Amphitheater designs

samraen

Cyburbian
I am currently working on gathering some design ideas for an amphitheater and was wondering if anyone had photos or knew of design ideas? The town only has a population of roughly 1,000 residents, but does host some festivals that attract lots of visitors. I am not looking for any large scale projects just one to host your local band etc...appox. 45'-x20'

wahday

Cyburbian
I am very fond of the Scott Amphitheater on Swarthmore College campus. The town is larger than yours and so is the amphitheater, but it could easily be scaled (its not that huge, but they do use it for graduation). I particularly like the incorporation of trees, the deep horizontal spaces covered in grass and the stone retaining walls. The bottom of the theater (which you cannot see in the photo) has a raised stage. I grew up in the neighboring town, so I spent a good deal of time relaxing in this space: http://www.scottarboretum.org/gardentour/amphitheater/

We are also designing (or actually have mostly designed - now we need to raise money) an amphitheater for our center. I would be happy to share the info we have for it if you want to PM me next week (too busy today to dig it out). Its probably more on the scale you are looking at. We are using gabion walls for the retaining, partly because we want to use as much volunteer labor as possible for construction, and partly because they look cool. Also, the area where the amphitheater is will also house a number of water cisterns for collecting water from the 2-story roof. We will be using miniature water towers (again, 'cause they look cool...) and the support structures will double as rigging for lighting.

This is all in design phase and moving into cost projections, but I'm willing to share what we have.

Tide

Cyburbian
These are always good as part of a park, but as a former band member do me one favor. Keep the band shell away from the road. I have seen too many layouts where the amphitheater/band shell is just thrown in a corner park. With all the traffic noise how can anyone enjoy the show?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Some of the more unique and enjoyable examples I can think of include:

- Dillon, Colorado. The audience sits on a hill with the stage at the bottom, near a lake. The back and sides are open, so the backdrop is a gorgeous view of the lake and mountains.

- Jerome, Arizona. This is a WPA-era project The seeting is located on a hill that faces the principle commercial block. The street is used as the stage. It is a good one for hosting events in the downtown.

- Whitewater, Wisconsin. The stage is permanent, set at the base of a small rise, with the lake in the background. The backdrop is made from panels that can be removed when not in use, to keep the view open.

I have photos of these and others. PM me if you are interested.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

- Dillon, Colorado. The audience sits on a hill with the stage at the bottom, near a lake. The back and sides are open, so the backdrop is a gorgeous view of the lake and mountains.
Agreed, I have been there.
Don't forget Red Rocks.

And there is the Pioneer Theater in Palo Duro Canyon State Park, TX

Last edited:

- Jerome, Arizona. This is a WPA-era project The seeting is located on a hill that faces the principle commercial block. The street is used as the stage. It is a good one for hosting events in the downtown.

- Whitewater, Wisconsin. The stage is permanent, set at the base of a small rise, with the lake in the background. The backdrop is made from panels that can be removed when not in use, to keep the view open.

I have photos of these and others. PM me if you are interested.

Cardinal,
Do you happen to have any photos, data, on the amphitheater built by the WPA during the 30's in Jacksonville, Texas? On the football stadium that was built there as well during the same timeframe (Tomato Bowl)? I am looking for photos/plans etc. Thank you. gigem1974 or email LTPEPIN@aol.com

Cardinal,
Do you happen to have any photos, data, on the amphitheater built by the WPA during the 30's in Jacksonville, Texas? On the football stadium that was built there as well during the same timeframe (Tomato Bowl)? I am looking for photos/plans etc. Thank you. gigem1974 or email LTPEPIN@aol.com
Nothing from Texas, although I do have WPA amphitheater photos from elsewhere.