• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Another Taking

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Last week our PD took down a cocaine ring operating out of a couple of bars in the downtown. Federal law allows the siezure of property used to distribute drugs, so they took the buildings. Obviously, the case will need to go through the courts. In the end, will this may present an opportunity to clean up a couple of the worst buildings on Main Street.

Does anybody have experience working with similarly-acquired property? Is there a required process for getting rid of it, or can the city simply deed it over to the economic development organization?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
You might check with San Antonio on this one. They've had a lot of experience in the past with acquiring former drug properties.

On a side note, the state of Texas may now own four adult video stores in San Antonio. The owners got tagged for racketeering and failure to pay taxes! The people in the nearby neighborhoods are way excited! I'm not sure if the property will be turned over to the city of San Antonio EDC or what, I'll see what I can find out though.

Rem

Cyburbian
We have a Sister City of Round Rock (Texas). From other staff that have visited the area I understand most of the city officials drive vehicles sequestered this way. I don't know if they have buildings from the same source but if you are clutching at straws it may be worth a phone call.

PS. I understand it is a pretty small burgh so you may be wasting your time.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rem said:
We have a Sister City of Round Rock (Texas). From other staff that have visited the area I understand most of the city officials drive vehicles sequestered this way.
We've picked up some cars this way too. Most are junk and are sold in an auction. We do have a couple good ones, though.