• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Anybody from Philly?

I may be relocating there... so I thought I'd see if there are any Philadelphians here!

My boyfriend is a Park Ranger and has been looking at positions at Independence NHP.

I'll probably apply for a season position there... and some permanent positions (more library/history... and entry level planning *if* I find anything... with just an undergrad history degree/planning minor, decent GIS background, but very little planning work experience, I may try to get a full-time non-planning job and look for internships/volunteer stuff to get my foot in the door).

Anyhow, I'd welcome any thoughts about the area and/or the job market there (planning and otherwise - know it has the whole deindustrialized thing going on but I was under the impression it was rebounding?).

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Im not from Philly but my bf grew up and went to law school there so we go up. GREAT city but a huge change from UNC CH

good luck and there are a couple philly folks here

Jeff

Cyburbian
Philly rules...

There aren't a whole lot of entry level jobs in Philly except maybe the Philly Planning Commission, everything else is private sector.

You should have no problem finding a job in the outlying suburbs though, this is the fastest growing region in the country so there are plenty of jobs.

burghopolis

Yes, try the suburbs, they are wonderf...er, ok, maybe not so much. anyhow, there are jobs - see dvrpc.org and planningpa.org and the county planning agency websites in the region. If you like to perpetuate sprawl, it's a-happenin' here in SE PA. Thanks TOLL BROS.!!
Slowly, SLOWLY, lights are going on but the 1950's American dream is alive and well.
Good luck.

Jeff

Cyburbian
burghopolis said:
If you like to perpetuate sprawl, it's a-happenin' here in SE PA. Thanks TOLL BROS.!!

That's funny, last I checked it was the individual townships or their consultants that wrote their ordinances and not the local developers.

Maybe the townships actually want the development? Or maybe they just need to hire better consultants?

Plenty of jobs?

Any idea where I might find them?

I've been looking... but very few municipalities in the area seem to post jobs online...and I haven't found much in the classifieds or other online sources.

[I've also tried looking for private and non-profit jobs...but haven't found much there, either ]

Perhaps you know of something that I (not being from the area) haven't found yet.

Thanks!

Jeff

Cyburbian
You're not going to get a job with a municipality, very few of them have township planners and those that do are usually just consultants.

Send resumes to the various County planning commissions...

Philadelphia, Bucks, Chester, Montgomery, Delaware, also check out the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission which is the Metro Planning Organization for the region (also the best resource for volunteer/intern type work).

Other than these agencies, I hate to tell you but you probably aren't going to find much else. On the positive side though, these agencies usually always have vacancies (even if they are not listed in a help wanted ad) because they have pretty high turnover rates once the planner gets some experience uner their belt. Good Luck!

That's what I'd though...

...until you mentioned there being many jobs there. Guess you meant jobs in general, not planning jobs.

I'll contact those regional organizations and continue working on Plan B: try to find a decent non-planning job and some volunteer/intern opportunities so that I can improve my chances when positions do come open.

Thanks for your help.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Another idea

If you're at UNC CH, why don't you walk on over to New East to the Department of City & Regional Planning and find out about alumni in the Philly area? You might contact some of them for leads..

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
burghopolis said:
anyhow, there are jobs - see dvrpc.org and planningpa.org and the county planning agency websites in the region.
Seems like there's always a job listing for the Montgomery County Planning Department. I don't know whether they're a good place to work or not; I had an interview there when I got out of grad school, which consisted of a two hour writen essay, and a barrage of questions and "how would you handle this?" scenarios from a humorless three person panel. Didn't get the job.

Chester County is always hiring, too, but I recall salaries as being quite low.

I like Philly, despite its decay and dysfunctionality. It doesn't have the pretentiousness of the other NE Corridor metros, yet it has all the diversions and cultural amenities. The cost of living is low, the weather is mild, and it's close to NYC and Washington. Unfortunately, one of my favorite areas, Jenkinstown, is fraying at the edges; it's not far from North Philly.