• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 another newbie

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Hello all! I thought I'd introduce myself because I've been browsing the forums since June and just registered...

My name is Elisabeth and I graduated from Catholic University in Washington, DC in May with a BA in Media Studies and a Philosophy minor. I'm back home in Albany, New York (glad to see some ALB representation already) and in the process of applying to grad school for next fall. The student lounge has been a lot of help in determing where I want to apply, so many thanks to those who post there.

As far as planning experience goes, I have little to none. But in an effort to offset two years of not horrible, but not great grades (contrary to popular collegiate belief, an almost full academic scholarship with no minimum GPA to maintain is NOT awesome), I interned at the Preservation League of New York State this summer. And, since I want to go into preservation planning, I'm hoping this experience will be useful when trying to be accepted (by the grace of god) to grad school.

Well, that's it from here--It's back to work/trying to stay awake after a weekend on Bourbon Street in New Orleans...

Jeff

Cyburbian
Welcome....

Stick around. Do you shave your legs in the winter? I know an upstate NYer that doesn't.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome! Historic preservation is a great field. Let us know where you are applying and we'll fill you in on what you can find there.

SGB

Cyburbian
Yehaw! You're not from the midwest!

Better yet, from (almost) upstate NY!

Greetings from the Southern Tier!

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Indeed, I do shave my legs in the winter--unshaven legs at the gym is a major faux pas! For schools, I'm applying to Cornell, Columbia, University at Buffalo, Pratt, and maybe one or two more, but those are my top choices. Hopefully one of them will accept me! And as far as the mardi gras beads go, I did collect some, but did not "earn" them in the traditional Bourbon Street sense of the word. And I bought Yankee beads to sport Saturday night...sorry to disappoint.

biscuit

Cyburbian
You seemed like a very nice girl, right up until you mentioned buying Yankees beads to show your support. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask Dan and the Mods to reconsider your Cyburbia membership. I just don't know if we can allow Yankees fans on thses boards. ;)

J.K. Welcome, and good luck with finding a grad school.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome!

Now, your first job in historic preservation will be to facilitate the preservation of this:
1oklahoma_truck_supply-med.jpg

It is a perfectly preserved example of post-WWII, arterial roadway hyper-signage, and there is a blindedly rabid group demanding this be saved, FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!!

;-) ;-) ;-)

Last edited:

tsc

Cyburbian
Welcome fellow NYer.... and neighbor on the Hudson! Good luck on grad school....

Cornell is a great place,,, but I am biased,,, being an Ithaca "townie"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
hello from a member of the Midwesterner's Clube / Clique.

Have you been to Tupper Lake?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Elisabeth said:
Well, that's it from here--It's back to work/trying to stay awake after a weekend on Bourbon Street in New Orleans...
Catholic girls and the French Quarter are a combination not to be messed with.

Welcome, and enjoy!

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
"You cut me deep right there, Shrek! Real deep!" Ouch, no love for the Yanks! Hey, it's not my fault that Grady Little's an idiot and left Pedro in so the Yankees could light him up! And I don't think Brian Cashman, Yanks GM and fellow Catholic alum, had the grounds crew painting the outfield with the World Series emblem before winning the game (ahem, Theo Epstein)!! Haughty Boston fans got what they deserved with this game! It was an awesome series though, and game 7 was one of the best and worst of my life. The Marlins are boring, their fans are lame, and I wish it were the Cubbies. And, no, I haven't been to Tupper Lake, but it's weird that you mention it because my Dad was there two days out of the week for the entire summer on business and, as you may know, it's not one of the most exciting/thriving spots in the ADKS, however, a beautiful natural/woodsy place to visit, I'm sure.

SGB

Cyburbian
Elisabeth said:
And, no, I haven't been to Tupper Lake, but it's weird that you mention it because my Dad was there two days out of the week for the entire summer on business and, as you may know, it's not one of the most exciting/thriving spots in the ADKS, however, a beautiful natural/woodsy place to visit, I'm sure.
One of my favorite posters shows a simple map of the Adirondacks, showing many of the towns and hamlets throughout. The caption reads: "New York City will never amount to much. It's too far away from Tupper Lake."

Last edited:

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I can't believe a Yankee fan just called the Red Sox "haughty!" ^o) You may have to take some ribbing here for a while, some of us are still not at the "acceptance" phase of our mourning yet. ;)

The day after game 7 I rented Anger Management which is among other things a 2 hour tribute to the magical Yankees. :-#

Grady Little was an idiot.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings. Make a wish.

Sounds like good school choices. There are other good choices in the MIDWEST, too.

Ever been to Coxsackie? I spent a month there one night...

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Sounds like good school choices. There are other good choices in the MIDWEST, too.

Ever been to Coxsackie? I spent a month there one night...

I've looked at Ohio State because my brother and nephew live in Columbus, but I kind of want to be near home. NYC is 2 and a half hours, B-Lo is 4 hours, and Ithaca is 2. So although I like it out there and would love being in a Big 10 environment (go bucks!), I'd miss my dog too much--these past fours years going to school in DC were tough enough!

As far as Coxsackie goes, it's maybe 40 miles south of Albany and with all the times I've driven my the exit on the Thruway, nothing has compelled me to stop. I try to steer clear of locations with names similar to viruses.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Oh, I'm in Albany--the heart of Tech Valley...I wonder, based on the article in today's Buffalo News, if the technology investment in the area will help bring people back to the city, or just encourage more sprawl. Personally, I hope it brings people back, but I'm biased since I've lived here my whole life and have an aversion to cookie cutter houses that have vinyl siding chimneys.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Elisabeth said:
As far as Coxsackie goes, it's maybe 40 miles south of Albany and with all the times I've driven my the exit on the Thruway, nothing has compelled me to stop. I try to steer clear of locations with names similar to viruses.
I think it's an Indian - excuse me, Native American - name.

There are some really nice historic buildings in Coxsackie, plus the Bronck Museum - the 17th (?) century home of a Dutch family.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
I think it's an Indian - excuse me, Native American - name.

There are some really nice historic buildings in Coxsackie, plus the Bronck Museum - the 17th (?) century home of a Dutch family.
I was just kidding about Coxsackie!! I'm sure I've been through at some point in time. It's probably a nice place, and very historic (given that so much of the Hudson Valley/Capial District is). I've just never explored. Having said that, I'm off to see Coxsackie AND Tupper Lake....just kidding.

tsc

Cyburbian
Elisabeth said:
Oh, I'm in Albany--the heart of Tech Valley....
Albany is tech valley??? I guess i just really associate it with State Government....

Did you look into the Masters program at SUNY ESF at Syracuse... the Landscape Architecture might work for you... as you can pursue different avenues within the general structure.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Welcome! Went to grad school in historic preservation but would not be preservation planner b/c there are way too many hysterical people out there. Plus, the money is not as good as transportation planning. It is a fun study, but you have to work for a place that actually values h.p., otherwise you are spinning your wheels for nothing.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
thanks, for the heads up. It's interesting to read about everyones experiences and try to relate them to what I want to do. Although, it's been my understanding from the forums that where you go and what you study isn't all that important and that experience is really key. We'll see where I end up...