• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

And I cry in relief

Queen B

Cyburbian
Don't know that very many of you know what my family has been through this last year but last week justice was done and we are sleeping much better.

The short of it is that my daughter who rarely does anything except work hard, take care of her two sons decided one night to go out and celebrate that she had made employee of the month with one of the girls at work. She works at a juvinile detention facility.

A gunman came into the bar to shoot a rival gang member, who he killed. In the process my daughter was shot in the lower left leg shattering both bones. She has spent a year re cooperating but will never be the same.

Just thought I would share. I am so lucky to still have her!!!
Her name is Christine.
I don't know if this link thing will work or not I am not real good at this stuff!
http://cjonline.com/stories/011704/loc_sentencing.shtml

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Queen B said:
A gunman came into the bar to shoot a rival gang member, who he killed. In the process my daughter was shot in the lower left leg shattering both bones. She has spent a year re cooperating but will never be the same.[/url]
Wow ... in Kansas, even. Scary, and sad. I'm glad for you, your daughter, and her children.

Crime in the US is just ... weird. Seems like there's very little street crime, muggings, theft and so on. I can take long walks in my neighborhood and leave the door unlocked; I was able to do the same thing when I lived in an up-and-coming but still rough around the edges Denver neighborhood. Still, though, the shootings ...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Glad she's getting better.

Blessings to you and your family

Last edited:
I'm sorry what happened to your daughter, but it's great to see that justice was served and she's healing. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Great to hear that justice has been done. Here's hoping that your family stays safe and strong and your daughter makes a full recovery.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I hope that your daughter will continue to recover and that your family can put this behind you. I will also hope the shooter never enjoys a moment of freedom for the rest of his life.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Don't know what more to say then what's been said,
But,sorry, glad your daugther and family are healing.

Please update us on that DRB (dirty rotten b@#$@&d) sentencing on March 16.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I'm glad to hear everything is positive regarding your daughters condition. I witnessed a gang fight in a mall in Wichita about 8 years ago. The nerf police were overwhelmed and we briskly went the other way.

el Guapo

Capitalist
QB - I had no idea. I'm so sorry to hear of your family's ordeal. My thoughts are with you.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It is indeed a sad story. I wish that your daughter has the best recovery possible and that you are satisfied with the justice served. I personally am hoping for "the hard 50". Best wishes QB.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Bless all of you for your sweet words.
It has been really hard and yes we are looking for a better year ahead.
I, Thank all of you!

H

Cyburbian
Definitively nice to hear that your daughter survived. Also nice to see that justice was done.

Rem

Cyburbian
What a difficult time you must have been having. The best wishes of the Rem family go out to you and your family. I hope you enjoy a happier new year.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Having been through that with someone close to me, I hope the sentencing brings you some closure.

My thoughts are with you QB.

Queen B

Cyburbian
And Justice Is Served.....

The man that shot my daughter just received a Hard 50 sentence.

She and her sons 2 & 5 are moving home to start a new life here. It will make my life crazy but I can't wait to get her out of Topeka. Just heard this week that Topeka was named number one for crime in the list of small cities.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Queen B said:
The man that shot my daughter just received a Hard 50 sentence.
Outstanding!

She and her sons 2 & 5 are moving home to start a new life here. It will make my life crazy but I can't wait to get her out of Topeka. Just heard this week that Topeka was named number one for crime in the list of small cities.
Good Luck, Queen. This is the start of something new, and that's always exciting.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I join all the rest of the Cyburbianites in expressing my hopes your daughter continues to heal and prosper. She seems like quite a young lady and built of strong stuff (no doubt the apple does not fall far from the tree.). It is good to know the man responsible will pay for his crimes.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
May god bless you and your family. I am glad to see that he is not going to get out of it, and that he will have to do time.

Tragic things happen to good people.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My thoughts and prayers of thanks are with you and your daughter. I'm glad to see justice served.

It's too bad it appears that the man who shot your daughter has a following. WTF???

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I hope you and are family can successfully/happily move on from this episode - good luck with the new living arrangements!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
One of my friends that works in one of the States prison's says she can't wait for him to get there. It is great to have connections!
After reading the article and then reading this:
"I'll be out in a year or two," Kirtdoll called back to supporters, flashing a V-sign at them.
I hope they give him a good old fashioned beat down.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I hope all goes well for your family. I hope that man gets an old fashioned welcome when he gets to prison.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'm glad to hear it. Its amazing the lack of remorse some people have. If he's out in a year or two hopefully its because he's dead.