• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Application fee structure

Glynis Jordan

Does anyone use a percentage of the construction cost to calculate a lump sum fee category? (ie. a $6million project would anticipate a "X"% application and review fee.)

If so, how?

Thanks!

Greg Lee

Here in the England fees are based on the size of development. Thus, the fee increases proportional to the size of proposed development - and supposedly in line with the scale of issues to be considered. Would not application fees basedon capital cost of projects mean that the financial investment potential of applications becomes a material consideration - as opposed to a pragmatic decision based on the merits of the application itself?

However, contraverstially, some planning authorities do have a policy of securing a percentage of the development value (generally 1%) as a developer contribution to public art. Often the developer will implement these public art schemes himself, thereby ensuring that he can also benefit.

BobH

Cyburbian
Here in Minnesota our fees have to be based on the cost of providing the service. I've seen some cities have a basic minimum fee, then a per hour charge for anything above that amount. In my city we calculate the average cost of mailing, notices, space & occupancy charges for use of meeting rooms (yes, that's in our budget), and then charge more for extraordinary size of mailings, a direct cost. Still doesn't cover the total cost, but it's fair.

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
I've seen it done that way for building permits, but not for Planning Commission fees. Typically, Commission fees are based on acerage, which is not as easy to fudge.