Anyone on here a bike-ped coordinator?

Are you an engineer, policy/planner/advocate, or an architect by background? What is your role within the City/MPO/State DOT? You can also answer on behalf of whoever is your bike-ped coordinator :) Just looking for some insight on this career path. Thanks!

dvdneal

Cyburbian
Sorry, I work for a rural county so we generally take the opinion that bikes will get out of the way or be run over by a combine.

My last city sent a planner to the MPO for bike stuff. He happened to be a landscape arch background, but it was kind of a random selection thing.

Thanks, JNA. I've seen the first two, but not the third. I was more looking for what types of backgrounds bike-ped coordinators come from and what their role is. For example, I work for a mid-sized municipality (pop ~300,000) and our bike-ped coordinator comes from a technical architecture background. Many of the other bike-ped coordinators I see on NACTO threads are PE's and do more bike-ped design/engineering. So I was just curious. I'll ask APBP!

Veloise

Cyburbian
Vehicular cycling education

You might also look into the bicycle driving classes available, as these present a well-rounded background for anyone wishing to use a bike for transportation.

Cycling Savvy

Smart Cycling (formerly Bike Ed, formerly Effective Cycling)

I wish. It's my hope that one day I can do bike/ped land use planning, but that's a highly contested career track.

Highly contested? If by that you mean, lots of public meetings where people might yell at you, then yes, probably haha.

I'm sure in California it is pretty competitive, but in smaller cities (Pittsburgh, Nashville, etc.) it's actually pretty hard to find someone who has the skillset and passion for that kind of thing. Either the people who have the technical skillset in engineering or architecture don't bike regularly or weren't trained in sustainable design, or the people who are passionate don't have the technical skillsets and are more on the education and advocacy side. But yeah, each city or agency probably only has one so that does limit the pool of openings.