• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

APA Presidential Candidates - Respond to the Questions

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I received an e-mail from Robert Hunter this morning, inviting me to ask questions of him. So I did. To take it one step further, I asked him to respond here, and have invited the other two candidates to engage in the debate. I hope they will take up the challenge, and that other Cyburbians will have an opportunity to discuss issues in this forum. Here is my question to the candidates:

I am a member of four national/international organizations related to the planning profession. Among these, I find APA to have the least value. Others provide me with better monthly magazines, more frequent updates on current topics and resources, better research, and useful tools at no additional cost. APA continues to nickle and dime its membership. Many planners do not have employers that pay their membership fees. Many planning organizations are seeing budget cuts due to the fiscal crisis faced by local governments. If I have to evaluate my continued membership in APA, I need to ask a hard question. Other than Planning Magazine, what benefit do I see as a member? It gets still worse.

Even when assessed a fee for a service, that service falls far short of my expectations. To illustrate just one such case, I paid my $65 fee to register to apply for the AICP exam this past December, noting a promised reply within six weeks. Well over six weeks later, having heard nothing, I learned that I could check my status on the website. Some of the required material had not been received. Was anyone ever going to notify me in time to get it in before the deadline? Apparently not. I did get this material in, but once again heard nothing. What, exactly, did my $65 go toward? Essentially, no service was delivered, but my money was taken. I might contrast that to my registration in 2000 for the CEcD exam through the International Economic Development Council. I did not have to pay a fee to qualify to pay the fee to register. Once registered I received a call from a staff member, in addition to written notice offering me confirmation.

Associate an organization's name with the term "Smart Growth." Most people I know would not say APA. They would say ULI. It is ULI that coined the term and has defined the concepts. The Congress for the New Urbanism came up with "new urbanism." Ideas such as transit oriented development and sustainability are others not arising from APA, but are the fresh, new trends in planning. Where is APA in giving rise to new ideas and setting the agenda for planning? At best, it is a tag-along organization. As an organization, we are not a leader in new trends.

APA apparently thinks it is more important to create a web site for planners in China that it is to deliver quality services at an affordable price. It apparently gives priority to projects like this, of minimal benefit to our members, over evolving and promoting new planning concepts. APA needs to look hard at its membership and its mission, and make fundemental changes to continue to have any meaningful role in professional planning practice.

My question is straightforward. What do you, if elected APA President, intend to do to improve member services, reduce costs, and have APA take a leadership role in promoting new trends in planning?

Let me add two more thoughts:

1. I am not the type of person to raise concerns like these without being willing to help find the solutions. If there is a serious effort to reform APA, I will commit my time and resources to it.

2. I will post this question at Cyburbia.org, and invite the other candidates to respond in that forum.

Floyd Lapp (Candidate for APA President Elect)

Michael :

Thank you for your interest in wanting to engage in an online debate. I am
all for this type of interaction which is why I provided my e-mail and
website information in my statement. In my position I talked about raising
membership with diversity, an entrepreneurial approach to budgeting,
allocating more resources to the local level, entering the information age
in a much bigger way, checking the pulse of the membership more regularly
and , most important, supporting the goals and objectives of the Planners'
Support Network . If only a few of these were implemented ,we would be able
to improve services, reduce costs and reform APA. Furthermore, I went on to
express my dismay with EverReady candidates who have made a career about
running and running and running for office every four years. . For more on
this and other important issues that separate the candidates, I encourage
you to visit http://apawatchdog.org/. I welcome a continued dialogue.

Cardinal said:
I received an e-mail from Robert Hunter this morning, inviting me to ask questions of him. So I did. To take it one step further, I asked him to respond here, and have invited the other two candidates to engage in the debate. I hope they will take up the challenge, and that other Cyburbians will have an opportunity to discuss issues in this forum. Here is my question to the candidates:

I am a member of four national/international organizations related to the planning profession. Among these, I find APA to have the least value. Others provide me with better monthly magazines, more frequent updates on current topics and resources, better research, and useful tools at no additional cost. APA continues to nickle and dime its membership. Many planners do not have employers that pay their membership fees. Many planning organizations are seeing budget cuts due to the fiscal crisis faced by local governments. If I have to evaluate my continued membership in APA, I need to ask a hard question. Other than Planning Magazine, what benefit do I see as a member? It gets still worse.

