• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Organizations APA National Conference 2020 - Houston! (cancelled)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I also expect to see a complete change in how conferences/conventions are done, both APA and all organizations. This has shaken the core of the hospitality & convention industry, and I don't think all of the companies make it out the other side. I really wonder if we're culturally going to return to normal after this when it comes to mass gatherings in general.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
A lot of folks, including various state chapters, are stepping up with offers of assistance and ideas for how to make the best of everything for the membership and organization.
RE: CMs - The APA is a private entity and the CMs are simply a mechanism for assuring some outwardly objective measurement of 'professionalism'.

But given the nature of the crisis, can't 'we' just give 'ourselves' a pass this cycle? It's fundamentally different than me disregarding my City's laws.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the APA Hazards Division email

As for the annual meeting, we had already chosen last Friday to move this to an online forum sometime in May. We have not yet had time to determine how best this can occur, but we will provide further information once the logistics have been worked out. One good result will be greater availability of the meeting to the wider membership. If this move is successful, it may become a model for future years.
Bolding is my emphasis.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I had registered for the NOLA conference but couldn't gp. I couldn't cancel in enough time. I was able to watch the presentations later on line. It was a pretty good way to see them. This could be a model going forward.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
If you can watch the sessions later and get the CM credits I see a lot more barely filled conference rooms and a lot more people having fun when they travel to the various host cities. Which would be fine by me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They should do a virtual conference.

There was a conference I think it was in Denmark that did that

the speakers did their presentation streaming from their house/office and you signed on as an attendee
Yeah, but how do you get swag doing that? Priorities, I say.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yeah, but how do you get swag doing that? Priorities, I say.

I need another half-dozen or more stress squeeze figures.

When The Girl was young, I'd get as many of those I could at a conference and she'd play with them. Several cars and trucks shapes, a brick, cows, pigs, traffic signals, cones, globe, et cetera.

DVD

Cyburbian
My best swag is still "New Duck". My daughter was young and had a small collection of rubber duckies and she was really inventive with names. So thank you Matrix Design Group for that memory.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yeah, she's probably pushing 40 now. Maybe married with two kids and head of the PTA in her community. Drives a minivan, takes the kids to soccer on Saturday.

Sunrise...sunset...

She's kept that red dress in the back of her closet all those years too...you know, fond memories.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I registered too - the topics do look more timely and better than what was planned for Houston actually

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I'm trying to get all set up for the keynote this morning, and I'm apparently not very smart at navigating the website. I tried to "build my schedule" and I got a "Bad Gateway" message. Are there just technical issues with the website, or is there another way to access the webinar info? I promise I'm registered!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
^^ I'm getting the bad gateway as well, and I was not even trying to get into the keynote - I was on their main page.

I will try to find something that works and report back.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
^^ I'm getting the bad gateway as well, and I was not even trying to get into the keynote - I was on their main page.

I will try to find something that works and report back.
It's just glitchy. A lot of activity probably. I kept trying, and eventually it loaded. I was just trying to make sure I knew how to access everything when it started, and ran into some errors. It did let me start building my schedule, though, and I was able to launch the Zoom app from there, so fingers crossed it works. And if not, I'll just watch them later.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I set my schedule up, so we'll go from there. I had to make sure I could do the Legal credits (already have ethics) and also not do anything that conflicts with my big conference call tomorrow.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
where on the site do you get in ?
If you click on the main NPC banner on the planning.org website (make sure you're logged in), it should take you to the main conference page. I clicked on the "My Schedule" tab from there and added the sessions to my schedule, and then I clicked on the "My Schedule" tab again and it showed all those sessions with a Zoom button that you can click on to join those sessions.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
And if you leave and try to come back, it's really bad. Maybe they don't have enough bandwidth for everyone.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Yeah I missed the keynote but I am in the affordable one, phew!
It was one of those "this is everything we need to think about" discussions without a lot of actual suggestions. In my assessment. I'm going to save the housing ones for later, but I'll be back after lunch. Moral of the story - start working on accessing the sessions ridiculously early.

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
I tried to register today, and it's all sold out. Sold out must = they've capped out their Zoom package. Too bad, I needed the credits, too.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I tried to register today, and it's all sold out. Sold out must = they've capped out their Zoom package. Too bad, I needed the credits, too.
You'll probably be able to watch it all after the fact since they're recording all the sessions. You'll miss out on the networking opportunities, but no CMs for those anyway!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I am not trying to do any networking stuff anyway - seems chaotic - did 3 sessions today and am back to work - I would like to do the parking one tonight but I'll just be getting home form the office so that's not realistic

it would be fun to storm a networking session for Cyburbia - anyone want to do that maybe tomorrow afternoon?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Since I still have work to do, I'll end up catching the sessions later. I'll still try sit in as many as I can though. So is the life of a PD.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Yeah I am not trying to do any networking stuff anyway - seems chaotic - did 3 sessions today and am back to work - I would like to do the parking one tonight but I'll just be getting home form the office so that's not realistic

it would be fun to storm a networking session for Cyburbia - anyone want to do that maybe tomorrow afternoon?
I took a peek at the online cocktail party. I found it creepy and a little pathetic. The sessions have been pretty good though.