• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

another house purchasing cyburbian

boiker

Cyburbian
Here's the home that I'll be moving into in about a month.

1926 Classical Revival influenced home. nice neighborhood a walk to a park, school, library, and walgreens. and a couple bars if I want to get my drink on.

about 10 minute drive to work.

Attachments

BKM

Cyburbian
I have a terrible memory-is this in Peoria. I meant. Not Pittsburg! I am easily confused sometimes.

This would be a $1,000,000 house in parts of the Penninsula or San Francisco!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Very nice, boiker! Congratulations on the home!

Now, run over to the BOB and get you a nice 32' ladder to maintain those gutters and other fun home-ownership tasks ;-)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Holy crap, that's nice! I love old brick houses.

PS: Don't tell him I said nuthin' but Duany dissed Peoria when I saw him speak last week. He said something like "what do communities like (pause) Peoria ever have to restore themselves back into?" My suggestion is that you can offer to hire him as a consultant for a large fee and when he shows up have the Chamber of Commerce scare him a little. ;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Great house you got there. I would really like to find something like that in the next year or so....getting tired of renting.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Very nice. Looks like a lotta houses in my neighborhood. Congrats on the house, not sure if this is you first house or not but get ready for less free time.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Boiker,
All I have to say is "damn you and your inexpensive housing market" ;-) :-D

Man that is an amazingly beautiful house. Brick, brick, brick, enough said. I'm officially very, very jealous.

Expect to have some visitors this summer.

Seabishop said:

PS: Don't tell him I said nuthin' but Duany dissed Peoria when I saw him speak last week. He said something like "what do communities like (pause) Peoria ever have to restore themselves back into?" My suggestion is that you can offer to hire him as a consultant for a large fee and when he shows up have the Chamber of Commerce scare him a little. ;)
Ummm, Seabishop, they already hired him to do their downtown plan. I'll let boiker give the details and flames.

BKM

Cyburbian
Yep, Peoria has some pretty cool neighborhoods (I went to college for a couple of years at Bradley University-his house looks like it might be nearby, actually?)

Most importantly, Peoria has TOPOGRAPHY.

Sometimes, as much as I like my condo, I would love to live in a cheaper housing market.

JNL

Cyburbian
Congratulations boiker! You don't see any houses like that over here - most old places are made of wood.

boiker

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:

ooh.. interesting.. the powers that be just had him complete a plan for us. he spent a couple weeks here and gave us his off the shelf plan. "[insert city name]" blah blah blah transects....blah blah.

When he was here, He didn't have many positives to say about Peoria... but he didn't have a lot of negatives either. I personally don't believe he understands the dynamics of rust-belt plight. He's familiar with the sun-belt.

This home will run me just over 100k, just like Fort Wyane's prices, BKM

boiker

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Very nice. Too bad about the Walgreens, though.
It functions as the local corner store. It's their suburban prototype, but this portion of town is a light urban density, about 6 du/acre. It was probably near the end of the streecar lines when it was built in the 20s.

The home is bleeding character. I had to get it. Homes in this area generally sell in the 115-140k range. So we got it for a good price. I think the only drawback that I could find is the very limited back yard space. My lot is square about 75x80; An unusal size and proportion for an urban lot.

The other home I was considering:
It is in a historic district, was last used as a 4-unit apartment. built in the 1890s. The neighborhood has an active restoration/reclaimation neighborhood group and is on the upswing. This money pit would have been mine for only $32,000. It would need about 60,000 in renovations to make it glow again. The home on the left is the one I REALLY want.

Attachments

Seabishop

Cyburbian
boiker said:
ooh.. interesting.. the powers that be just had him complete a plan for us. he spent a couple weeks here and gave us his off the shelf plan. "[insert city name]" blah blah blah transects....blah blah.

When he was here, He didn't have many positives to say about Peoria... but he didn't have a lot of negatives either. I personally don't believe he understands the dynamics of rust-belt plight. He's familiar with the sun-belt.
I was pretty impressed with his suggestions for downtown Providence. Keep in mind I don't work for the city. Providence is the type of place that needs the outside expert to come in and legitimize ideas. He had good and bad to say and about the city and the major players. During his time here he seemed to do a lot, meeting with key landowners. His Peoria comment would have made more sense if it were about Orlando or someplace designed around the automobile.

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_20040312_design12.1609e8.html

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
What a great house! And in a very nice price range. You can't even get something in the ghetto here for anywhere near those prices!! Lucky you!!

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Most importantly, Peoria has TOPOGRAPHY.
Unlike the remainder of downstate Illinois (at least until you get well south of I-64), alas.

Congrats! Course, you could have bought a house just like that for 85K in Decatur... :-b