• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

An open greeting card to Dan Tasman - Add your wishes.

Thanks Dan!

• Way to go Dan, good luck in the new job!

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • Hey, thanks Dan, I appreciate your work!

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Yo Dan - Shout out to my cyber-Bro!

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Dan, who is this Dan you speak of?

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

el Guapo

Capitalist
A little background: For those you that do not know, please let me fill you in on a few subjects dear to my heart. Cyburbia is a project that has many helping hands in it lately. There are a few of us moderators that you see spouting off, posting and corralling errant posts in to appropriate threads and forums and generally acting like we own the place. That is a shallow picture of reality.

Let me thusly offer a poorly constructed analogy: We are mere cabin stewards on the transcontinental jumbo jet, which is Cyburbia. Dan Tasman on the other hand is the person that invented flight, designed, tested, and now pilots the big Cyburbia airplane. His love child, Cyburbia, is like a tropical isle where planners can find respite from the abuse of the planning mines. It is the library of planning knowledge and lore. It is the avante-guard performance theater where we get to express our inner thespians safely away from the conservative workplace - which we know would not understand our twisted take on reality. Cyburbia is so many things to so many people. I personally love this place and the people that come here. I am sure that many of you do also.

Now, why am I bothering to post an obviously “ass-kissing” post like this? Well, I do it to remind myself what a special place this is, to remind you that this is not a place to be taken for granted, and to remind Dan that his work means something to so many people. Sometimes when you are leading a big project, you get nit picks and people tend to only point out the things that do not run right. That can wear anyone down.

[insider info] Most of you do not know this, but Dan has had a hell of a year in 2003. We all have our troubles, but I think life should get an “unsportsmanlike conduct” yellow flag for piling-on Dan this particular year. Half the distance to the goal is only fair.

To run down but a few issues: He has had numerous server issues trying to keep Cyburbia afloat. He has relocated across the country twice in one year and he has a few issues in his personal life in where he displayed as much honor and integrity as anyone I have ever met. I came to admire the man this year. Last year I just liked him. [/insider info]

All the while Dan kept an upbeat attitude and never once whined in any of his emails to the moderators. Had my life taken a similar path I would have whined like a Kennedy locked out of a Boston bar on St. Patty's Day.

In short, the guy is due for some good news. Recently he has gotten some good news. He is relocating to a new, and promising, job and I thought this would be a perfect time for those of us that care for him and appreciate his work to wish him well and to say “thanks Dan, what you do here at Cyburbia means something to me. Good luck this year. You deserve it.”

Feel free to add to this thread as you see fit.

Sorry if I put anyone in a diabetic coma. Even we conservatives are allowed to get sappy once in a while.

H

Cyburbian
Dan, congrats on the new job and I cant even describe how much I enjoy Cyburbia, what a great cyber place you have created.

Thank you.

Peace.

H

Guap- Excellent Idea. In addition to providing me with hours upon hours of entertainment, I honestly feel like I've developed close relationships with several other Cyburbanites. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for the existance of Cyburbia. Thank you, Dan Tasman. You truly are the Great Leader. :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Thanks and congrats, Dan. May your sails stay full on a downwind reach.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dan, congratulations and best of luck in the new job. We mere posters here on Cyburbia truly appreciate what you have created, oh Great One!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Well said Guap! I think many of us are grateful for Dan’s commitment to this psycho ward that is Cyburbia. However, it’s always nice to hear that your work is appreciated and that what you do is important. So here’s a big Thank You Dan.
From, the biscuit. Best of luck to you in Cleveland.

P.S.
Can we stay at your place next time we go to Cedar Point? ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hope everything works out for you Dan - thanks for letting me pretend to be God. Cyburbia is indeed an amazing place - you can truly be proud of this accomplishment.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I thank Dan for
being an incredible juggler of all what EG had listed
and for keeping Cyburbia in play for the rest us.

Again Thank You Dan.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I hope the new job works out well. The moving must be getting old by now. We appreciate it -and if we could somehow get Tina Fey to jump out of a cake at your new place we would. May 2004 be a much better year. :b:

EG said,
It is the avante-guard performance theater where we get to express our inner thespians safely away from the conservative workplace - which we know would not understand our twisted take on reality.
My God, is that true!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Thanks Dan for making a place we can all call "home" and rub elbows with others like ourselves who "get it" and are able to share such a wealth of knowlage that is the throbbing brain of Cyburbia.

