• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

April Fools Pranks

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
So has anyone really gotten you today with an April Fool's prank?

I would have loved to have turned in my resignation today rather than the other day just to see my boss' face when he realized I wasn't joking. Rather evil of me. :)

I know that ZG is either the victim of a real doozy or has already gotten someone.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I'm usually not fooled by pranks on April Fool's Day because I'm aware of what the day could bring. I usually play pranks on co-workers, family, and friends though. They better watch out! ;-) :-D

Happy April Fool's Day! Now, commence with your pranks! ;-) :-D

Seabishop

Cyburbian
What I want to do is go next store to the city clerks office with a male co-worker and loudly demand that they grant us a marriage license. I'm sure they've been dreading such a showdown with someone. :-D

kms

Cyburbian
I woke my kids today, telling them that they had a snow day. One was wise enough to know better.

I'm still deciding on how to fool my husband. I may send him an email with the zoo's phone number, telling him to call Mr. Lyon. Problem is, he doesn't handle practical jokes well.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Best one today was a couple of interns on the Howard Stern show doing a "new" morning show because Howard had been kicked off the air completely.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Did you see the other article about: "New Jersey's "Garden State Greenway" boldly combines new paradigms in transportation and recreation."? That one was pretty good.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
kms said:
I'm still deciding on how to fool my husband. I may send him an email with the zoo's phone number, telling him to call Mr. Lyon. Problem is, he doesn't handle practical jokes well.
Thanks for the fabulous idea!!! I just had our assistant call the National Zoo and ask for Mr. H. Lyons. The zoo people answered the phone as "facilities" (no reference to the zoo) and our assistant asked for Project Management. She was then transferred there where she asked the dubious question is Mr. Lyons there? They told her that someone was playing an April Fool's joke on her. Tee hee. :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
your so evil i love it
hehe I told Steve I was selling my new Ipod for charity (he gave it to me for the holidays)

I figured hed be pissed but he was all proud of me for taking care of others and said hed buy me a new one for my birthday!

Doh it blew up in my face!

JNL

Cyburbian
No pranks here.. but slightly concerning is that the letters of support I have been collecting from end-users for my research projects are all dated 1 April 2004!! :-c

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I can predict one I'll be getting shortly. It's report card day, and I know when I pick my son up, he'll tell me he got a D or C in something and then I'll feign shock until he tells me he's kidding.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The company I work for now has an internal newsletter and every April 1st the put out a special edition. Unfortunately, the chief prankster has been out of the office and everyone was sorely missing it today.

Dragon

Cyburbian
I had a good one on me yesterday. I was sitting at home, and received a phone call at 10:00 P.M. my time.

Caller: “What are you doing.”
Me: “Playing golf on PS2. What is going on?”
Caller: “Oh, well I’m on my way over, is that cool?”
Me: “Sure, where are you?” (She lives 1.5 hours away)
Caller: “I just turned on to Hwy 49.” (7 minutes away)
Me: “…..you by yourself?” (in response to background noise)
Caller: "Yeah"
Me: "That is a long trip to make this late, but I'll see you when you get here."
Caller: “Got ya!!”

Then I felt dumb B-) .

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I sent a few co-workers an email with a message to call Myra Maines. The numbers I sent them were for a funeral home.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Our Department secretary pulled a good one, yesterday. Our Director can sometimes be a bit prudish and is mortally afraid of even the remotest appearance of sexual harassment and wants nothing to do with any topic vaguely related to s-e-x. Our secretary came in wearing the least appropriate attire she could find in order to provoke him into making some reference to 'that topic'. She wore a boob-shirt (her torso looks like Floriday's last avatar) a skirt that maybe covered 3 inches of thigh and stilletto heels and took several opportunities to lean over his desk to pick things up or turn around after 'inadvertently' dropping something.....
Some of the employees observations of his reactions (told at the Thursday nite employee beer slopchute) were quite humorous.

