• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

another occupation

jasmine

okay, here's another question, out of curiosity:

if you were to be in another career or occupation (other than urban planning of course), what would it be and why?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Definitely a high school teacher or college professor. I was studying to be an accountant until my junior year, when I realized that I love georgaphy and economics, which lead to Planning.

My dream job is to be a roadie.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I don't see myself studying anything else than geography.. so I don't know.. at least I know that an architect is something I just couldn't be. :p

Last edited:

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
If the day ever came, a Professional Zombie Hunter;).

Actually I'd like to own a bar or brewery, or the ultimate job, running my own fishing charter.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Either an anthropologist or civilian DoD airphoto interpreter.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
I found my true calling on the weekend. If I had to do it all over again, I'd be a "Plasterer".
If this involves spending lengthy periods of time in dingy, smoke filled barrooms count me in! ;-)

I'm still waiting to see what Michaelskis posts for his alternate vocation of choice....oddsmakers around the office are betting 2:1 on 'cowboy' and 3:2 on 'spaceman'......

Last edited by a moderator:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Maister said:
If this involves spending lengthy periods of time in dingy, smoke filled barrooms count me in! ;-)

No, it involves spending lengthy periods of time slathering plaster/mud/drywall compound (whatever you want to call it) on newly-hung drywall and inhaling the dust while sanding. It's great fun, and I seem to have a knack for it. Runs in the family apparently.

I'm still waiting to see what Michaelskis posts for his alternate vocation of choice....oddsmakers around the office are betting 2:1 on 'cowboy' and 3:2 on 'spaceman'......

LOL - too funny! :D

H

Cyburbian
It would be hard to imagine myself outside of the planning or development field, but if I some how found myself indepently weathy I would be and artist and just travel around the world painting pictures of the interesting places I would find. :)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I'd love to be a college prof, but that is not necessarily outside of the planning realm. When I was a little guy I always wanted to be a weatherman (especially a stormchaser as I am a bit of an adrenaline junky).

jestes

Cyburbian
My choices (in no particular order)

1. Paint color namer
2. Donald Trump (minus the hair)
3. Cartographer
4. Attorney

Guess which one(s) are real.

Occupations that I have the aptitude to perform but feel I missed my calling on:

College Professor - English Literature
Book Editor and/or Publisher
Fashion Industry insider - buyer, stylist, watch & jewelry designer

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:

Nope....

Look at my User Name... I would be a pro ski racer, or a year round full time ski / snowboard instructor. Winter here and summer in Chile!

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Hmm if not an Urban Planner, I would be...

1. Regional Planner
2. Transport Planner
3. Environmental Planner.
4. GIS developer.

On a more serious note:
4.Doctor( too lazy to be a doctor)
5. Landscape Designer
6. Speaker(Which I am now- part time)
7. Teacher (Which I am now-part time)
8. Musician.
9. Egyptologist.
10. Historian.
11. Lawyer.( still want to be)
12. Defence Analyst.
13. SPace Scientist.
14. Physicist.
15. Chemist.
16.Biologist.
17. Geneticist.( I got admission)
18. Architect.( I got admission)
19. Dairy Development Scientist( I got admission)
20. Antarctic Explorer.
21. Astronaut.
22. ...
23. ...

Note : ABove list not at all in order of preference.

FRankly, I never thought about it. :p

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Professional Mountain Biker
or
Park Ranger/Adventure Tour Guide
or
Author who write books on travel, so I could travel the world

Grassroots

Cyburbian
good one trail nazi. like a rogue indiana jones huh? that certainly sounds like more fun than a college professor. or....how about a college professor that becomes a river pirate :p

Queen B

Cyburbian
Darn, started this reply once already.

Psycology is what my degree is in but there are to many crazy people working in that profession.

I don't care what type of work I do I would just like to get a little respect. Work went from good to bad to worse here and it is just sapping my self esteem.

I am looking at appraisal work but it will be my luck, they will hire someone else.

hindered

Veterinarian
Archaeologist
Craftsperson/master of a trade -- the skilled trades fascinate me
Interior Designer -- doesn't everyone think they could do this?
Politician -- don't have the stomach for it, not slimy enough
Forensic Scientist
Teacher

There are others...I think my tendency to be fascinated by just about everything for a period of time contributed to my falling into a rather generalist occupation. In planning, you can be a master of one topic or dabble in as many as you wish, no?

Grassroots

Cyburbian
i was thinking more about this. I think maybe a mix between jeff goldblum's character in jurassic park and that biker in raising arizona? what career would that be?

eng_plnr_hsg

Well, As career, though being a planner,, Iam already working as an Engineer,, still Iam asked for another choice,, i guess I would have become a lawyer...

eng_plnr_hsg

Doitnow!! said:
Hmm if not an Urban Planner, I would be...

1. Regional Planner
2. Transport Planner
3. Environmental Planner.
4. GIS developer.

On a more serious note:
4.Doctor( too lazy to be a doctor)
5. Landscape Designer
6. Speaker(Which I am now- part time)
7. Teacher (Which I am now-part time)
8. Musician.
9. Egyptologist.
10. Historian.
11. Lawyer.( still want to be)
12. Defence Analyst.
13. SPace Scientist.
14. Physicist.
15. Chemist.
16.Biologist.
17. Geneticist.( I got admission)
18. Architect.( I got admission)
19. Dairy Development Scientist( I got admission)
20. Antarctic Explorer.
21. Astronaut.
22. ...
23. ...

Note : ABove list not at all in order of preference.

FRankly, I never thought about it. :p

Namaste
and
Hi!,

How are you doing?, Are you from India too? May i know about u?

viki

Totally OT

eng_plnr_hsg said:
Namaste
and
Hi!,

How are you doing?, Are you from India too? May i know about u?

viki
Is Namaste an Indian word? I have friends who close their letters with it -- a shaman and a massage therapist. I am not sure I know the exact meaning... maybe I did at one time.

Just curious.

jasmine

well, since i'm not an urban planner, i would like to go beyond being an enthusiast and into the field itself. as a designer and commercial planner, i think i would find it more exciting to go beyond the smaller concentration into something much bigger. and i'm totally excited about getting into the field. based on the readings i have done, it's not drastically different from what i do. it just encompasses a much bigger arena, as opposed to smaller concentrated areas i work on like retail and other commercial spaces. i totally see myself as an urban planner in the very near future (after grad school of course!).

eng_plnr_hsg

Michele Zone said:
Is Namaste an Indian word? I have friends who close their letters with it -- a shaman and a massage therapist. I am not sure I know the exact meaning... maybe I did at one time.

Just curious.
Namaste is indeed Indian Word, In Hindi Language it means "good wishes".