Way to go Dan!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
biscuit said:
P.S.
Can we stay at your place next time we go to Cedar Point? ;)
HA I was just thinking the same thing! I have friends in Cleveland and Lakewood Ohio, and have been planning a trip anyway. Well, that, and my Dad is being shipped to Cleveland to have a heart procedure done after the holidays, so I'll at least stop in and buy ya lunch in gratitude for all you've done for us. Besides, yo unever know where us consulting types might be able to drum up some business. ;)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Thanks Dan for giving a deranged tuna a place to go. Good luck on the job. BTW I should be able to get the picture of the elusive new Metro rail cars this weekend.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Give it up for Dan. I've been either lurking or actively involved since -- dang, I don't know, 1998 maybe. I believe Dan was in New York (Albany I think) at the time. Am I wrong?

Anyway, cheers to Dan, a man I already had respect for prior to 2003 and I regret not meeting the man in person before leaving the KC area (has he left yet)?

I know I've been a bad boy from time to time. Thanks for the community -- oh great creator. I sincerely hope everything works out. Perhaps we are on parallel courses. Your recent absence has been felt.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Thanks for making every workday more bearable. Cyburbia is the first thing I check in the morning when I get here. It helps me get motivated for the day. You have created something truly unique and special. You have attracted people from all around the globe into the Cyburbia universe. People really feel a connection to this site, I know I do.

Good luck on your new job and thanks for making Cyburbia great!

Jeff

Cyburbian
WHOOP! WHOOP!

Big ups for Dan!!!

ANOTHER new job! Dan gets to travel more than the military. Thanks for everything you do and have done. Lord knows my only REAL friends are here, in Cyburbia :)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Bravo! Bravo!!!
Thanks for providing an outlet for all things planning-related, even if only remotely planning related. Hearing other peoples' stories about their jobs, towns, and odd personal habits has made me feel like more of a planner. Thanks for such a good resource/stress outlet.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Best of luck in the new job, Dan but if you are as good at it as you are our Great Leader o' Cyburbia, you'll be Great Leader for Life in no time. :-D

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Congrats and best wishes on the new job, Dan.

Thank you, Dan, for being THE brain behind the Throbbing Brain of Cyburbia. You've provided all of us planners and planner-types with the chance to grow in our knowledge of the field, and to have some fun.

Hail to the Chief of All Things Cyburbia!!!

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Cyburbia is the best board out there!

Thank you Dan for making Cyburbia cool and fun! I know how hard it is to move around the country a couple of times in one year. I've been there myself once before. Cyburbia keeps on going strong because of you and I won't forget that. Thanks!

martini

Cyburbian
Yep. From a newb, I'd like to thank Dan for putting this thing together. It's been a great source of entertainment and education. I've learned things here I wouldn't've in school. Its a great source that I plan on using in future as well. Can't wait to actually MEET some of the collective brian someday.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Hope the new job is everything you want it to be. This place is great. I am the only planner in my office, so this is my retreat to interact with other planners. Thanks!

donk

Cyburbian
Thanks Dan.

Sometimes reading your tales of woe, misery, being unlucky in love make me feel better and understand what I do wrong also.

Also, being able to communicate here helps me remember why I like planning.

Hope the new job and town are the place you are meant to be and that you know we all appreciate what you've created here.

Thanks

Jen

Cyburbian
Right on eG,

It's great to be a part of the Cyburbia revolution...

Welcome back to the Great Lakes Dan !!!!!!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Good luck on the job, Dan :)
And many thanks for creating this amazingly fun and entertaining website community! :-}
Cheers! :b: :b:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Many thanks to Dan...Cyburbia has been a hangout of mine since my college days.....and I have many friends now because of connections started here. Your work is always appreciated, even if we forget to tell you from time to time!

:)

Enjoy Cleveland, and my best wishes for a successful transition!

:b:

P.S. May you find many (or at least one) women willing to do this:

88dan6-med.jpg

BKM

Cyburbian
Cleveland's a neat city, Dan. I hope it works out for you. (Although...after Florida, the climate will be interesting :) )

SGB

Cyburbian
Thanks for all you've done for planners in cyberspace, Dan.

