• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

April 3, 1974

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
One reason I am glad I do not live in the midwest anymore. I do miss the thunderstorms. Can live w/out the tornado warnings.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Funny you should bring this up. Coincidently, the wife & I watched the movie 'Twister' last night. Both she and I (being native Michiganders) have seen funnels touch down down from afar, but both agreed that the movie would be a lot less fun if we had had closer encounters with these killers. Must be something really strange about the human psyche that it entertains morbid fascinations of this sort.....

boiker

Cyburbian
...then there are people like me who no matter how many times they've witnessed severe weather or tornados always go back for more.

I love twister for its representation of tornados, but despise it for it's depiction of storm chasers. I chase/spot storms for the public's protection, for photography reasons, and to further my understanding of the convection based storm process. It's completly amazing how far we have come with storm forecasting, but even more amazing how much further we have to go.