• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Animated Avitar Week

el Guapo

Capitalist
ITS ANIMATED AVITAR WEEK! You get to replace your standard avatar with one that is no more than 80x80 pixels. They must be removed by July 7, 2002.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ah Dan --

Any way you can temporarily allow larger size avatars? Even at 80 x 80 pixels, my favorites are still more than the allowed 3k file size.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I changed the preferences, so the maximum size for an animated avatar is 25K. Normally, the largest permitted avatar size is 3K.

80x80, still. If there's an image that you want to use badly enough, mail it to cyburbia (at) cyburbia.org, and I'll resize it.

Again, ONE WEEK ONLY! Can't be having animated graphics everyday, you know ... maybe just for special occasions, like four day work weeks in the States. Maybe.

Cheers!

el Guapo

Capitalist
WHOOPS!

Dan,
It looks like I'm shooting at my Friendly Neighbors to the North with your current Avitar. We can't have that. I don't even know for sure they enjoy socialized medicine.

Now if they were members of PETA.....

EDITED

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Some avatars for tranplanner.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay ... something that isn't north of the border. Who want this one?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I can't resist. One more for tranplanner.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I think bturk should have used this.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i'm just going to animate my usual avitar. i'd be curious to see what others could make happen doing the same with thier own.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I can think of one person who can use this.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Wheee

Ex this....

well ok put a whip in her hand or dress her in latex and im there

btw might have new bf :)

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
PlannerGirl wrote:
Wheee

Ex this....

well ok put a whip in her hand or dress her in latex and im there

btw might have new bf :)
Ohhhh....do I sense another provocative PlannerGirl thread in the making? :p

Seriously...congrats and good luck with this one!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
An Equal Opportunity Post

Avatars for .... you know who! :gun

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Looks like it may need to be cleaned.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Finally, one more, in the name of equal time.

Now, back to being a damn liberal again. Hey, watch where you point that thing ... treat it like it's loa';aj'da /.,435

NO CARRIER

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
As for allowing animated avatars permanently -- well, consider that you need at least 10K for a decent one, and 25K to allow a bit of flexibility. I'd rather use the bandwidth on the photo gallery, when that goes online. They're also visually distracting ... if you're reading a serious message about ... oh, the evolution of land use patterns in Houston, it's tough to stay focused when there's an avatar on the left, showing green farts puffing out of Cartman's butt.

When it's over, does that mean "no more animated avatars, eve?" Nope. Animated Avatar Week will be back. It'll have to be a special occasion, though. Sorry, EG, buying a case of fresh .45 cartridges may seem special to you, but in the grand scheme of things ... :D

Have fun. It's Animated Avatar Fortnight.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Oh sure -

--just about the time I'm tired of animated avatars, I find one I like: