• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

APA Elections...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Does anyone know anything about the other two candidates (Other than BOB). Looked at some of the information and I am sorry, but they do not impress me.

Does one need to be AICP to run for president? Maybe I will have to toss my hat into the ring next year!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Michaelskis for President!

I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon. Let all those APA patronage jobs go to Cyburbia members!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Anybody get the mailing from

APAWatchDog - http://apawatchdog.org/
your independent watchdog of APA and AICP

This site is not an official site of the American Planning
Association or the American Institute of Certified Planners.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I have questionarre responses from the candidates from the Chapter Presidents Council if anyone is interested. PM me and I can e-mail you the pdf files.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I was debating if I should even vote????

When it comes to municipal or state elections I have not miss one since I turned 18, but the APA....HMMMM..... Is it worth it??

el Guapo

Capitalist
I voted for the deconstructionistas. If they mentioned chapter support as being important they got my vote. I voted before I went to the APA watch site and found myself voting their slate. Spooky!

Sorry Bob Hunter, but you didn't reply to my email after asking us to email you. Thus, my vote went to the Floyd.

Ski - you don't want anything to do with APA politics. You don't own enough black turtlenecks to even hold your free-range martini and look "creative" at every APA social function.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
el Guapo said:
you don't want anything to do with APA politics. You don't own enough black turtlenecks to even hold your free-range martini and look "creative" at every APA social function.
Can you tell us some more, EG? Other than having a beef with the image of APA participantistas, what are some of the more serious issues and complaints you have with APA? I'm sort of shielded from that because my employer takes care of all the costs, etc. We do get all the publications, and they are hardly readable. The new Zoning Practice looks interesting, though. The Audioconferences are interesting and a nice diversion. But other than that, I have no real interaction with APA, other than the stuff I read here on Cyburbia. In a way, they are almost a non-entity, but still, they are visible and do seem to offer some useful products and services. I don't know, maybe I'm so new at the professional planning game that maybe those with a longer institutional memory can enlighten me. And the so-called APA "apologists" can participate in this discussion, too - I'd like to hear what;s right with APA as well. Thanks.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Sorry Bob Hunter, but you didn't reply to my email after asking us to email you. Thus, my vote went to the Floyd.
I did the same. I don't know how Bob expects people to vote for him if he doesn't respond to simple inquiries regarding his position.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My biggest beef with APA is not supporting the Chapters and Divisions.....there can be an awful lot of good work done at the chapter level, but right now the support is not there. Like El Guapo, all my votes go to those committed to directing resources to the chapters.

My only interaction with national is paying my APA and AICP dues (through my employer), and the publications. I am, however, active in the chapter and attend/organize/help out where ever I can at that level, because I can see the return on my investment of time (continuing education, networking, programs and workshops, etc.).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Ski - you don't want anything to do with APA politics. You don't own enough black turtlenecks to even hold your free-range martini and look "creative" at every APA social function.
I was being sarcastic… unless things change, it would be like shooting my self in the foot. Would still be there, just a lot of pain. Someday, I will run for the Michigan Chapter. (After several years of experience)

Does anyone know how I can get involved now? Who would I contact? I have never been to a chapter conference.