• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

An interesting design element?

zman

Cyburbian
A fellow planner in my office has a multi-family condo complex in the works. One of the features the developer is implementing is a resident-only access car wash disguised at the end of a line of garages. I thought this was interesting and was wondering if there were any other Cyburbians who have encountered this and if any has any other interesting things like this they have seen or influenced.
ZMan

The One

Cyburbian
Car Wash

zmanPLAN said:
A fellow planner in my office has a multi-family condo complex in the works. One of the features the developer is implementing is a resident-only access car wash disguised at the end of a line of garages. I thought this was interesting and was wondering if there were any other Cyburbians who have encountered this and if any has any other interesting things like this they have seen or influenced.
ZMan

Yes, I lived in a townhome condo neighborhood that had a car wash attached to garage structure (end unit). The only problem I had with the design was that it didn't allow for drive through access. You could pull directly in to the car wash, but then had to back out (makes it tough to exit when people tend to want to stack and keep their place in line :-} ) This example was located over 100 feet from the nearest occupied building and was covered with similar architectural features as the main building and garages. Another conisderation is whether or not the neighborhood is gated, if not, could promote non-neighborhood traffic use, if it is visible from the ROW. Of course, in your area, you'll want to pay close attention to ice buildup (keeping drainage internalized) and sun patterns (melting patterns), or just limit the use of the car wash to May-Sept. Consider suggesting a yearly insurance policy by the condo association that includes the car wash facility as part of the condo association docs (May already be included). Owners could also have a code to make the thing work....?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TheOne pretty well summed up my experience too. However, mine was with a rental complex. Problems there included use by non-residents, and use at off-hours when noise was an issue. Yours being a condo may not have these problems, but you may want to suggest additions to the C&R's to address them.