• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

APA Denver Conference get-together

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Another pic from inside the Falling Rock I found....looks like a great selection of brews awaits us!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay... it's been finalized that I am going to Denver; however, I have plans with friends on Saturday night. Can I assume that the get-together is not exclusive and that I can bring my friends/S.O. along if we end up in the vicinity? It sounds like it will be quite the good time. :)

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
Okay... it's been finalized that I am going to Denver; however, I have plans with friends on Saturday night. Can I assume that the get-together is not exclusive and that I can bring my friends/S.O. along if we end up in the vicinity? It sounds like it will be quite the good time. :)

I don't see why not. I think Christine is bringing a friend and her hubby....

Habanero

Cyburbian
I hope we'd be able to bring other people- James and other planning friends and relatives will be with me.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Yep, I'm bringing hubby and a friend (who is a planner too), and possibly my sister and another friend. So, there might be five of us, but at least definately three.

((Of course I wasn't as polite as nerudite, and just assumed that it would be ok....oh well, you know what they say about assuming though....))

Jen

Cyburbian
Wow some of you have family friends and neighbors going to the the mile high city with you? Anyone heading up to mountains for spring break or are the planning friends and family there just for the ApA conference?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I know of six planning people that are going (besides my boss and me, of course)...mostly old co-workers. It looks like I may try to turn this into a mini vacation and have my b.f. go too. My birthday is on the 28th, so we will likely be out and about celebrating.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Chad's coming just because he's never been there (me neither). Sarah and I went to grad school together, so she's a planner. My sister and our other friend might come, just to get away. I think they'd only come for a long weekend. It helps that my work covers hotel costs for myself and includes two queen size beds. Also, plane tickets are really cheap. Chad and I got our for $197 pp, which is round trip, no layover, from Detroit.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's a social event, not a private clube! Of course others are welcome.

Planderella

Cyburbian
I wonder if there's anyone else going to the Smart Growth Conference next weekend in New Orleans besides me and bturk?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planderella said:
I wonder if there's anyone else going to the Smart Growth Conference next weekend in New Orleans besides me and bturk?

We were just kibitzing around the water cooler - When is Fat Tuesday?

Planderella

Cyburbian
bturk said:

We were just kibitzing around the water cooler - When is Fat Tuesday?

It's late this year....March 4th. The parades start rolling around the second weekend in February.

Jeff

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Okay... it's been finalized that I am going to Denver; however, I have plans with friends on Saturday night. Can I assume that the get-together is not exclusive and that I can bring my friends/S.O. along if we end up in the vicinity?

Only if they're hot....

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Jen said:
Wow some of you have family friends and neighbors going to the the mile high city with you? Anyone heading up to mountains for spring break or are the planning friends and family there just for the ApA conference?

If I can make it I don't plan to do the conference - just Cyburbia and have some fun. I may try to get up into the hills, although I expect there would still be too much snow to do much. The last time I was there I tracked down Stumpftown (or alternatively, Stumptown), a ghost town near Leadville.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Another attendee??

There is a chance (nothing confirmed yet) that yet another cyburbanite will be joining us in Denver at the Falling Rock....

Mary Poppins. :)

Yep. My wife and I are going to try to figure out a way for her to at least come out for the first couple of days of the conference. One of the reasons she joined cyburbia....to get to know some of the people she hopes to down a few with in LoDo.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Another attendee??

NHPlanner said:
There is a chance (nothing confirmed yet) that yet another cyburbanite will be joining us in Denver at the Falling Rock....

Yep. My wife and I are going to try to figure out a way for her to at least come out for the first couple of days of the conference. One of the reasons she joined cyburbia....to get to know some of the people she hopes to down a few with in LoDo.

Very cool! I might even be recovered from New Orleans by then...

*goes to dry out*

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah! That would be cool. Have you checked into airfare yet? Round trip, direct flight from Detroit was only $197. My work covers hotel, so that helped a lot in getting Chad to come with me.

NHPlanner

Staff member
SW MI Planner said:
Yeah! That would be cool. Have you checked into airfare yet? Round trip, direct flight from Detroit was only $197. My work covers hotel, so that helped a lot in getting Chad to come with me.

