• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Architect True Believers (LOL)

BKM

Cyburbian
I hope I never, ever get quite THIS bad:

From an article in Dwell magazine on "Eichler" houses (a California mid-century modern house type that is now fashionable):
"Art has to be genuine and true and pure and essential, and that's what Eichlers are, says Mark Marcinik, a Palo Alto architect who with his wife and partner K. C., has renovated around 70 Eichlers. He despises the old-fashioned tastes of the typical Bay Area resident. "How can you justify the most radical thinker when they live in a Victorian with antiques around? Essentially the guy's a fake."

But what if you just like Victorian architecture and antiques?

"Then you're immoral," says Marcinik.

Wow. I like BOTH modern and Victorian. I guess that must mean I am completely hell-bound and EVILLLLLLL. Thank God I don't live anywhere near Palo Alto. :0

Last edited:

Rem

Cyburbian
BKM said:
...... says Mark Marcinik, a Palo Alto architect who with his wife and partner K. C., has ...
He must have a very understanding wife. I wonder if the partner is fabulous (given the location);). Maybe the wife enjoys the partner's company when he is away.

BKM

Cyburbian
I read that as K. C. (how very bobo-only a bobo or "a town next door" resident would go by their intials) being his wife AND partner (one person) In other words, a one family firm. There can't be too many clients out there that meet this guys acceptability limits.

martini

Cyburbian
I snickered when I read that too. This firms list of customers can't be very long if thats really his attitude. Both old and new is good. And IMO, the Eichlers are ugly. They're quite office like in their impersonality torwards the street, and even the interiors.