• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

An online quiz I dare you to take

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Score 69: High in the Moderate ADD. Who would have guessed... ;)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I did it, my score 7. I must be dead.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I scored a 44, which means I have mild ADD.

My problem is that I find some of the taks I do here at work completely mind-numbing and my mind wanders from them from time-to-time. If something is interesting or challenging or even new, I have no problem dedicating 100 percent.

BKM

Cyburbian
23. Lower than I would have expected-especially since I agree with Repo Man (hence my steady advance to the 1000-post El Clube)

Although-your mind wandering while updating your housing element with new Census information is, to me, a sign of mental health, not a "disorder."

To a certain extent-ADD is a creation of the mental health "industry" to sell more drugs and billable hours.

Mastiff

Gunfighter

Good thing no questions about posting to Cyburbia while at work were on there, tho...

biscuit

Cyburbian
Whoooaaaa! 72

I might be alarmed if I'd paid attention to what that score actually meant.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
25 and borderline...

It's the daydreaming and lack of attention to uninteresting things that gets me.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
24. No problems with attention deficit meet the setback requirements but exceed the minimum lot coverage ratio.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
My fiancee would be off the chart -- if she's not moving she's sleep, and I still can't break her of that habit of answering before I finish the question.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I scored a.. hi everyone! how's the weather? I'm really busy at work, and my wedding dress- don't laugh- will be white, so anyhow, anyone going to DC? I cannot wait to get out of work today. I'm eating yogurt.

:)

no really, it's a 17.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
pete-rock said:
My fiancee would be off the chart --
My wife too. :p

I'll have to get Mary Poppins to take this one....she's been too quiet on here for too long! ;)

donk

Cyburbian
I'm a 44. Matches what the psychologist and Dr.'s have been saying, kind of ADD but not bad enough to do anything about it.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
17 for me. I answered how I usually feel.

Of course, being knocked up it seems I am way more irritable, moody, scatterbrained, etc.

Habanero

Cyburbian
SWMI!!! You're pregnant? Geez, where have I been? I'm so happy for you! Way to go Chad!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
giff57 said:
I did it, my score 7. I must be dead.
Gawd, if that's death, I beg for it.

There's really two types of ADD or AD/HD, however you want to call it - primary inattentive, where you're a daydreaming, creative type; and primary hyperactive, where you're bouncing off of walls.

I'm PI. In planning, it has its benefits ... you notice details in the built environment that completely escape others. You can see the big picture, but your process tends to be very "hunchlike" ... you can think from A to C, skipping B. (In elementary school, that manifests itself in match class; being able to solve equations without showing your work, but getting terrible grades because showing your work is 9/10th of the grade.) because you try to opvercompensate when it comes to organization, reports and papers that you write are very logical. There's also the joy of what's called "hyperfocus." However, routine work is stifiling, far more so than it is for others. It's difficult to prioritize tasks mentally (every stream of thought seems to have the same priority, so having a written system and keeping a firm schedule is a must). You can multitask easily, but on your terms; when things are coming at all angles, it's overwhelming. I think ADDers are wonderfully suited for comp planning, or current/comp planning hybrid jobs.

I do a decent job at hiding it, but it takes a lot of effort. I have to think constantly when I'm talking to someone ... "don't interrupt, think before you say something. Such things might seem automatic to other people, but they aren't to ADDers.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
34... wow.. I would have thought it was more... :p
I just can't stop daydreaming! There is one minor problem... It doesn't ask if you don't answer questions because you were daydreaming.. It only asks if you're answering before the question is done... :p

JNL

Cyburbian
40 for me

That pretty much fits with what I would have thought. I have no problem concentrating on something if it really interests me... but that doesn't happen very often!

The Irish One

I never interupt a question; however, I do answer in my head often.

Dan your thoughts on hyper focus and organizing are relatable for myself. I'm in heaven when I can organize anything. For me it's only a question of Dewey or Ranganathan.

SGB

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
I'm in heaven when I can organize anything. For me it's only a question of Dewey or Ranganathan.
OT:

TIO - Where online can I learn about the Ranganathan system? I know our office filing system isn't Dewey; I'm wondering if it's Ranganathan.....

SW MI Planner said:
17 for me. I answered how I usually feel.

Of course, being knocked up it seems I am way more irritable, moody, scatterbrained, etc.
12 for me. and for me, being knocked up has put me into a state of constant semi-concious, coma like zombie-ness. So i tried to remember what life was like in the before time. I'm sure i'd score pretty highly on a depression test, especially if it asks such questions like "If I could, I'd spend the whole day in bed, asleep".

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
31 Borderline ADD. And I just thought I was an organized planner because I like to work on lots of different projects at once. And I attributed my constant motion to a high metabolism.

So, when do I get the drugs?

SGB

Cyburbian
Depression test

Downtown said:
12 for me. and for me, being knocked up has put me into a state of constant semi-concious, coma like zombie-ness. So i tried to remember what life was like in the before time. I'm sure i'd score pretty highly on a depression test, especially if it asks such questions like "If I could, I'd spend the whole day in bed, asleep".
Hey DT and others:

Here's a link to a depression test. There are other longer ones out there, but this one is short and to the point.

I've got first hand knowledge of this one; don't mess around if you score high. Get help.

Given the serious nature of this illness, I see no need for a new thread or posting scores.

Depression Test

Re: Depression test

SGB said:
Hey DT and others:

Here's a link to a depression test. There are other longer ones out there, but this one is short and to the point.

I've got first hand knowledge of this one; don't mess around if you score high. Get help.

Given the serious nature of this illness, I see no need for a new thread or posting scores.

Depression Test
Ok, I'm only posting because I thought it was interesting. I did a pre-pregnancy eval and then a current, prego eval and went from "depression unlikely" to "minor to moderate depression". I'd be interested in seeing what SWMich comes up with.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
cowley.11 said:
31 Borderline ADD. (snip) So, when do I get the drugs?
For the borderline folks, I'd probably say that you don't need drugs. Really, only about 2% of the US population has ADD / AD/HD.

What's interesting is the effect that ADD drugs has on ADDers versus the rest of the population. Ritalin for a kid with ADD will calm them down. For a normal, it'll make them feel wired.

Re: Depression test

SGB said:
Hey DT and others:

Depression Test
Those questions are way too obvious!

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Depression test

Planderella said:
Those questions are way too obvious!
These questions are, however, the standard ones for screening purposes only. When in doubt, see your physician. Really.

[/soapbox]

donk

Cyburbian
I took the depression test, moderate to severe. No big surprise, once again it matches what the psychologist and Dr.'s have said except they want things to get worse before we can do anything.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I'd be interested in seeing what SWMich comes up with
Pre-pregnancy was a 10 at possible minor depression (which I actually thought would be higher). Pregnant was a 17, which is same ranking. The amount of sleeping is one thing that definately changed it. Plus the 'finding it hard to do trivial things'. That might be psychological ((Chad, I am ssoooo tired, could you please empty the dishwasher??))