We're just starting to do that research....I just did a quick search on United (which is what my boss and I are flying out on) and the ranges of fares were 420 to 1100 bucks! 8()

I'm pretty sure my boss will be OK with her sharing the room with us for a couple of nights....just need to come up with a notification system... :p

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Notification system? Like a sock on the door handle type of notification? You dirty birds!! Just kidding. Over the weekend Chad and I have a couple friends staying with us. There goes my plans to get knocked up in Denver ;)

Did you call the number the APA listed on their website? They arranged a conference rate if you go through United or Delta. We are going through United and the conference rate was $50 cheaper per person by going with that.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend, as will the 17 other members of our organization. The 3rd annual APM Conference is scheduled in Joliet, IL on the dates of March 31 to April 2, 2003. Planners are welcome and can register on site at the door for a fee of $55. Among the topics to be discussed:

1) How to make issues out of non-issues at a public hearing and ultimately kill a project.

2) How to get the inside scoop from the local planner; become good acquaintances; then destroy him/her publicly.

3) Fighting “Rainbow Manipulation” and capital improvements.

4) Gays and lesbians roles in the Anti-Planner Movement.

5) Conservation Plans - Why would the Planner dig their own grave and develop a plan that would only be used against them? - This question remains mind boggling to APM.

6) Blue Shirts and Pension Scandals - the Milwaukee Model of Government.

7) Sit-in Demonstrations - How this 1960's tactic can be used against today’s Planner.

8) How environmentalist can help the APM - yet lets not get too close to these weirdos. But we can USE them.

9) Kim Bassinger and PETA - She's hot, they're not.

10) How to make your Common Council the laughing stock of the region.

11) The Planner's Nightmare - Trying to do their job for them by submitting a "Citizen Planner's Report" to the Common Council.

12) How to pretend you didn't receive a notice.

13) Making the Intern talk.

14) Playing dumb with Tax Incremental Financing.

15) Negotiating with the Developer; Then reneging at the public hearing.

16) Pretending not to understand that the School District and Municipality are different entities.

17) Pretending you're a citizen at a local public hearing.

If you feel additional topics need to be added to this agenda please let APM know. You are welcome to attend the conference if interested.

Anti-Planner Movement

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
the last national conference I attended was in New Orleans. I can proudly say that I never attended a single event. My time was devoted to exploring the areas golf courses. I'm skipping Denver...

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: Another attendee??

NHPlanner said:

Disappointing news to those interested in meeting my wife....she won't be making it out to Denver....her dance team she's an assistant coach for has a competition the weekend the conference starts, so she can't make it...... :(

boiker

Cyburbian
jealous :(

budget issues throughout the state of Illinois and the various municipalities.

My town isn't sending anyone to anyhitn.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Stupid question, but I asume at least one of us will have a digital camera at the Cyburbia AleFest?

NHPlanner

Staff member
bturk said:
Stupid question, but I asume at least one of us will have a digital camera at the Cyburbia AleFest?

I will have mine (well...the Town's). I can take up to 84 pictures....though to justify taking the Town camera I'll have to take at least a few shots of Denver and the mountains. :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Good idea bturk, then when you get back, you can show all of us whose employer's don't allow us to go how much fun you had.

NHPlanner

Staff member
jtfortin said:
Good idea bturk, then when you get back, you can show all of us whose employer's don't allow us to go how much fun you had.

I'm sure I'll set up a directory in the gallery for all to share.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
nerudite said:
Does this place only have beer? Because I've been dying for a good margarita.

I'm sure they stock a full bar.

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:

I'm sure they stock a full bar.

If not, I'm sure they have some type of cider. I'm not a beer person anymore.. the novelty wore off after college, and now I just don't like it much.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'll make it my personal responsibility to make sure you have a margarita ...no make that plural... on Saturday!

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:
I'll make it my personal responsibility to make sure you have a margarita ...no make that plural... on Saturday!

Oh god... you sure don't know what you're getting yourself into! I'll be really quite drunk after just two... no alcohol tolerance.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
I'm outta here!

8:25 pm Thursday and I'm taking off! My plane doesn't leave for Denver until tomorrow afternoon, but with the two hour drive to the airport, security wait, etc. I'm not coming into the office in the morning.

Voice mail changed: check!
Outlook on autoreply: check! (with rules set so it doesn't broadcast to listserves)
lists of tasks for everybody in the office: check!
somebody to feed my fish: check!
bags packed: tomorrow morning...

See you in Denver.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm driving out; estimated time of departure is 8:00 AM. Ten hour drive ... not too bad. See ya' on Saturday!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
8:18 AM CST - My last post - making breakfast then a 2 mile drive (whew!) the the General Mitchell Intergalactic Spaceport, for the ride to Denver. I'll see some of you tommorrow (frisky in tow) ;)

NHPlanner

Staff member
My last post until Wednesday night (when I return for a Planning Board Meeting)

I'm visiting my mom before I leave tomorrow morning....be in Denver by noon. See you all there!