• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Another sight from planning hell

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Why is it illegal? It's a state DMV licensed vehicle, so how can you differentiate it from a plumber's work van with his name and logo on the side?

Does it meet the definition of "portable graphic" or something?

boiker

Cyburbian
the sign mounted to the top of the vehicle is advertising for a product or store that is not located at the same location as the 'sign' and the 'vehicle/sign' would be considered portable.

i guess i have a couple places in the ordinance where i could get'em.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
hmmm. I'm still struggling with that.

Zoning is tied to "real property". (See the examples given in prior thread discussions of underground zoning, etc.)

To whom do you send the notice of violation, and where do you cite the violation as occuring if the vehicle is mobile? I would posit that most municipalities would lose it on a zoning contest, but may have other ways to skin the cat.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A clarification

If its parked, for example, in a commercial parking lot, I can cite it as a portable graphic, but I have to cite the property owner or leasor, and not the owner of the vehicle. My "police power" does not extend to the vehicle, but is limited to the property itself.

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: hmmm. I'm still struggling with that.

bturk said:
Zoning is tied to "real property". (See the examples given in prior thread discussions of underground zoning, etc.)

To whom do you send the notice of violation, and where do you cite the violation as occuring if the vehicle is mobile? I would posit that most municipalities would lose it on a zoning contest, but may have other ways to skin the cat.
If it's on ROW, we wouldn't be able to do anything, however, my friends at the police station may.

If the vehicle is on private property, lets say in a parking lot. We've tickted vehicle owners, the property owners, etc... as permitted by our ordinance and nearly all have been upheld in court.

Here's some clips out of the sign code..

Prohibited signs..
...sign containing flashing or running light or movement or the illusion of movement...portable or wheeled signs...signs placed on parked vehicles or trailers to advertise product or direct people to a property that it is located on or nearby...

the only signs allowed on vehicles are signs that are specifically advertising the business contained within or utilizing the vehicle for that business' purpose.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ok Boiker, now we're on the same page I think. Good to see you got the ticket to the vehicle owner stand up.