• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Anyone else changing jobs?

JNL

Cyburbian
Tired of being over-regulated but underutilised, I am looking to leave my position as researcher of built environment issues, and currently applying for a policy advice position for central govt in crime prevention and criminal justice. Hoping to work on developing strategies related to CPTED, youth and public space etc

Is anyone else considering a change of jobs, and if so, why? What is the straw that breaks the camel's back and makes you decide it's time to leave?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I've got big plans in the lineup that could result in me working for me. I'm sick of working for the man.......details as soon as I figure out where I'm getting the funding from.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My notice went in a week and a half ago. Im negotiating my start date at the new gig tomorrow. Why am I moving? Simply put, I've stopped trying to expect reasonable decisions from unreasonable bosses.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
JNL said:
What is the straw that breaks the camel's back and makes you decide it's time to leave?
I am still trying to fiqure this out.
I could be in a rut and not know it.

donk

Cyburbian
I'm looking hard and interviewing like crazy (3 interviews last 5 weeks, about 10-12 this year).

My reason's are similar to Chet's, plus I'm scared about the next city election (spring) and the fools that will be elected (I know at least 4 of the 12 of them are functionally illiterate), it has also been made extremely clear to me that I will never belong in my community, plus lots more personal and work reasons.

Straws that broke the camel's back? More like the entire couch landed on me. Items include: lack of support/protection from direct supervisor ( they use me as a sacrificial lamb frequently), lack of a planning culture in the area I live(or any culture for that matter) plus a million other paper cuts are causing me to bleed out.

Dream locations, southern Ontario, Halifax, southern NH, southern ME, Mass, southern VT, RI, basically new england.

JNL

Cyburbian
My straw...

We do contract research and we're kind of between large contracts at the moment, so I don't have a lot to do, yet I'm still expected to show 100% productivity on my timesheet each week.

In recent weeks I've done manual labour to fill in my time (I work in a laboratory). I've loaded bricks into ovens, helped cut carpet tiles, driven 600km in 2 days to measure journey times on the same 3 streets (super boring), and stuffed envelopes. I have a degree in criminology. Somethings not right here :-( It's not that they're holding me back, my bosses seem to think highly of me, it's just that we're not getting the right sort of work to keep me interested.

Plus recently they've made 6 staff redundant (from 42), and then 3 of my friends left for other jobs.

So I guess there are several things that have been getting me down, and I've decided it's time for a change.

Edit: Actually it was Rem suggesting I apply for a job where he works (which I didn't get) that helped me realise I am ready to leave. So thanks Rem :)

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Why am I moving? Simply put, I've stopped trying to expect reasonable decisions from unreasonable bosses.
About a year ago I was looking intensely. Although I enjoyed my job I had a board that hadn't a clue what was going on. I didn't find the right position or I would have left. In the meantime, though, several business owners rallied to my side and I had some new board members appointed who are much better. Unfortunately, our city council is mostly made up of ignorant and dysfunctional fools. We have gone two years without a budget increase, have made major cuts in city programs, and have cut 8% of staffing, mostly in management and administration. Those few of us who are left are overloaded with work and can no longer say that our departments are proactive and cutting edge. We all take great pride in our work, and this is too disheartening to put up with. I expect that by this time next year, at most, two of the current department managers will still be with the city. I will likely stay through fall of next year because of a project that excites me, but I won't go through another budget like these last two. As Chet says, I don't expect reasonable decisions from unreasonable bosses.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
I've got big plans in the lineup that could result in me working for me. I'm sick of working for the man.......details as soon as I figure out where I'm getting the funding from.
Tuna - Did you relocate to Buffalo recently? If so, we may know each other. I know of a Planner/Lawyer who just relocated to Buffalo (his hometown) to start an apolitical community development organization. Does this sound familiar?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Tuna - Did you relocate to Buffalo recently? If so, we may know each other. I know of a Planner/Lawyer who just relocated to Buffalo (his hometown) to start an apolitical community development organization. Does this sound familiar?
I'm originally from this area and moved back from pittsburgh in 2000. There's a lot of groups, give me a name and I'll tell you if I know what your talking about. I have a feeling though I think I know what group it is.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Working in planning purgatory has made me really question my career in planning. I am trying to think of a way to make money that would supplement my income and allow me time to be home with the kid. I think the straw that has broken my camel's back is the fact that I am in a professional position without any benefits and I have to unlearn everything that I have ever learned about planning. However, I am thrilled that I have a job with some sort of income. (how sad)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Yes, I'm just a student, but my internship already has me considering a job change. The mayor and city administrator have said they want me to come on full time in May after I graduate, but I'm not sure if this is the place for me. The politics are extremely unstable and most of the elected officials are closed-minded micromanagers that don't understnad what a city can and cannot do. It's a new city having serious growing pains. The election in May will probably influence my decision. I haven't had the opportunity to do the nitty-gritty planning work like plat reviews and site plan reviews, something which I need more exposure to. I've gotten good exposure to GIS, done a lot of policy formulation activity, and worked on the city's first comprehensive plan, but I need more hands-on experience. I know the experience I've had is invaluable and sets me apart from a lot of other people my age, but I should at least know how to do basic stuff.

