• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

APA Conference Social

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I thought there was a thread on this a while back, but I couldn't find it. I know not a lot of Cyburbians are going this year, but are there any plans for those few of us who are attending?

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I know that PG and I have discussed it, but I am not sure if anything has been finalized.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
PG and I are talking about it, and will come up with some plans that we will post in this thread. :)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
PG and I are going to go to lunch on Monday to iron some detail things out.

Who all is coming, aside from NH/MD Planners?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
How does Tuesday look for folks?Tues evening that is. TN how does that work for you?

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Sounds great! As long as it is after 6:30 that night b/c I have a sitter coming to watch Mac. Otherwise, I would have to bring him along.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Trail Nazi said:
Sounds great! As long as it is after 6:30 that night b/c I have a sitter coming to watch Mac. Otherwise, I would have to bring him along.
I would hope to have something a bit later than 6:30....I think I'm going to try and hit my BSU alumni reception in the early evening on Tuesday, then head to whatever Cyburbia activities are planned.....I leave it in the capable hands of TN and PG who are local to the area! :)

PlannerGirl,

How about the Capitol City Brewing Company on Mass. Ave. across the street from Union Station. It's nice and it's away from the hustle and bustle of the Dupont/Connecticut Ave. corridor; which I'm sure will be bursting at the seams with planner types. It's just a thought.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ive never been there but its an option. Not as safe as the Dupont area but its not "unsafe"

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Lol BTW why did I get stuck planning this? There are so many planners in this area. I dont mind just kinda think its funny.

yaff

Cyburbian
PG,

I'm glad that you are a talented organizer. BTW, I will also be at the conference. Let me know if you need any help or suggestions planning something. BTW, I think DuPont is probably a good choice because it is near the conference hotel and easy to get to. I will try to come up with a few suggestions for venue in the next day or so if I can and will post here.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I really think that we should go to a drag club since DC for something a little different.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol TN your nuts! Yaff any thoughts on where to go would be mucho helpful.

Afterwards cafe? Cosi? Hell just sit by the fountain and laugh our asses off at the strange folks that wander by.

NHPlanner

Staff member
PlannerGirl said:

Afterwards cafe? Cosi? Hell just sit by the fountain and laugh our asses off at the strange folks that wander by.
Anything works for me....as long as by the end of the trip I take the lead from Chet in the category of "most cyburbanites met in person." ;-)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:

I was just trying to see if you guys were paying attention!!! Tee hee. ;)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Trail and I had lunch today and talked about having folks all meet up at the Q street exit of the Dupont Metro possibly Sunday night? I plan to do the Womens march earlier in the day (if anyone wants to go?) So I will be in the City.

yaff

Cyburbian
There is a place in the DuPont neighborhood but I am having trouble coming up with the name. It is called "The /something/ turtle" and it is on 18th street. There is also a pool place right off the DuPont Metro, across the street from Cosi's that is pretty comfortable and they have a good food and beer selection. Anyway, I think meeting at the Q street exit to the DuPont metro sounds like a good idea. Should we say around 7:30 or so?

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
If we can meet earlier than 7:30 that would be great. I have to bring the kiddo along unless the sitter is willing to come.

NHPlanner

Staff member
The slight problem with Sunday night is the Opening Reception....which if the past 2 are any indication, are don't miss events (plenty of food and beverage, free!).....

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Damn ok so Sunday is out, Monday I have the NC APA gathering, Tuesday I have a non conf related meeting to attend but I will see what I can do to get out of it.

Tuesday night 7:00? Does that work for you TrailNazi?

Everyone else. Still at the Q street exit of the Dupont Metro. At least on a Tues we have a better chance of eating/drinking some where.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Tuesday it is. I'll see everyone then. Can't wait to meet y'all and get the low down on the Conference.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
OK if folks plan to come please PM me directly today and Ill give you a way to reach me tuesday should something happen like someone get lost etc.

