level 1 analysis fee. For level 2, I believe it is 60%. In order to get these fees you have to toss the AICP code of ethics right out the window. Oh, and you have to be AICP to be considered to be an on-call zoning chump. Kind of a catch 22. I think he is having great difficulty securing chumps for this idea. I wonder if anybody will pay those ridiculous fees. Hope this helped.
Please register to get involved in the threads. Threads merged.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
50 Percent! Count me in. If I could make $1250 by placing a simple phone call, I would have my student loans paid off in no time.

NHPlanner

Staff member
just got an e-mail from sharkey....am running it by the chapter president before I post it.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Thankfully not yet or ever, except for reading it here.