• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

GIS ArcGIS Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Anybody here using ArcGIS Online?

We just started playing around with it in our office and it looks like it will be pretty useful, especially for creating quick maps to embed in our website and give access to non-GIS users so that they can turn on and off layers as they see fit and maybe even add their own simple data. The ability to tie in Microsoft Office products and make maps directly from Excel or insert live webmaps in PowerPoint looks particularly interesting.

I still would rather create maps to share in Google Maps but unfortunately our IT department forbids that :r: but maybe this will be a happy medium.

I'd love to see others thoughts on ArcGIS Online.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So do you have any clue how much the online credit charges will be yet from ESRI???
I mean who can tell with the new price scheme they have....:r:

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/credits/estimator

I'd be very interested to hear what size map you have online and how many service credits:6::facepalm: it will cost to keep that thing online for while:money::money::toilet:
We had our ESRI rep in today to give us a walk-through on some of the capabilities (which was helpful since a few of us were sort of lost and our IT department is still sort of figuring it out as well) and that question came up. They don't seem to have firm pricing down yet so they couldn't give us a clear answer. However, our organization has about 75 licenses for ArcGIS along with many of them including Business Analyst, Network Analyst, Spatial Analyst, etc. For people like me, who really only need the basic functionality and maybe Business and/or Network Analyst, we could probably save money by dropping my full license and then switching me over only to ArcGIS Online.

As for using up individual credit$, if you are saving the data that you are using locally on your own hard drive or server, it sounded like you would not be using credits nearly as fast as if you are saving all your data out on ESRI's cloud.

For organizations like my own that are already spending big bucks on GIS each year, switching some users over to Online probably makes good sense. The same as it probably would for a small organization that might have only one or two users who the full compliment of licenses is overkill for. However, I could see how it could become very expensive for a city to do something like switch all of their users over to Online and use that to handle all of their assessing, engineering, and permitting data.

I think it has more use as a supplement than a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.