How many folks plan to come so I can have a rough head count?

NHPlanner

Staff member
Tuesday at 7 it is. My alumni reception got changed to Sunday before the opening reception, so I'm all set!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
MD Planner said:
I'll be at the metro exit at 7 on Tuesday. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

So everyone knows who I am I will have a copy of the Planning mag with pics of washington on the front. I have longish redish curly hair. Very curly. Prob have my Ipod with me so look for the white headphones ;-)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
*Evil laugh*

Ok he can come back in one piece, but he might not be mentaly right anymore ;-)

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
*Evil laugh*

Ok he can come back in one piece, but he might not be mentaly right anymore ;-)

He needs to be mentally right. He has a big responsiblity coming up in 6 months. :-D

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
OH he will be fit for that duty, hehe we just might corrupt him down here in the south.

NHPlanner

Staff member
As always...I'll be on my best behavior. ;-)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Lol Im not doing anything-DC just does things to folks, part of the energy of the place I think.

Anyway hope to see some of you Tues 7pm Dupont Q street metro exit

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
You guys and gals all have fun now, ya hear? And remember as you strengthen those bonds of friendship.... "A good friend will be there to bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying, Dooode! That was F**king awesome!'

NHPlanner

Staff member
I'm outta here to pack the suitcase.....see some of you down in DC!

NHPlanner

Staff member
The Laefest in Pictures....

Here they are folks.....your DC Laefest pics (and a couple of me with Trail Nazi and PG from our Saturday in Georgetown)....

3group2.jpg
Above, from left: Trail Nazi, MD Planner, NHPlanner, Plannergirl, yaff.

3group1.jpg
Above clockwise from front: yaff, Plannergirl, NHPlanner, MD Planner, ?? (PG's friend frim NC), and NCPlanner.

3macandtn.jpg
Above: The real star of the Laefest, Mac, with mom (sorry about your head TN!)

3pgandmac2.jpg
Above: Mac with PG

3macyafftn.jpg
Above: Mac with yaff and Trail Nazi

3nhpandmac.jpg
Above: NHPlanner & Mac (Trail Nazi should have a pic of Mac's fascination with my beard and face later.) ;-)

3macsleep.jpg
Above: Mac after the long night. :)

3pgnhptn.jpg
Above: Plannergirl, NHPlanner, and Trail Nazi at lunch in Georgetown.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mac certainly does look like the star of the DC Laefest :-D

And I'm glad to see some good looking :b: in those photos. I'm jealous.

SGB

Cyburbian
Looks like once again a good time was had by all.

I'm assuming that Mac "pooped out" (pardon the language) from fatigue and fun.

Can I hire the DC Laefest Team to take on our 1 month old daughter? |-)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Lol we had a blast! And Mac is the best baby, every time I see him hes so good and quiet. Hey TN what do you feed him?

Lol you can tell I was tired by Wed night-god what horrid pics ;-)

I will try to post some of mine tonight.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'm glad the conference wasn't all yappin' about planning stuff. I'm just waiting for it to come back to Boston in another 20 or so years.

I've got to say Mac is the cutest out of you folks. But are fire engine overalls professional atire for a planner? A man is never too young for the blue shirt/khaki combo that planners prefer. ;-)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Would have been great to been with everyone, but my boss and his boss, and the mayor and several council members went instead.+o( Of course, it was my turn but they wanted to go just because it was DC. MAYBE I'll get to SF next year.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I've got to say Mac is the cutest out of you folks. But are fire engine overalls professional atire for a planner? A man is never too young for the blue shirt/khaki combo that planners prefer. ;-)

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the standard outfit in long pants quite yet. He could have worn his khaki shorts and blue sweater vest but it was too cold that evening.

A fun time was had by all, especially for Mac.

I will have to get the pictures of Mac attacking NHPlanner's beard once we get settled. Right now the boxes of stuff are in transit.