• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

APA National Conference 2020 - Houston!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
So, who all is coming to :texas:Houston:texas: for National this year? Even though it's only 4 hours away, budgets are tight and I am not requesting to go. Boss is going, and she will bring back some info and ideas.

I'm going to stick with State conferences. Granted, this year it's on the far West of the state, but still.

What say you?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Not likely, since I would have to pay out of my own pocket, which I estimate to be at $2,500.
Registration $760
Airfare $500
Hotel - 5 nights $1000+
Food - $

I don't need the credits because I have the 16 carry over, & this year is the OKI fall conference.

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
Sadly no. The current gig gives me $1,000 a year for professional education which includes my dues. So all I can afford is the state conference.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I have only been to the airport in Houston. Curious if it looks as messed up on the ground as it does from the air.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I have only been to the airport in Houston. Curious if it looks as messed up on the ground as it does from the air.
I've had plenty of layovers in Houston Bush. It's not one of my favorite airports. I like having a longer layover there because of the layout and the lousy signage/directions in the airport. It can also be difficult navigating it. The airport really seems to be a cobbled together with a mix of new/renovated parts and older parts. Personally, I like Huston Hobby better.

Last edited:

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I've actually never been to Texas and was considering going in the last gig, which was GREAT about conferences and training. Now, with the new gig, I'm not sure what my training budget is and I may look for something more focused than the APA.

I did have a good run at some great conferences and locations there for a while...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to be at a HUD training the week before in DC. If I were to go it'd be on my own dime. I think the county's planning department will be there. Looked at the Housing & Community Development track and it's quite good.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In 1997, my 'burg won a John Gunther Blue Ribbon award from HUD for our neighborhood planning program. As the principal planner, I got to go to accept the award and make a presentation at the HUD conference.

It was in some horrid airport hotel. In late July. In Houston, TX.

Thank you, but no, I'm not ever going back willfully.

Reactions: Dan

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 1997, my 'burg won a John Gunther Blue Ribbon award from HUD for our neighborhood planning program. As the principal planner, I got to go to accept the award and make a presentation at the HUD conference.

It was in some horrid airport hotel. In late July. In Houston, TX.

Thank you, but no, I'm not ever going back willfully.
This one is at their training provider's office in DC near Dupont Circle so it shouldn't be too bad. Generally they are pretty sucky affairs though.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Alright kids... you know you need to find me there! Get with me for the invites to the Texas reception and CPC reception, plus part of the Texas group may be hosting a rogue hospitality suite... which if past is indication it may be as the official host.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I went the last two years but honestly, when I see Houston, I don't feel any excitement. Maybe I am completely wrong but that is just how I feel. Next few years, yes.

Tide

Cyburbian
Wish I could, I was planning on it over a year and a half ago but we'll have new twins by the end of April and I can't leave my wife that soon. TN/GA are having a joint state conference in Chattanooga in the fall, I'll be at that one.

Planit

Cyburbian
Wish I could, I was planning on it over a year and a half ago but we'll have new twins by the end of April and I can't leave my wife that soon. TN/GA are having a joint state conference in Chattanooga in the fall, I'll be at that one.
WAIT! WHAT?!!?!?

You disappear for awhile and then return with news like this on the conference thread. Dude - CONGRATS!!!