• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Another dating thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Lee Nellis said:
And if you want to play with stereotypes, watch out. Most truly rural planners are exempt, but urban and suburban planners are terribly easy to stereotype.

The going stereotype is ...

Rural, western exurban/county or Alaskan planner: eccentric, gruff, often libertarian except for land use-related issues. Spotted at: Western Planner conferences, stockman's shows, buried underneath the dirt a few hundred feet off the I-25 frontage road.

Meet the Planning Director of ... oh,, Bozeman or Gilette or Montrose or Dodge City or someplace like that.

abbey_tv.jpg

Old school urban or suburban planner: eccentric, excepting the libertarian/gruff exterior. (Old school = old enough to have had membership in the AIP or ASPO). Spotted at: the bar at APA conferences, Planners Network conferences.

Check out the Ann Arbor planning staff on one of their weekends:

no_more_victims.jpg

Urban or suburban planner: blue shirts and Dockers. Spotted at: anyplace else.

Here's the gang from ... oh, Schaumburg or Grand Prairie or some other mega-burb that can afford to send all their staff to APA conferences.

blue_shirts.jpg

These guys are going to hook up with the girls in the power dresses from Scottsdale.

nmw04.jpg

Cyburbanites: Spotted at: Walgreens, Shopper's Drug Mart or Boots, waiting for their medication; in bondage; getting yelled at by their Planning Commission.

Dan said:
So ... I propose a experiment ... The Great Cyburbia Fake Personal Ad. Or ads, whatever. We create several ads ... the generic girl, the whiskey tango girl, the alpha girl, and maybe some male equivalents, throw 'em online, and see who responds.

lol. I was thinking about posting a 14 year old photo of me to this thread -- cut from a family portrait, where I was standing next to hubby -- to violate two of your pet peeves. lol. I can donate it to the cause, if you like. lol. (I am already thinking "Will I regret this?" and, I guess, we would have to start the profile with "A bunch of my friends DARED me...") :-D

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dan said:
4) Fudging the age. This woman claimed to be 30.

age03.jpg

I think she might be telling the truth Dan. That looks like an Ozark or Meth 30 if I ever saw it. She's a keeper. I'm just betting that she was looking for an urban planner in her wish list also. ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Are there generic male ads?

I'm a 29 year old SWM looking for "Ms. Right." I'm a take-charge kind of guy looking for an energetic woman to share moonlit walks. I like reading, strolls on the beach with friends and drinks by the fire. Let me be your teddy bear / Let me be your knight in shining armor / Let me be your superman.

This is fun but are we messing too much with the lonely-hearted who may "fall in love" with these ads?

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
Dumb!

:-0

Dan said:
Check out the Ann Arbor planning staff on one of their weekends:

no_more_victims.jpg

Wrong!

They are quite normal. I worked with a couple of the Ann Arbor planning staff on a number of student projects and I don't see anyone I know in that pic. I know, it's a standard protest fun-pic. I can email this thread to the Ann Arbor planners, if you would like?

http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/Planning/staff.html

;-)

Seabishop said:
This is fun but are we messing too much with the lonely-hearted who may "fall in love" with these ads?
I suppose that would probably be the point at which I would back out. But I have a lot of ambivalence about your comment. On the one hand, I agree it is cruel to hurt people who may already be in a lot of pain. On the other hand, I think "protecting" people on the assumption that they are too weak to cope... only makes their situation more intractable with reinforcing negative messages. Sigh. Sometimes, falling off a cliff is the quickest and most efficient way to get down to the bottom of things.

But I will not pontificate further since this isn't supposed to be a "serious" thread. :)

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
age03.jpg

I'm surprised no one has said anything about this woman actually having her cat in the photo. The funniest part of the photo, to me, is the cat. It looks like it's saying "This woman is WAY too lonely, if you know what I mean. Get me the hell out of here!"

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
BiteMeElmo said:
age03.jpg

I'm surprised no one has said anything about this woman actually having her cat in the photo. The funniest part of the photo, to me, is the cat. It looks like it's saying "This woman is WAY too lonely, if you know what I mean. Get me the hell out of here!"

That is one sad looking "woman".

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Honey I think you've got the wrong forum ;)

Can you send me the link to the one that your in??? That way I can better understand your wants and needs in a relationship!

JNL

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
That way I can better understand your wants and needs in a relationship!

I didn't realise we were starting a relationship! But I guess you can join the queue with the other guys. You ticket # is 1056987 :-D

It's a points system. You can jump places in the queue if I am pleased with you ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
el Guapo said:
I think she might be telling the truth Dan. That looks like an Ozark or Meth 30 if I ever saw it.

Ozark 30? I always said that someone looked "Appalachian" when they seem to be unusually haggard for their years There's also a certain look, though. 'Round here, it's feathered 1970s-style hair, usually dyed with black roots, squinty eyes, and a kind of hardness that's difficult to quantify. I think you've mentioned the "Ozark chin" before.

I feel kinda' bad for her if that's the case.

Oh ... her profile reads ...

[tt]im very outgoing like to try new things , still look and feel young, just want to make the most out of life[/tt]

Emphasis mine.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Geez... that pic of the woman with the cat makes me laugh everytime I see it! :-D
Why? I don't know, certainly looks weird. :p

Cyburbia fake personal ad experiment? hmm, see this is why I'd never ever ever get on any of those internet dating sites. I already learned that the Internet is stupid.

I'd prefer to be a hermit living on a patagonical island here than using sites like that to get a date. (sorry to all those that use it...)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I didn't realise we were starting a relationship! But I guess you can join the queue with the other guys. You ticket # is 1056987 :-D

It's a points system. You can jump places in the queue if I am pleased with you ;)

Are you sure you're not a goddess? This sounds like a quote from the goddess manual. ;-)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I'm in training :)
Well, you're doing well in your training!
You just reminded me of a thread where one of the guys was asking for euphemisms for s*x and I said it was called "Pleasing the Goddess".

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Yes I am.
I can define myself without NASCAR and without basketball also.

Last edited:

JNL

Cyburbian
Jen you're not confusing JNA and JNL by any chance? For he is a he and I am a she :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Jen you're not confusing JNA and JNL by any chance? For he is a he and I am a she :)

I have also made the mistake of thinking JNA is a female - your online names are too similar to somebody who just scans messages! JNA, maybe you'd consider a sex-change would solve the problem? ;)