• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

APA Denver 2003

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
OK folks, I'm planning ahead for the 2nd annual Cyburbia Social at the national APA conference. As we roll into the budget season, be sure to request funding for the trip! We'll be sure to pick a very Bohemian watering hole.

I'm thinking about proposing a session - that's a good way to justify why you need to go to the conference.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Maybe we can all propose a session on the value of online planning communities....give examples of how people have been helped by messages on here...

:)

jtfortin said:
Maybe we can all propose a session on the value of online planning communities....give examples of how people have been helped by messages on here...

:)
That's not a bad idea!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm going to suggest my old local, Falling Rock Tap House in LoDo. It's lively yet civilized, not very loud, with a beer selection that is so vast not even Dennis MIller could come up with a brainy quote to describe it. Comfy leather counches and two pool tables in the basement. Highly recommended.

As a backup, I'd suggest My Brother's Bar. Colorado liquor license #1. We could also head up to West Highlands, my old neighborhood (about a mile and a half from downtown), and go to Three Dogs Tavern on West 32nd.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planderella said:
I'm thinking about proposing a session - that's a good way to justify why you need to go to the conference.
Been there done that. It was fun and great professional exposure, but next time I want to enjoy the conference and not fret about whether or not it'll go well!

I moderated a session at the New Orleans conference. 2 of my speakers backed out on me days before and I hadn't heard from the 3rd speaker by the time the conference started. The day of the session, I went to the room to cancel it and the mystery speaker appeared out of nowhere. She handled the entire session on her own and it worked out pretty well.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Bah. My best bud Cathy has an apartment in central Denver now. We'll trash her place.

I still have the keys to my old house, too.

Room-wise, I'll probably be staying at the Hotel Monaco, a funky boutique hotel downtown.

I'm thinking about DRIVING to Denver. It's a three day drive (Orlando --> Chatanooga --> Kansas City --> Denver, about 30 hours total with the Valentine One :) ), and I can incorporate it into a vacation. See some other cities, visit friends scattered about Colorado and New Mexico, and have the dogs along.

What are the skiing opportunities like at that time of year? It's my wish to hit a slope or two while I'm in the area (although I've never set foot in real snow before).

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Guess I'll just have to wait for the next APA/CIP joint conference. Oh wait, I gave up my CIP membership didn't I?

Darn.

Sounds like you'll have an awesome drive there Dan. Take lots of pics.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It is a 14-16 hour drive for me, depending on how much I stop (not much). I wouldn't mind an excursion or two - perhaps Idaho Springs, Georgetown, or a ride down the mountains on the bike path? Or how about a planning trip built around some of the ghost towns?

Planderella, what are you thinking about doing a session on? I could be sucked into a presentation on a small town/rural or economic development topic.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Denver Stuff

If I go, I want to get a picture of myself in front of Iliff Avenue. It's not often I get to a place where you can find my last name on stuff. I know Iliff Avenue is somewhere on the southside of Denver, but I'm not sure how far it is from downtown.

There is even an Iliff, Colorado, but it's a bit of a drive from Denver. Maybe if I have an extra day. It's a really small town (pop. 174), but it would be interesting to say I was there.

Maybe I'll find some distant relatives in Denver.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Not much of a drive

NOW THAT I'M IN ARIZONA!

This place rocks, much better than the last...

Dan, are you sure you want to drive that far? I just got out of a 24 hour drive.. have you ever heard of swamp *$$?

I'll have to make the effort to get up there for this one-

Planderella, what are you thinking about doing a session on? I could be sucked into a presentation on a small town/rural or economic development topic. [/B]

Nothing too groundbreaking.....something goofy like making the transition from student to professional.......besides, proposing a session doesn't necessarily mean it'll be accepted. LOL

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My past experience is to go after the section set-asides. Propose a good topic that relates to one of the APA sections, and most likely they will contact you to guarantee you a slot. Even more so if it relates to the conference theme.