• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

And here they come, folks... The obstructionists!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
The last two days, I've had several people in my office to protest the Local Improvement District on a project that is much needed in the town. Here's the skinny:

-It's a $900,000 project, including water and sewer repairs, storm drain works, street reconstruction (including sidewalk/parking/bike lanes) and amenities.

- The City is paying for the water & sewer, doing much of the work on the storm drainage, and what SD work is left will be paid by a citywide fee.

- Of the street portion, which is around $520,000, I've gotten a $400,000 grant... leaving $120,000 for property owners. Or... about $25 a front foot.

- A 100' wide lot would owe $2,500 over 20 years at 5%.

Now, we had two property owner meetings, where they got to chose where they wanted sidewalk, how they wanted curb cuts, intersection configuration, trees... the works. But it's only when they get an estimated cost to be billed that the ones who didn't come to meetings want to come and complain.

I have to convince Council not to waffle, even though they cannot come up with the 2/3 needed to halt the project.

Suggestions? (Aside from slapping the people who come to complain... I already had that thought.)

Jen

Cyburbian
I would think the idea of repairs to the sewer system and protection of your drinking water along with improved pedestrian access would be evidence enough that the property owner is getting a good investment on their $2500 dollars. Pull out any past sewer overflow complaints or bad water sampling to add to the project portfolio. They might need to be reminded why these improvements are necessary.

Can they pay off the cost up front, or in two or three equal installments with no fees? Who finances 2500 dollars over 20 yrs? That's crazy.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mastiff: It sounds as though you guys have done this before (by the level of neighborhood involvement). Do you have access to any comps for sales pre- and post-construction of these improvements in other neighborhoods? That would allow you to stress the positive effect on property value.

I wish I could get my walk fixed (and all the other goodies) for $25 / lf.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Gedunker said:
Mastiff: It sounds as though you guys have done this before (by the level of neighborhood involvement). Do you have access to any comps for sales pre- and post-construction of these improvements in other neighborhoods? That would allow you to stress the positive effect on property value.

Their reply: If the value goes up, my property taxes go up! Of course, it isn't true... but once they get on a roll, it's tough to stop them.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mastiff said:
Their reply: If the value goes up, my property taxes go up! Of course, it isn't true... but once they get on a roll, it's tough to stop them.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. You see it in their eyes: that narrow, piercing stare as if you are the tax collector lifting the greenbacks right out of their wallet. Those folks, all you can do is be polite and hope they go away as quickly as possible.

You could use the favorable comps to keep the Council from waffling and to shore up support from those citizens that favor the project.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Gedunker said:
You could use the favorable comps to keep the Council from waffling and to shore up support from those citizens that favor the project.

Got one better... They can't actually kill the project, because you need 2/3 of the owners of the property to do that. The school district (with a $52,000 bill) has more than 1/3 of it. They are sending a letter of support... and a person to the meeting.

plankton

Cyburbian
from one befuddled OR planner to another

Good work Mastiff. I'm familiar with your area and firmly believe that you are doing what's necessary to allow the Ridge to prosper. As you know, you can't get anywhere without the infrastructure. I don't have a great way to overcome the all-too- common Oregonistic anti-tax sentiment but I encourage you to meet with the Councilors one on one (over and over if you must) to explain the benefits in as simple terms as possible. Oh yea, and wear cowboy boots and a shiny belt buckle every chance you get. ;o)

$25 per foot - that's great.

Now, about that CFFL super bowl win........

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: from one befuddled OR planner to another

plankton said:
$25 per foot - that's great.

Now, about that CFFL super bowl win........

$25 a foot is an outstanding price... without the grant I wrote it would be over $100.

And what a great win, eh?!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
This lady was recently assessed for a new sidewalk and she called our Director of Public works and asked for her refund check for the assesment since she was moving. I guess she felt that since she would no longer use the sidewalk, she should get her money back.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Repo Man said:
This lady was recently assessed for a new sidewalk and she called our Director of Public works and asked for her refund check for the assesment since she was moving. I guess she felt that since she would no longer use the sidewalk, she should get her money back.

Too funny...

Now, we have the dreaded "petition" circulating to stop the project. I do have 45% of the affected owners on my side, and only need 33%. I just need a Council with some spine.

donk

Cyburbian
But what about the children?

That $16.50* a month is going to mean one less trip to McDonalds.

* Repayment of $2500 paid over 20 years @ 5% interest as calculated by excel.

As for a council with a spine, if you find one let me know.