Even when assessed a fee for a service, that service falls far short of my expectations. To illustrate just one such case, I paid my $65 fee to register to apply for the AICP exam this past December, noting a promised reply within six weeks. Well over six weeks later, having heard nothing, I learned that I could check my status on the website. Some of the required material had not been received. Was anyone ever going to notify me in time to get it in before the deadline? Apparently not. I did get this material in, but once again heard nothing. What, exactly, did my $65 go toward? Essentially, no service was delivered, but my money was taken. I might contrast that to my registration in 2000 for the CEcD exam through the International Economic Development Council. I did not have to pay a fee to qualify to pay the fee to register. Once registered I received a call from a staff member, in addition to written notice offering me confirmation.

Associate an organization's name with the term "Smart Growth." Most people I know would not say APA. They would say ULI. It is ULI that coined the term and has defined the concepts. The Congress for the New Urbanism came up with "new urbanism." Ideas such as transit oriented development and sustainability are others not arising from APA, but are the fresh, new trends in planning. Where is APA in giving rise to new ideas and setting the agenda for planning? At best, it is a tag-along organization. As an organization, we are not a leader in new trends.

APA apparently thinks it is more important to create a web site for planners in China that it is to deliver quality services at an affordable price. It apparently gives priority to projects like this, of minimal benefit to our members, over evolving and promoting new planning concepts. APA needs to look hard at its membership and its mission, and make fundemental changes to continue to have any meaningful role in professional planning practice.

My question is straightforward. What do you, if elected APA President, intend to do to improve member services, reduce costs, and have APA take a leadership role in promoting new trends in planning?

Let me add two more thoughts:

1. I am not the type of person to raise concerns like these without being willing to help find the solutions. If there is a serious effort to reform APA, I will commit my time and resources to it.

2. I will post this question at Cyburbia.org, and invite the other candidates to respond in that forum.
(Dan) Fixed URL of http://apawatchdog.org .

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Floyd Lapp said:
Michael :

Thank you for your interest in wanting to engage in an online debate. I am
all for this type of interaction...
Thank you! It is wonderful to have a candidate willing to discuss the issues and reach out to membership!

ludes98

Cyburbian
I voted for Mr. Lapp and I am glad I did. Thanks for coming to Cyburbia!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
(Dan) I'm making this thread sticky until the end of voting for the 2004 APA national elections.

If we get all three candidates here, and there's enough interest, I'll create a temporary forum for questions and debate.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Let us consider this statement..

Floyd Lapp said:
Thank you for your interest in wanting to engage in an online debate.
...and this one...

Dan said:

If we get all three candidates here, and there's enough interest, I'll create a temporary forum for questions and debate.

Now, I ask, who will moderate the debate? Will the participants just be the candidates, or can Cyburbanites engage in dialogue as well?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]
Wanigas? said:
Now, I ask, who will moderate the debate? Will the participants just be the candidates, or can Cyburbanites engage in dialogue as well?
That's the intent ... Cyburbianites can engage in the dialogue as well. Each topic, though, would be in a new thread. Maybe something like:

1) Original post
2, 3, 4) Candidate responses
5 and up) Open discussion[/ot]

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yes someone responded!

Thank you so much for joining us and answering some of our questions. And yes apawatchdog is now bookmarked on my computers.

