• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Another "Busted" Thread

BKM

Cyburbian
I think our Director saw too many multicolored, flickering screens NOT associated with Microsoft Word documents or Excel spreadsheets

Well, we got "the lecture" during our staff meeting this morning. I am certainly one of the guilty parties, as I do use the 'net as a background/break/distraction

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm guilty, but I get all of my work done on time or before deadline.

We found out one of the cleaning crew men got onto someone's computer (they forgot to turn it off) and looked at "dirty" sites. 8-!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I always wonder why the planner at work who shopped on the Internet for a whole house full of furniture never got caught.

I check Cyburbia a few times a day, and maybe the weather if it's stormy, and some days I surf a lot at lunch, which doesn't seem to be a problem.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, this is officially my "break," so...

I, too, get my work done. I'm not sure I feel too guilty about Cyburbia, as it can definitely be work-related. My biggest problem is I tend to let myself get distracted-focus is sometimes a problem for me. Still, the first sentence stands.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I nipped that problem in the bud by putting my Cyburbia mod / admin helper duties as a 'related professional activity' on my resume, and we discussed it in my interview. I just avoid FAC postings during the work day, have avatars turned off, etc, to minimize the unrelated aspects. I requently stay logged in during the day in case there is trouble, but the screen is minimized and I usually just pop in to see whats up and pop back out.