• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

An internship in the middle of nowhere?

I am a third year Urban and Regional Planning major. I recently changed my major after studying Architecture for four years. I an very excited about the built environment and urban infrastructure. I tend to always focus on urban renovation, restoration, and renewal.
All that said, I need some help. I have recently moved to the middle of nowhere in a sparsely populated region of Western Maryland. I am trying to find internship opportunities, but nothing locally is of any interest to me. I have decided I will relocate for the summer to the Columbus, OH area. This way I will be in a city, and all the opportunities that go along with that will be available to me.
The problem is that I live very far from Columbus and I need help discovering internship resouces or contacts who could aid my search for a summer internship/job in Columbus, OH.
If anyone out there has any resource or contact that I may not have tried I would be so grateful for the help.
I'm sorry my post is a little long. I'm new here, and from now on I will try to keep it short.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm sure the city of Columbus, like most towns, offers a summer (often unpaid) internship program in various city departments. Your best bet is to contact the planning departments in different cities and ask to speak to their internship coordinator. Better start soon however, my city already has spots filling up for this summer.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
You could always cross the border and come down to Fairfax, VA, we love interns! We have a couple of interns on staff and they are working on some neat projects, like developing a skate park in one part of the county. Then you wouldn't have to relocate.

I wish I could find something close, but there is no way I could drive to Fairfax everyday. It is about a 3 or 4 hour commute from where I live. I grew up north of D.C. If I still lived there opportunities would abound.
I have already contacted the city planning department in Columbus, OH. Thank you, biscuit!! :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
studentplanner said:
I wish I could find something close, but there is no way I could drive to Fairfax everyday. It is about a 3 or 4 hour commute from where I live. I grew up north of D.C. If I still lived there opportunities would abound.
I have already contacted the city planning department in Columbus, OH. Thank you, biscuit!! :)
Good deal hopefully they were able to tell you something positive.

Is there anything in particular about Columbus that has you loking there for an internship? As I'm sure you're aware, Metro D.C. would have a lot more opportunities for a planning or public policy internship and is much closer to Cumberland.

Last edited: