• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

An Urban Design Certificate?

I will be studying Urban Planning in a school with a policy focus which suits me fine, but looking through some lit on urban design I think it may be a great thing to be able to do. I have no design background now. Wondering if someone can direct me to a certificate program or year-long masters directed to people with an MUP.

I would also love to hear from people involved in the act of urban design. What is the day to day process of urban design? How much creative insight is utilized in the task? Is it better that planning? :-}

The Berkeley urban design program admits planning masters. I think its a one year program. You'd apply after you complete your MUP/MCP/MSUP there or at another institution. I'm doing the MIT urban design certificate program but I think you have to be either a current MCP, MArch or SMArch candidate to apply for it as a joint credential with your prmiary degree.

Hope that helps.

UIUC starting new program in UD

Hi Contour--I did my undergraduate at Iowa State in planning, and now I am at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana where I just finished my masters and I am starting my PhD in the fall. Check out the website I am helping organize...

http://www.urban.uiuc.edu/civitas

If you are looking for a program, we are beginning one here. Email me at borich@uiuc.edu if you are interested...I would love to talk to you about it!

Genevieve

Contour said:
I will be studying Urban Planning in a school with a policy focus which suits me fine, but looking through some lit on urban design I think it may be a great thing to be able to do. I have no design background now. Wondering if someone can direct me to a certificate program or year-long masters directed to people with an MUP.

I would also love to hear from people involved in the act of urban design. What is the day to day process of urban design? How much creative insight is utilized in the task? Is it better that planning? :-}