Thank you again.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Too late for me. I considered the election a futile exercise, and tossed the ballot in the trash. First time in 27 years I have not participated. APA may not have lost me, but it is getting damn close.
--AICP Charter Member, Continuing Professional Development Program certification for 10 years

I encourage all of the candidates to take some time to read our comments about APA in the various forums and threads. For the most part, we are not satisfied with APA and AICP in all of its aspects. It's going to take more than the stock "vote for me because I'm the best candidate" answers to mobilize me to vote in this (APA) presidential election.

I'd like to know how accessible and responsive the next APA president will be to the members and if he/she will be held accountable for his/her actions. Will this person step down as president if he/she is unsuccessful in implementing changes, policies, etc.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
mike gurnee said:
tossed the ballot in the trash
So did I. I just wasn't interested or motivated enough to exert the energy to mark the ballot, place it in the pre-addressed envelope, lick the glue, and put it in the mail box.

solarstar

Cyburbian
I had already voted for Mr. Lapp based on his comments in the ballot paperwork, and am certainly reassured since he is the only one who bothered to respond here. (I did almost throw the ballot away, too, but decided I needed a break from the project I'm working on!)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

CHAPTER SUPPORT=MY VOTE.

Floyd did get my vote, and I wish him luck!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Honestly, I'm still debating even renewing my membership. It's gotten so expensive, and I'd like to join some of the divisions as well, but that's not even in the picture right now. I'd like to either see the costs come down, or more information provided for the current costs. It would be great to see, for example, Planning follow The Utne Reader 's example and include articles from magazines and newspapers related to planning and design in addition to what's there. I get most of my planning-related info from Cyburbia and Planetizen right now. The national organization should be able to provide the same info these websites do for free. But then, I'm a planner-come-lately, what do I know? :-\

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Planderella said:
This has been posted for about 2 weeks now and only one candidate has responded. What a pity.
It's a pity, but we could look at it another way ... think of how the lack of an answer from two of the three candidates has influenced your opinion about them.

Let's re-contact those that didn't respond, and see if they're willing to say something.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
In all fairness, David Siegel did not post any means of contacting him. I sent a message to APA/AICP Executive Director (ExDir@planning.org) asking that it be forwarded to him. Perhaps he has an out if the APA staff chose to withhold this information. On the other hand, Hunter didn't even send me a private e-mail in response to my question, after inviting people to contact him in his message and unsolicited e-mail. I think I heard another Cyburbian ,ake this same comment.

Once again, thank you Floyd Lapp, for having the concern to respond and the willingness to face questions from members. You earned my vote. I will also repeat my earlier statement. I am willing to be constructive part of finding a solution to APA's problems. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Over a month has passed and only one candidate has responded. Oh well......it speaks volumes about those who aspire to be APA leaders. :-\

Mod note: Thread unstuck

NHPlanner

Staff member
We'll know the results shortly....they'll be announced at the Conference in DC.

NHPlanner

Staff member
APA Election Results:

From the APA website:

Elections 2004

The following results were announced April 26, 2004, at the APA National Planning Conference in Washington, D.C.

The winners will take office on June 7, 2004.

APA President-Elect
David M. Siegel, AICP

AICP President-Elect
Sue Schwartz, FAICP

APA Director, Region II
Carol A. Rhea, AICP

APA Director, Region III
Mike McAnelly, FAICP

APA Director, Region IV
Bruce A. Knight, FAICP

APA Director at-Large
Mitzi C. Barker, AICP

APA Director at-Large Focused
Sherrel Cockrell

AICP Commissioner, Region II
Terrance L. Harrington, AICP

AICP Commissioner, Region III
Michael A. Southard, AICP

AICP Commissioner, Region IV
Michael A. Wozniak, AICP

GIS Guy

Thanks or being "Frank"

Your thoughts are not isolated. The APA InfoTech division is reaching out to other organizations and building a central portal for/or using technology to benefit the Planning profession. We could use your help. Let me know if you would be willing to volunteer? There are several areas in need of recourse/sponsorship. They will be posted from the IT Division of the APA soon.

Please email me. Mgritz(at)lasvegasnevada.gov

Thanks