• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ancient Urban Planning

brandonmason

Cyburbian
Hi --

I hope this message isn't inappropriately off-topic. I am researching urban planning in the Ancient Roman empire, particularly in Rome itself and possibly also Pompeii. I wanted to ask if any of you wise urban planners have studied this subject and could refer me to any especially valuable resources. I'm finding a good amount of information, but would love ot hear if you have any input.

Thanks!

Brandon

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
City: A Story of Roman Planning & Construction by David Macaulay has somewhat simplistic text, but is really good at visualizing and rendering the planning techniques and codes of the Romans.

It's a good supplant to more academic books.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Thanks to PBS, I do know that Roman military outposts were all constructed according to a basic pattern.

donk

Cyburbian
Good old "planning canadian communities"(Gerald Hodge) has a short section(3-4 pages) on ancient city planning (roman and greek cities).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
If you can check with PBS, there is a series… I think it was called The Evolution of Cities. It talks about how and why things where designed in many of the pre roman cities, and how it influences urban design today.

Oh, and even off topic questions are welcome here… trust me.