• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

And I raaaaaan.....

Ok, I'm so excited, I signed up for my very first race, ever - the Freihofer Run for Women 5K. This morning was my last training run - 9 minute miles, which should guarantee that I won't be the very last runner across the finish - before the race on Saturday.

So who is running/racing what and where this summer, and do you have any last minute advice? :D

donk

Cyburbian
From my bike racing and XC ski racing days:

Don't drink(liquor) the night before.

Only eat food you know is stomach safe the day before and morning of the event.

Bring your own toilet paper, porta potties tend to run out.

Lay everything you'll need out the night before and pack it or dress in it in the morning.

Bring a towel to clean up with and change behind and a garbage bag for wet clothes (in case of rain)

Bring a change of socks and shoes for after the run.

Get out of sweaty clothes as soon as you finish the event, your body and those around you will love you for it.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella and I walk/run in the annual New Orleans Crescent City Classic, which is a 10K race that courses through the Vieux Carre and the Esplanade Ridge Local Historic District and finishes in City Park. A huge party with food, bands, beer, and other goodies is held in City Park's Tad Gormley Stadium just beyond the finish line. The race and party are great and we have loads of fun.

My advice is to wear comfortable, sturdy running shoes and drink water along the course.

Best wishes! :)

Seabishop said:
The only advice I can give is that Freihofer's donut holes are DELICIOUS!
Yes. Isn't it ironic they're sponsoring a fitness run, when they're partially the reason for obesity in the capital district? stupid donut holes!

donk

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Yes. Isn't it ironic they're sponsoring a fitness run, when they're partially the reason for obesity in the capital district? stupid donut holes!
My way to escape the fat associated with donut holes is to not eat them, only the rest of the donut. Actually, I always save them for later and end up forgetting where I put them so I have to have another donut. ;)

Don't forget Tim hortons is the sponsor of the Canadian Cycling Association. If only we could get canadian club back like the old days.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Downtown--
I ran the Freihofer's last year and I'll offer this advice: start amongst the 4 minute milers. I hadn't run a 5k in over a year so I went conservatively and started back at the 9 minute marker--bad idea. It took forever to get going and was very frustrating. Also, everyone who I've spoken to about my experience looked at me like I was crazy for starting at the 9 min mark and all insisted that the next time I run it I should start around the 4 minute mark. Look out for little girls too--eventhough they have the kids race, they let little girls run in the big race and some like to link arms and run in little packs--they're cute, but tough to pass. Anyway, good luck--I wish I was running it this year, but I'm going to the City Saturday morning for my friend's bday. I'm going to do the Bruegger's 5k on June 27th though. Let us know how you finish! :)

Elisabeth

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have a lateral displacement in my knee that keeps me from running, tennis, and hard court volleyball. But back about 12 years ago I ran a few 5k and 10k races, and even started training for one marathon (my boss was on the board, no pressure!).

I mirror what donk says, and if you really get serious about this and want to run more, carbs ARE you friend. Carb load while you train, and whey protein drinks are a great rebuilder.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'm glad ya'll like running and good luck, downtown but it's something that I never took to. Running sprints for soccer or baseball? No probem. Distance running? I hated it from the very first step and could not wait to finish. I can hike till the cows come home, but I just have some block to distance running :-c

I echo elisabeth let us know how you finish!

Rem

Cyburbian
Downtown that is just being mean. You know that we have just started winter here. Daily maximums are now down to about 22C (72F) and the drought is giving us clear blue skies all day :)-D) but to drag out the "now summer is here" line ....

Actually we had the Australian Masters Rowing Championships last weekend so there is no racing anything for a while. Mrs Rem performed very well, making the final of both her events and being narrowly pipped for a bronze medal in one. My crew came stone motherless in the heat of our only event.

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Downtown that is just being mean. You know that we have just started winter here. Daily maximums are now down to about 22C (72F) and the drought is giving us clear blue skies all day :)-D) but to drag out the "now summer is here" line ....
Don't complain, we're only getting up to 15C (60F) lately :(

Yay for Mrs Rem!

