• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

And you think you have problems with your eyes...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Read, then click

This poor guy was minding his own business & he felt an eye irritation.

Thinking that it was just regular dust, he started to rub his eye, in an effort to remove the dust.

Then his eyes got really red, so he bought some eye drops from the pharmacy. A few days passed and his eyes were still red and seemed a little swollen.

Again he dismissed it as dust & continued rubbing, hoping it would go away.

As the days went by, the swelling of his eye got worse & the redness increased until he decided to go and see a doctor for a check up. The doctor immediately wanted an operation, being afraid of a tumor growth or cyst.

At the operation, what was thought to be a growth or cyst, actually turned out to be a.. Link will not work... posted lower.

actually turned out to be a live worm. What was thought initially to be just mere dust actually was an insect's egg......

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Too much traffic... the site is down.
I guess a lot of other people wanted to see this as well.

nerudite

Cyburbian
If it's what I think it is, it's probably an old urban legend. The worm in the eye thing is real... the story michaelskis reported isn't. Here's the link to the story, including the pictures... http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-eye-worm.htm

Bizarre as it may seem, the preceding photos are authentic, although the same cannot be said of the accompanying narrative, which is a fabrication.

We don't know who assembled the emailed collage, but after a painstaking search we did find the source of the individual images, an article entitled "Anterior Orbital Myiasis Caused by Human Botfly," published in the July 2000 number of the Archives of Ophthalmology, a journal of the American Medical Association.

"Myiasis" is the medical term for a maggot (fly larva) infestation of a living body. In this case, the patient was a 5-year-old boy treated by U.S. Air Force surgeons in a rural area of the Republic of Honduras. "The respiratory pore of a late-stage larva of the human botfly (Dermatobia hominis) was located in the anterior orbit," says the article abstract. "The larva was gently removed under general anesthesia through a small incision in the conjunctiva." The patient was apparently none the worse for wear.

Habanero

Cyburbian
That's just like the "don't eat sushi" email. :-# Not true, but enough to make your skin crawl.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok I am just going to post the pic... Close your eyes if you do not want to see it...

Floridays

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
That's just like the "don't eat sushi" email. :-# Not true, but enough to make your skin crawl.
OMG and I went with friends for sushi at lunch...thank God it was BEFORE reading this story. :-#

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Lol I grew up in Panama' and strange crap got in folks bodies all the time, the bugs where EVERYWHERE!

That had to hurt like hell as it grew. Poor kid.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I apologize but would like to contest the yellow card in due to even distribution of ruling. My attempt to create a link earlier was unsuccessful.

After seeing the pic in the “donate your body” thread that showed a dead and preserved body and fetus that had been partly removed, shows not only gross nature, but also nudity, and since that was considered appropriate, I felt that this would be as well.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
michaelskis said:
I apologize but would like to contest the yellow card in due to even distribution of ruling. My attempt to create a link earlier was unsuccessful.

After seeing the pic in the “donate your body” thread that showed a dead and preserved body and fetus that had been partly removed, shows not only gross nature, but also nudity, and since that was considered appropriate, I felt that this would be as well.
Didn't see that one. I'll get rid of that now.

Be glad I restored your neverending beer thread, though. :D