• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

anything for the baseball

Grassroots

Cyburbian
What ya'll think about the fat guy steamrolling that poor kid for the baseball at the Rangers game? Saw on the news this morning he was apologizing. Really sad. Plus, I hear he is a youth minister. :-\

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
It says a great deal about him does it not? Glad the kid got some attention from the teams. I hope this guy suffers much public humiliation.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I hope this guy gets twice the humiliation that Steve Bartman got. Bartman just reacted to the situation and grabbed a foul ball - in that second he didn't think about it and other people were reaching too. This guy plowed a little kid out of the way and then gloated about it afterward. Its just a regular game in June for God's sake.

Seabishop said:
I hope this guy gets twice the humiliation that Steve Bartman got. Bartman just reacted to the situation and grabbed a foul ball - in that second he didn't think about it and other people were reaching too. This guy plowed a little kid out of the way and then gloated about it afterward. Its just a regular game in June for God's sake.
My sentiments exactly. Besides, that foul ball he caught won't be worth crap by the end of the season, if it's worth anything right now. He's a complete moron!

SGB

Cyburbian
I'm pretty convinced that the lack of positive role models in both the players and the fans is responsible for my complete lack of interest in professional sports.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Saw the video a couple of times now, and
all the talking heads enjoy blasting/railing on the guy with much glee.
He deserved all he gets.
The same talking heads also like the out pouring attention and gifts the boy has gotten with equal glee.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
This is why I don't take the little Rumpster and Rumpette to the games here.

Just kidding;)

Jim Rome ripped him up today.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I believe I've mentioned this before, but my son and I were trampled in our seats at a Braves spring training game by fans literally walking on and over us (we were in the second row) to get player autographs. It was scary; and disgusting, since most of them were grown men.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
It was scary; and disgusting, since most of them were grown men.....
...........still living in their mothers' basements...............;)

I remember you saying something about that. What an embarressment to fans everywhere.

Next time bring a cattle prod to keep them at bay.

Zoning Goddess said:
I believe I've mentioned this before, but my son and I were trampled in our seats at a Braves spring training game by fans literally walking on and over us (we were in the second row) to get player autographs. It was scary; and disgusting, since most of them were grown men.
Most people are pretty pathetic (a la that great quote about "lives of quiet desperation") and seem to hope that they can capture a shred of magic and feel more alive if they "touch" someone who has greatness within them. I wouldn't call those creatures "grown men". A man is not defined by his age being over 13 or so. At least, not in my book.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Yah, next time I'll thump them in the nuts and let them know who's really in charge. Hey, we had our mini souvenir bat, what a weapon.

Rem

Cyburbian
You will be pleased to know that the embarrassment spread to Australia with the video being shown at the end of a couple of TV news bulletins that I saw.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
He actually said he'd give the ball to the kid, the next day. Still a jerk. I'd refuse. The team gave the kid a bunch of stuff, including a ball signed by Nolan Ryan.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Rem said:
You will be pleased to know that the embarrassment spread to Australia with the video being shown at the end of a couple of TV news bulletins that I saw.
Does anyone have a link to the video? I can't seem to find it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Budgie said:
Does anyone have a link to the video? I can't seem to find it.
Right here.

The asshat's name is Matt Starr. He's a 28 yer old landscaper and former Baptist youth minister from Sachse, Texas.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
[RANT] Ok… here we go. Just read this with the thought of Rome… I think of it this way. There are two types of people who go to base ball games. Those who are there because they like to see the game, and those who are greedy. It does not matter if they are greedy in holding out and possiblity going on strike for most of the season because they are not in the to 10% pay scale for players in their positions, still making way to freakin much if you ask me, or it is a greedy spectator who will stop it nothing to get a “piece” of the American dream. Not only will that ball be worth next to nothing, he will spend $20 to put it into a glass ball case so it can sit on his fire mantle and collect dust, until some day a kid sees it, thinks hey I need a ball to hit around and boom it is gone. And that is only if he takes care of it. I once heard that most the balls that people take home, are lost or tossed into a box to be used for recreational activities with in one month. COME ON PEOPLE, IT IS A FREAKIN BALL. GET A LIFE. SPEND THE $5 and go to your locally owned sports store and buy one. Like some one is going to see the ball and say, “you know, the crushed grain pattern from the twice lacquered bat shows signs that it was hit buy this play her… BULL. It is not signed who cares… though it back or give it to a kid that will enjoy it. It makes me mad that people will spend all this money to got a game, treat others with such disrespect that fights happen, to see a bunch of over paid, under talent, self absorbed, ego inflated punks that seem to have little to no self control or morals and family values. (I will apologize to any paid baseball player who has never cheated on there wives, snubed a kid, and has givin a significant a portion of there income to better their community, you are a better person than most other pro-baseball players) [/RANT]

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Dan said:

The asshat's name is Matt Starr. He's a 28 yer old landscaper and former Baptist youth minister from Sachse, Texas.
Hmmm...I don't see a #3 or #8 on anywhere on his clothing. ^o)