• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Amputation on purpose?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Its sad that there are people who want to do this when there are others who are dreading amputation due to cancer or some other disease. I think the author in the article's right when he says that more and more people will associate themselves with this - people like the idea of belonging to a misunderstood group. What better metaphor of the "victimization of society" is there then people cutting off limbs on purpose?

BTW - any surgeon that amputates for psychological reasons should immediately have their arms chopped off as well.

donk

Cyburbian
On a less serious note,but related to amputees.

I was switching TV stations last night and saw a show on fox called Banzai, they had a one legged striker facing a one armed goalie. It was some weird Japanese show where you bet who would win. Only watched for a few minutes as it was too rotten even for a TV junkie like me.

As for people who willingly go through amputaion for psych reasons that is just weird.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
That is pathetic. What a bunch of losers. Seabishop's comment was right on target. There are people that have suffered the horror of amputation that would love to have the limbs that these morons are basically throwing in the garbage.

Its kind of like suicide...there are hundreds of thousands of people dying from cancer, aids, and other terminal illnesses, yet some people can't handle their own problems and selfishly kill themselves.

nerudite

Cyburbian
This is truly bizarre... it sounds like something that would end up in a David Cronenberg film.

BKM

Cyburbian
I've posted this before, but:

www.portalofevil.com

Whereas in the past, persons with deranged fetishes "suffered" alone, now with the glories of the Internet, they can find the 666 other persons in the world whose big sexual turn on is transvestite cattle with extra large mammaries.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Ummmmmm...OK...I'll agree with Habanero on this one: WTF?!

I don't understand how someone could mutilate themselves to this extreme! I mean, taking a chainsaw to your leg or freezing it to the point that it must be removed? That's just messed-up! My friend lost a leg in a motorcycle accident, and he's still battling depression over it. Yet, people are removing their perfectly good limbs just for the hell of it! Jeez...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
whoa.... now that's weird... weirder than that blob that apeared here and then turned out to be some whale left over...

I agree that it's quite sick, having removed perfectly good limbs just for the sake of it...

And i'll also ditto the suicide comparison, it's selfish and cowardly to do so...although in some cases the person is just screwed up and doesn't think right and ends suiciding...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
WOW zers!
there were things in life I have been very content not even knowing or thinking about

jordanb

Cyburbian
So the lesson we've learned here is that some people are ****ed in the head. Wow, that's a shocker.

I don't really see what the point of all of this rightousness is, unless it's about cost to society or something (probably not all that much).

If they want to hack off their limbs, let them. They're their limbs.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I refrained from posting on this thread because I wasnt quite sure how my reponse would be taken (most likely a troll). Unfortunately, I agree with jordanb, shocking as that may be.

Why is it unethical for a surgeon to perform a consensual amputation? After all, a surgeon can ethically take a person confused in thier sexuality (after counseling) and remove a thier penis and replace it with a facsimile of a vagina. Why not take off a leg (after counseling)? Why make these people resort to drastic measured like freezing a limb off? How ethical is that? At what point ar elective surgeries abominable?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Actually you're right... it's their body, and they decide what to do with it... still it's sick....especially if you think all of the people that strugle once they lost a limb after an accident.

Oh well, Human stupidity is infinite... still shocking though...

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
It was jaw-dropping when I first read it, but the part that compared it to the transexuals made sense. Then I thought about the ethics on the part of the doctor. I think that I have to agree with Chet and Jordanb on this one too. I think that if it is consentual between two adults, with counseling, it should be alright. I imagine that the loss of a limb in an accident would be next to unbearable, but if you WANT it, then that's another situation, a situation that can be more controlled. In a way, this also relates to the Dr. Kevorkian controversy. I'm thinking if I'm too miserable to stay alive, help me die. Who better than me(with some kind of therapy to make sure that's what -I- want to do) could be better to make that call? So I guess, If I have chosen that I would be happier with out my left arm, so be it. Perhaps science could benefit?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I think the doctors shouldn't be allowed to do it because there is no need to disfigure the person. I also think they shouldn' t do the transexual operations either (unless its a hermaphrodite case) so its obvious the medical community doesn't care what I think. I know people have plastic surgery but at least its goal is to improve and not disfigure.

Wanting your limbs amputated is obviously a psychological problem. I don't think the surgeons should agree and say "yes, you do need your leg chopped off." Its like if a psychotic person wanted a doctor to chop their arm off because "the spiders are eating me alive." The doctor shouldn't agree with their summation and chop away even if they might do it themselves.

What time to be alive - a group of planners around the country debates the pros and cons of allowing voluntary amputation!

donk

Cyburbian
Here is one tough amputee