• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

any ideas for good city design

rebung

I am writing a paper in a good city design that prevents the Urban Heat Island Effect... Does anybody have any suggestions on good case studies? or know any good methods in term of planning wise....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think that if we knew of a "GOOD" design that would do everything that we need, we would be millionares, and out of a job.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Here are some good starts, though perhaps more theoretical and comprehensive for your needs:

"A Pattern Language" by Alexander et al

Do a search on the web for the effects of roof gardens

From a social perspective: "The Urban Order" by Short

"Good City Form" by Lynch

rebung said:
I am writing a paper in a good city design that prevents the Urban Heat Island Effect... Does anybody have any suggestions on good case studies? or know any good methods in term of planning wise....

jresta

Cyburbian
turf block parking

porous pavement* where the turf blocks won't work

high albedo building materials

do a search for "Heat Island Group" - they have lots of good stuff

*This stuff is amazing. It's all over the greater Philly area. I saw them take a garden hose, turn it on full blast, point it at the pavement - and voila - ZERO run off. It just disappeared into the pavement and from there back into the ground.

The Irish One

I think that if we knew of a "GOOD" design that would do everything that we need, we would be millionares, and out of a job.
instead you're employed for life earning average wages -you really are a genius! The perfect city is the one that keeps planners working.