• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

APA National Conference 2020 - Houston! (cancelled)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I also expect to see a complete change in how conferences/conventions are done, both APA and all organizations. This has shaken the core of the hospitality & convention industry, and I don't think all of the companies make it out the other side. I really wonder if we're culturally going to return to normal after this when it comes to mass gatherings in general.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
A lot of folks, including various state chapters, are stepping up with offers of assistance and ideas for how to make the best of everything for the membership and organization.
RE: CMs - The APA is a private entity and the CMs are simply a mechanism for assuring some outwardly objective measurement of 'professionalism'.

But given the nature of the crisis, can't 'we' just give 'ourselves' a pass this cycle? It's fundamentally different than me disregarding my City's laws.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still say they should do all the sessions they created into web-based events and if you registered for the conference, then you get to "go" to that web-session

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the APA Hazards Division email

As for the annual meeting, we had already chosen last Friday to move this to an online forum sometime in May. We have not yet had time to determine how best this can occur, but we will provide further information once the logistics have been worked out. One good result will be greater availability of the meeting to the wider membership. If this move is successful, it may become a model for future years.
Bolding is my emphasis.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I had registered for the NOLA conference but couldn't gp. I couldn't cancel in enough time. I was able to watch the presentations later on line. It was a pretty good way to see them. This could be a model going forward.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
If you can watch the sessions later and get the CM credits I see a lot more barely filled conference rooms and a lot more people having fun when they travel to the various host cities. Which would be fine by me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They should do a virtual conference.

There was a conference I think it was in Denmark that did that

the speakers did their presentation streaming from their house/office and you signed on as an attendee
Yeah, but how do you get swag doing that? Priorities, I say.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yeah, but how do you get swag doing that? Priorities, I say.

I need another half-dozen or more stress squeeze figures.

When The Girl was young, I'd get as many of those I could at a conference and she'd play with them. Several cars and trucks shapes, a brick, cows, pigs, traffic signals, cones, globe, et cetera.

DVD

Cyburbian
My best swag is still "New Duck". My daughter was young and had a small collection of rubber duckies and she was really inventive with names. So thank you Matrix Design Group for that memory.