I hope you find everything you are looking for in Cleveland. Congrats on the new job, and good luck with the move.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Cyburbia has been a planning god-send for me. I started using the resource directory long, long ago and then 'graduated' to the forums shortly after the change to vbulletin. I've seen a lot of internet resources come and go, but cyburbia keeps getting stronger... and that's because of all the time and love you put into cyburbia, Dan. Thanks so much for everything :)

yaff

Cyburbian
Thanks

Dan,
Don't want to sound glib so I will just add that I recognize the incredible amount of time, effort, work and caring that goes into keeping this good ship afloat.

You have provided a great source of support, information, zanieness, etc. I also hope that your new move brings you lots of happiness and fulfillment. I will keep good thoughts going for you in your transition.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I don't know what to add to every other poster here, but still feel there is so much more to say. I am awed by your creation. I began using it back when it was still PAIRC and have watched it grow over the years into not just the greatest of all planning-related web sites, but a true family of planners and people interested in our built environment. Thank you, Great Leader!

Queen B

Cyburbian
Dan,
Sincerest thanks for all you do, that most of us know nothing about, this site allows us to know that we are not alone out here struggling by ourselves. There is always someone that will give us an opinion from the throbbing brain.
May your travels bring you good luck and a happy life.
We are here for you.
At A boy EG for starting this one!

prudence

Cyburbian
Best wishes, Dan. You deserve good things, and I hope this time around everything comes up roses.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Thanks for all you do, Dan. Creating Cyburbia was a tremendous feat. Maintaining it and letting others help it grow was an even bigger feat.

Best of luck with the new job.

jmf

Cyburbian
Dan,

Thanks for providing a refuge for all of us over the last few years. Congrats on the new job (and may it continue to to be a trend for the rest of us). Onwards and upwards.

belly rubs for Bailey and Guiness, too

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I would have replied sooner, but I just returned from an APA conference. Thanks dan, for all that you do.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Bravo!

Many thanks for a job well done; if not for your diligent efforts, we wouldn't have Cyburbia for the numerous good reads and interludes. And cheers for the Upper Flat, too!

With your ascendancy to the Western Reserve, will now look forward some more of those "Cleveland vs. Buffalo" comparsions as well as the obligatory Harvey Pekar interview....

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
First of all, congratulations on your new job and best wishes!

I truly appreciate this absolutely GREAT venue that you've created and that you work so tirelessly to sustain its vitality. I'm glad that I met you in Denver earlier this year during the national APA conference.

Thanks and keep on keepin' on!!! :D

Rem

Cyburbian
Thanks Dan

Cyburbia is cool. Dan I don't understand how you or the mods maintain the effort but I appreciate it. Without Cyburbia I would have access to hardly any good jokes, rarely be reminded about the foibles of Australia or see links to the weirdest the internet has to offer. Oh, or get to discuss planning stuff with a range of people who have very different perspectives. Dan's the man!

PS. Nice one eG.
PPS. I heard a rumour that Cleveland rocks.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Thanks EG on the "feel good" thread of the year. It's well deserved. Keep warm Dan !!!

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Dan,

You're awesome! I don't know what else I could add to what the other people have said. I know you've had a hell of a time maintaining this site, plus you're dealing with a professional and personal life.

Good luck in Cleveland!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Dan,

Good luck with the new job. I hope your move is quick and cheap. Thanks for getting this site up and running; I've learned so much here!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Thanks for your kind thoughts! Really ... I don't know what to say.

I'm reluctant to give details about troubles in my personal life, because I don't want a pity party. My family, close friends, and dogs have been my ear for the past year, and their perspectives lent me a lot of strength. I learned a lot, and I think I emerged a stronger person.

The job: about six months after moving to the Kansas City area, I got laid off. Many other local governments in the area were cutting their planning staff too, so staying in KC wasn't an option. I had a few interviews outside the area, and the folks for a local planning agency in suburban Cleveland thought enough to make an offer. I'll be doing more comprehensive planning, and although I'm nervous I'm looking forward to something where I can excercise some thought and creativity. I LOVE Cleveland -- it's a city with good bones, a great heart, and a very strong sense of regional self-identity -- and moving here brings me closer to my roots.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Does this mean I have to change your location on the Weather Map and Dot Map?

Eh, no worries. It will be good to have you living in Ohio!

B'lieve

Cyburbian
Hmmm, Florida to KC to Cleveland...could fate be bringing you home to Buffalo the long way? :D

Wherever you end up, many thanks for building such a great site and great little community, and holding it together through some hard times. My brain also thanks you for the several wrinkles it has gained since I've started lurking (and now posting) here.

May the worst be over, and things look up for you from here on.