• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Another Scotsman for your Collection!

Hello Everyone!

I'm a Scot who finds himself in Oxford for a year (via Philly and Belfast).
This looks like an imense place to think. I've had a go with a thread* - be nice to me I'm new!

All the best!

Wee Jimmy Red Shoes

* "Landscape Architecture and Urban Design?"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome
from the north shore of the Ohio River, east of the Wabash River in the Central Time Zone.

Started out in Landscape Architecture then switched to Geography.

:-\ Watch out I suspect
that there might be some who would say that they have some scotch in their blood ;-)

Last edited:
Welcome :)

P.S. Things may be a bit slow around here this week as quite a few people are at the national APA conference in D.C.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from south central Indiana, along the north shore of the Ohio River, where unlike JNA we illegally practice Eastern Daylight Saving Time. Right now we are about 128 hours from "The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports".

So, tell us little more about yourself. Are you a practicing planner?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!

Welcome from a 1/4 member of the Campbell clan!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan - Chicago!

It's good to have more international people around here! :-D

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Welcome from New York State! I'm only a quarter scottish, but it's better than nothing, right? :-}

biscuit

Cyburbian
The Irish in me drank all of the Scotch. :b:

Welcome from the city of origin of the mighty Ohio River (USA)

Last edited:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I'll be putting more scotch in my blood later tonight! :hickup: :-b

Seriously welcome from sunny central Texas! I'm proud to say that I can trace my roots back to Clan Buchanan.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Welcome Scottsman, and thanks for the Scotch

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome, from a really "dilluted" member of whatever clan Thompson is part of (in central New York State, USA)!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome to the Throbbing Brain. For the sake of updating the Cyburbia Map, where does the dot go?

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome Wee Jimmy!
Enjoy in Cyburbia!
BTW, I posted a long one on that LA vs UD thread. :)

JNL

Cyburbian
'Allo Wee Jimmy, from the other side of the planet - New Zealand :)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Wee, welcome !!!! How about "The Exploited"? Love em'. I've been to your country (yes, Scotland is a country of it's own --- Right Scotsman);), several times.

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Welcome Wee Jimmy ( or is it Wee Jock) from a descendant of a failed Scotsman who was sent to Australia as punishment and is longing to hear another accent to overwhelm these nefarious, upstart yanks who pervade this yet to be dominion of Australia. :-D

Gedunker said:
Greetings from south central Indiana, along the north shore of the Ohio River, where unlike JNA we illegally practice Eastern Daylight Saving Time. Right now we are about 128 hours from "The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports".

So, tell us little more about yourself. Are you a practicing planner?

Well, not sure I qualify - a) I'm not a practicing planner and b) I really don't have a clue to which sporting event your talking about - tiddleywinks?

I am infact a chartered Landscape Architect who's worked for a year in Philadelphia which was great (bit hot for a Scot though!) and since then in Belfast, Northern Ireland mostly on city centre and inner city regeneration projects. As you're from Indiana I should divulge to you that I spent a semester at Purdue in 1997 and know all about midwestern hospitality (+ car orientated design - "where's the sidewalk?")

I'm now doing a years masters in Urban Design and am about to dip my toes into the job market once again (this side of the pond - incase there are any employers out there!) So I suppose the pin on the map goes on Oxford, but don't push it in too far in because it'll be coming out again in September!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Wee Jimmy Red Shoes said:
I really don't have a clue to which sporting event your talking about - tiddleywinks?
Well, that would be the 130th consecutive running of the Kentucky Derby -- the Sport of Kings. We take a two-minute horse race and turn it into a two-week long festival.

As you're from Indiana I should divulge to you that I spent a semester at Purdue in 1997 and know all about midwestern hospitality (+ car orientated design - "where's the sidewalk?")
Glad to see you had the good sense to get away from Purdue as quickly as you did. I earned my masters degree from Ball State in '89.

I'm now doing a years masters in Urban Design and am about to dip my toes into the job market once again (this side of the pond - incase there are any employers out there!)
Best of Luck!

Jam

Hiya Jimmy-Greetings from Geordieland! Glad you could keep us few UK'ers company..