I got an email from this special events promotion group stating that if I submitted 5 emails, I would receive free tickets to the next upcoming Janet Jackson concert. I didn't consider the email spam because I subscribed to their list in the past. So, I threw caution to the wind and blindly submitted the emails and was then directed to the website where it said April Fools. D'OH!!!!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Bah.. we here don't have april's fools day :( and it's equivalent is dec 28... but nobody ever does anything, sadly...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This one just came into light today…

An elderly gentleman came into our office this morning with a letter, requiring him to get a building permit for a birdhouse. It quoted a fake section of the zoning ordinance, and had all sorts of technical terms. Best part is, it looked like City Letterhead! Turns out it was from his son in California who got the city logo off the web site, and looked at the ordinance to know what section our zoning ordinance is.

ludes98

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Turns out it was from his son in California who got the city logo off the web site, and looked at the ordinance to know what section our zoning ordinance is.
That is classic! It must be common in their family to pull pranks like this. If I tried a prank like that, my dad would kick my a$$.

Planit

Cyburbian
Sunday is April 1st (and Palm Sunday). The little one has to be at church early for the kids to do something for the service. I'm planning to wake up Ms. P on Sunday morning telling her we're late and were supposed to be at the church 20 minutes ago.:-D :-D ;)

I hope I get to church unharmed so I can ask forgiveness.

The One

Cyburbian
My favorite is....

A 1985 Discover Magazine article.....

Hotheaded Naked Ice Borers
In its April 1985 issue Discover Magazine announced that the highly respected wildlife biologist Dr. Aprile Pazzo had discovered a new species in Antarctica: the hotheaded naked ice borer. These fascinating creatures had bony plates on their heads that, fed by numerous blood vessels, could become burning hot, allowing the animals to bore through ice at high speeds. They used this ability to hunt penguins, melting the ice beneath the penguins and causing them to sink downwards into the resulting slush where the hotheads consumed them. After much research, Dr. Pazzo theorized that the hotheads might have been responsible for the mysterious disappearance of noted Antarctic explorer Philippe Poisson in 1837. "To the ice borers, he would have looked like a penguin," the article quoted her as saying. Discover received more mail in response to this article than they had received for any other article in their history.

MountainTOD

Cyburbian
Well last year I got a call about what type of commercial establishments were allowed by right at this address - I was begining to look up the address and asking for details - finaly he addmitted he wanted to open a petting zoo, after a moment he added an Ev v v il petting zoo.

You think I would have recognized the voice of a guy I had just spent a semester of planning studio with.

digger

Cyburbian
I used to work at the Pittsburgh Zoo. Mr. Fox, Mr. Wolf, Ms. Byrd, and Mr. L. LaFonte are also very popular on April 1st.

Thanks for the fabulous idea!!! I just had our assistant call the National Zoo and ask for Mr. H. Lyons. The zoo people answered the phone as "facilities" (no reference to the zoo)
That was probably because the person who answers the main phone line was either fed up with it, or too busy, and started transferring the calls to other departments at random to answer. I always got to answer a few...

Random Traffic Guy

Cyburbian
From Friday:
One of my cow-orkers has about fifteen 24x36" plan sheets laid out on the floor of the office hallway, it's the final product of a corridor study. Everyone has to awkwardly walk around them. He's in his cubicle printing more. I grab a big sheet of waste paper from the trash, sneak out into the hallway near him. Loudly crumple the paper, then complain "What's all this crap on the floor?". I think he sprained a hamstring jumping up to save his work :-D

nerudite

Cyburbian
I woke my stepdaughter up Sunday morning to say this boy she has a crush on was on the phone. She was so dazed, she didn't even realize that the phone didn't ring. She stumbled out of bed and went to the phone... when she picked it up I yelled 'april fools'. Her brother was laughing pretty hard, but she wasn't amused.

We got her brother later... her younger brother has been barely taller than her for the past six months... a fact he has been flaunting endlessly. We went to go re-take their heights on our wall, and we made a fake height for her... of course, just slightly taller than him. When we showed it to him, he was a little deflated... then came the 'april fools'... he laughed and said it was a good one. He's really about an inch taller than her (even though he's 11 and she's 14).

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hope you guys enjoyed the big of fun Dan and the Mod Squad cooked up for you this year. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Hope you guys enjoyed the big of fun Dan and the Mod Squad cooked up for you this year. :)
Hilarious. Ms. biscuit, who is not a member of what she calls, "Your planner nerd site," thought it was funny when I showed her.

Good job Komrads!