• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Announcing Auto Avatar Week

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Another license plate you'll probably never see.

donk

Cyburbian
OT -Bikes

It seems a lot of people on this board ride mountain bikes. Being fairly new to the 'sport' I've been under the impression that Trek, Gary Fisher and Specialized made the the top of the line bikes. Now I'm getting the feeling that there is a class of bike way above Fisher, et al... True?
Statler

In my eyes there are two types of bikes, the utensil / appliance class bikes (Trek/GF/Norco/Giant/GT/ Schwinn) and then there are the gourmet type bikes (Dekerf, Seven, Richard Sachs, Eddy Merkyx, Marinoni, Serotta, Merlin, IF, Fat City any local small builder). The second group tend to be small manufacturers / artists at what they do. I know some are big companies, but the image they sell is the little guy doing it in workshop the way it has always been done (by hand with machines)

They both are fun to ride, but the second group seems to speak to you more and be more personal when purchasing and using.

I have called up Chris Dekerf because of a bent chain suck plate and have received a new one free of charge within 2 days. I broke my Trek road frame and was without a bike for 2 months. The LBS worked hard to speed up the delivery, but thats how long it took for them to determine if there was a problem and decide to replace the frame.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The Quebec Tranplanner plate might not be that unlikely. My wife is French-Canadian, and would very much like to move to a more bilingual community (I keep telling her that Toronto is bilingual, but she says Chinese doesn't count).

I could see us in Ottawa within the next ten years, and it's quite possible that we could end up across the river in Alymer or something.

Now a Saskatchewan plate...that would be unlikely.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: Slightly OT...

statler said:
It seems a lot of people on this board ride mountain bikes. Being fairly new to the 'sport' I've been under the impression that Trek, Gary Fisher and Specialized made the the top of the line bikes. Now I'm getting the feeling that there is a class of bike way above Fisher, et al... True?

Well you aren't going to get more top of the line than the 2003 Specialized Epic when it comes out next month.

As far as bikes go, they are only as good as the components you have on them. My current mountain bike is the 2002 "Bike of the Year" -- Specialized Rockhopper Comp. And can I tell you it is a total piece of s*** because of the junk components they put on it to keep the price below $1500. It is going to cost me a small fortune to upgrade the components on it so that it is even fun to ride. Right now it is an English 3 speed, 1 gear to go uphill, 1 to go downhill, and 1 for everything else.

I'm a roadie, so having the thing collect dust in my garage doesn't bother me too much. I just wish I would've taken my own advice that I always tell people about road bikes....build a custom bike, never buy a complete bike.

donk

Cyburbian
Here's the license plate for your car.

Are they (C40's) as nice as you hear?

There seems to be two groups of people, those that love them and those that love to slag those that love them.

I'm the exact opposite of you - ride my road bike cause its fun and easy, love to ride my mountain bike (hence a 8 year old trek 2100 that has had 0 maintenance done to it) vs my 2000 Dekerf Team sl that is cleaned and babied after every ride

Jeff

Cyburbian
That is a C-40 HP in the picture. Notice the diamond chainstay. I am definitly one who loves them. One day I will own one too.

I just hate this one guy who I ride with sometimes who has a C-40 and gets dropped all the time.

If you're riding a C40 you better be pulling and not off the back.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ahh my dream. Ok so they have some problems but there is something so...moving about the Alfa spider

in silver or gray please

el Guapo

Capitalist
Ok. I found this one nearby

72skeleton.JPG

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Ok. I found this one nearby

El Guapo said:
72skeleton.JPG

At least this is realistic... It's probably what I'd start with if I ever have the time/money to restore one of these. *sigh*

BKM

Cyburbian
I'm too lazy and computer illiterate to shrink down the jpeg I have of my Subaru, so this will have to do.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Time to jump in, I guess.

Normally, my family shies away from Chevys, but this is mine and my brothers' work in progress:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
You El Gurl-po!

El Guapo - I give you *THREE SNAPS* in a "ZEEE FORMATION".

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'd like to know what EG was doing browsing that site? I suppose he will give some lame excuse like " I was searching for "Volvo" and it just came up".

el Guapo

Capitalist
Sorry - I still like the gals.

giff57 said:
I'd like to know what EG was doing browsing that site? I suppose he will give some lame excuse like " I was searching for "Volvo" and it just came up".

Nope - A commie "fabulous" friend sent me the link to get my goat.