• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

APA Salary Survey

SGB

Cyburbian
Perhaps the reason the APA website was down the last few days is because they were posting the Salary Survey results.

Now, would an APA member be kind enough to post the full report somewhere that the rest of us poor slobs can read it in its entirety? ;)

Floridays

Cyburbian
uh oh...

The salary survey is for the use of individual APA members only. It is not to be distributed by any member either in print or electronically.

biscuit

Cyburbian
SGB said:
This link requires a member login to see the document. :(
What I saw of the summery was enough to convience me that I need to find a job with the feds in a different state.

SGB

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
uh oh...

The salary survey is for the use of individual APA members only. It is not to be distributed by any member either in print or electronically.

Cute trick. I'm sure at least a couple of hundred non-members completed surveys for this report, yet we aren't allowed to see the results.

[sarcasm]
I just love the APA!
[/sarcasm]

If a copy of the report just happens to appear anonymously on a web or FTP server somewhere, let us know. ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
These surveys don't tell you much without cost of living info. DC is priced so high you need to double your salary to live there.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Slightly serious B-)
I logged in and used the Salary Calculator
My salary according to the profile I entered is $3,000+ less than the average.
Can't really can't complain all thing considered.

SGB - check your inbox.

The calculator came up with a figure which is about $2K more than I make, and I think our muni pays pretty high for our area. interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

ludes98

Cyburbian
Lovely. Was not surprised to see Arizona high on the list as I haven't seen many planning jobs less than 40-45K(metro Phoenix area.) Was happy to know I make more than they think I should. ;-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Downtown said:
SGB - check your inbox.

The calculator came up with a figure which is about $2K more than I make, and I think our muni pays pretty high for our area. interesting.

You're not AICP are you Downtown? Ethics violation? ;-)

According to the calculator....I make $6100 more that the average for those in my circumstances. (Helped by the nice raise and position reclassification I had finalized last week). No complaint about that!

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
time to ask for a pay raise or look for a new job

Based on the Calculator I'm way ($10,000) under paid, and even more assuming I pass the "Exam"

Looks like I need to get my resume together.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WOW... I did the Calculator, and it matched exactly what I make! But that is still well below average.

Hmm from 45 K to 60K for median age... I am thinking dues are going to go up!

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
as i thought...over worked and underpaid...the calculator said i should make about $3k more...maybe it calculated for cyburbia postings? ;-)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Since I couldn't afford to renew, I couldn't do the salary calculator...does that mean I'm underpaid?? My state didn't even make the list in the summary. :-\

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Is there any way to see the report if you're not a member? I tried to login with my non-member profile and I got rejected.

After hearing so much complaining about the APA on these boards I never signed-up. But, I would like to see the salary report. Oh well.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm about $5,000 below average for my age/experience/skills/duties/location, but it's still better than my previous job, where I was paid $15,000 below average ... offered the middle end of the scale, paid the lowest of the low end after I arrived. (couthOlatheKansassuckscough). I feel lucky to have a job at all, considering the economy.

Hey, Louisiana ... the 1980s called. They want their salaries back!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Hey, Louisiana ... the 1980s called. They want their salaries back!

Louisiana has appalling salaries for public sector planning positions....probably the worst in the U.S. That's the main reason that the public sector is a quick stepping stone to more money in the private sector. BTW, some private sector planning salaries in Louisiana can leave one baffled as well. :-\

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hah! According to the good ole APA, I will be making over $30,000 more than their salary calculator shows. Somebody hack the thing and kill it, please.