Elisabeth said:
Look out for little girls too--eventhough they have the kids race, they let little girls run in the big race and some like to link arms and run in little packs--they're cute, but tough to pass.
Hee hee, I have this image of Downtown ruthlessly bowling over all the little girls who get in her way :-D (though I'm sure you wouldn't, Downtown!)

donk

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Don't complain, we're only getting up to 15C (60F) lately :(
Sorry to say that it is not much warmer here. A weird stat, it was warmer christmas day than it was monday where I used to live. How is that for crap weather in the summer.

Don't worry we'll set you up with a kenora dinner jacket and a down parka for your visit.

JNL

Cyburbian
[OT]
donk said:
Don't worry we'll set you up with a kenora dinner jacket and a down parka for your visit.
What is this kenora dinner jacket you speak of?[/OT]

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sunny, with a blue sky, gentle breeze, and about 70F/21C here in Wisconsin (only 75 miles/120 kilometers north of Chicago. No rain now for two days!

JNL

Cyburbian
That must be another Law of Cyburbia - someone mentions the weather and then we get international weather comparisons :-D

Doitnow

Cyburbian
JNL said:
That must be another Law of Cyburbia - someone mentions the weather and then we get international weather comparisons :-D
Ya! you are right JNL.It's a natural and irresistable feeling.

As for me, summer hasn't been that bad this time around here.
It's been raining lightly since last night. Weathers getting excellent and looks like the Monsoon is coming soon. You can smell it and I have to quickly plan to plant the right trees outside my house. The last cyclone uprooted two of them.

Hey Downtown!
I'm no runner really although I played many sports earlier. So can't advise you much on that.
But all the best of stamina to you. :)

donk

Cyburbian
JNL said:
[OT]

What is this kenora dinner jacket you speak of?[/OT]

Can't find a good picture, think your typical wool or flannel lumber jack jacket.

They come in a variety of colours and styles, but all are plaid. We'll show you one in real life at the Bay(old simpsons)

Rem said:
Um... your start of winter is way warmer than our start of summer. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 20C. Now who's the meanie? :)

The One

Cyburbian
Suggest.....

donk said:
From my bike racing and XC ski racing days:

Don't drink(liquor) the night before.

Only eat food you know is stomach safe the day before and morning of the event.

Bring your own toilet paper, porta potties tend to run out.

Lay everything you'll need out the night before and pack it or dress in it in the morning.

Bring a towel to clean up with and change behind and a garbage bag for wet clothes (in case of rain)

Bring a change of socks and shoes for after the run.

Get out of sweaty clothes as soon as you finish the event, your body and those around you will love you for it.
I suggest for the best performance:

Night Before:
1 whole pizza with triple sausage and triple peperoni
1 two liter bottle of coca cola
1 half gallon of rockyroad ice cream
3 twinkies
sit for at least 6 straight hours watching your favorite tv shows....
Snack on 1 whole bag of extra butter pop corn
Have wife obtain LARGE cookie dough Blizzard from DQ
Night Cap - 1 Zombie (4 different types of Rum, 181proof/80 proof dark and light/40 proof dark) observe layering effect....

Morning of race:

Consume 1 pound of Bacon
Eat a dozen eggs
Drink 1/2 gallon of Orange Juice
3 twinkies

On way to race:
McDonalds egg/sausage mcmuffin (3)

Good Luck

The One said:

Night Before:
3 twinkies
Night Cap - 1 Zombie (4 different types of Rum, 181proof/80 proof dark and light/40 proof dark) observe layering effect....

Morning of race:

Consume 1 pound of Bacon
Eat a dozen eggs
3 twinkies

On way to race:

Good Luck
I would run the whole race as a sprint.... for the bathroom!

donk

Cyburbian
The One said:

Night Before:
3 twinkies

Morning of race:

Consume 1 pound of Bacon
Eat a dozen eggs
3 twinkies

On way to race:

Good Luck
That sounds like the post race meal, plus some steak and potato salad after a century (100 mile Road ride) ;)

Rem

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Um... your start of winter is way warmer than our start of summer. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 20C. Now who's the meanie? :)
Yes I know, but it was entirely deliberate. :)

We had a good weekend too BTW.

Ok, as promised - here are my results:
Time - 32: 54
Place - 2,102nd

It was a lot of fun - a little ego wounding to get passed by 8 year olds and great grandmothers and a 6 month pregnant lady, but still - I came in about the middle of the pack, and didn't walk a single step of it. I'll be joining Elisabeth in the Bruegger's 5K in two weeks, I enjoyed it so much!