After talking to a lot of people, I'm also seriously considering a move to the private sector. I love the city I work in, partially because I've lived in the area the better part of 8 years. I feel like I could make a bigger impact by going into development myself. I don't want to see some other bastard developer come in and take advantage of our lax codes and ignorant politicians (sorry bastards :) ). That and I think the creative nature of development would be more stimulating to me. I'm dying to go in and do a mixed-use mixed-income community with a commercial town center, but that may be out of my range right now. I also got a kick out of doing this comprehensive plan and wouldn't mind joining a planning consultant firm.

Jeez, the more I think about it the more I think I'm in the wrong state.

Rem

Cyburbian
Suburb Repairman said:
.... I haven't had the opportunity to do the nitty-gritty planning work like plat reviews and site plan reviews, something which I need more exposure to ...... I need more hands-on experience. I know the experience I've had is invaluable and sets me apart from a lot of other people my age, but I should at least know how to do basic stuff.
Warning - Free Advice
This is a really smart attitude to have. A good grounding in development control work is invaluable for planners doing plan-making work. It's so refreshing to see someone starting out that recognises it.

My advice is that you tell your employer about the sort of experience you crave. My knowledge of the US internship system is all guesswork but it would have to be a dumb employer that didn't try to give an intern broad experience and let them work on things they wanted a taste of.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Rem said:
Warning - Free Advice
This is a really smart attitude to have. A good grounding in development control work is invaluable for planners doing plan-making work. It's so refreshing to see someone starting out that recognises it.

My advice is that you tell your employer about the sort of experience you crave. My knowledge of the US internship system is all guesswork but it would have to be a dumb employer that didn't try to give an intern broad experience and let them work on things they wanted a taste of.
Thanks! I've been talking to my employer about allowing me to do plat & site plan reviews in the future. They currently use a contracted engineering firm for the entire plat review. I'm usually stuck driving all the way into San Antonio to the firm to drop off plats (cool because I get milage, bad because we shouldn't have to do that). Their basic reasoning is that the engineers have to review certain things anyway, so why not have them do the whole thing. That may change as an engineering firm is relocating nearby and more convenient than our current engineering firm. We do not have in-house engineers to review engineering stuff because we don't have the necessary workload. I really don't trust engineers to do the entire review process (sorry engineers). Our water availabilty is still in question, which has kept developers at bay so we haven't had any of the monster subdivisions go in...yet. I've been talking to my boss about going over to a nearby city when they do their plat reviews to see how the process works; there's an alumni that said he would be glad to help me out. It's been weird for me here since I don't have another planner above me-I'm the only one. Thank God that the consultants aiding in the comprehensive plan are also my professors and have extensive real-world experience I can pick their brain about (and of course, the throbing brain of Cyburbia :) ) I'll have to learn soon... rumor has it that the owners of a 350 acre tract and 690 acre tract are considering subdividing, which when fully developed could more than double the city's current population. Our subdivision ordinance is more rural in nature and doesn't address many of the things it should based on the projected growth and type of growth headed our way. Our zoning ordinance is inadequate to say the least (and exclusionary). Bulverde is pretty much the bull's eye for San Antonio's northern growth and neither I or the citizens of the community want to see it become another faceless San Antonio suburb (hence my screen name suburb repairman). Everyone has a consensus that they want Bulverde to be a real "place", the problem is deciding what that "place" should be like.

This is why I like Cyburbia so much- all of you are so willing to help someone out trying to learn more and get into the profession.

I think I went way off topic, sorry mods :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
More advice for the Suburban Repairman:

It seems like you have a good focus on where you want your career to go. I'd still think seriously before passing up a job offer from the community where you are interning. Jobs are pretty scarce right now, particularly for some of those people just starting out. That job can give you the experience you need to make it into the private sector, or wherever your next job may be.

As for your employer, they are really making a mistake in having engineers doing plan review. An engineer is good at looking at technicalities, but usually misses the "art" of planning. Here, our own staff reviews plans, then ships the more complex ones out to both a contract planner and an engineer. Everybody focuses on their specialty. Very little falls through the cracks. You might propose to your employer that you could do an initial review before the plans are shipped out to the engineer.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Is anyone else considering a change of jobs, and if so, why?
I've been trying to for a while but I want to stay in the area and there isn't much to go around. I was pretty jealous at a co-workers farewell party last week. :-$

donk

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Anyone else changing jobs?

Seabishop said:
I've been trying to for a while but I want to stay in the area and there isn't much to go around.
so it is you and your coworkers that are preventing me from moving. ;)

Your coworker's position going to be filled?

jmf

Cyburbian
I am in a contract position right now so am always on the look-out for something permanent. Had an interview last week - and while I think it went alright - I have this gut feeling I am not going to get the job but hopefully I am wrong.

If I am right I have another iron in the fire which I may hear about fairly soon.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Anyone else changing jobs?

donk said:
Your coworker's position going to be filled?
Yes, but its less "planning" and more construction management and zoning enforcement. I'll get you the details later today.