• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Architectural renderings - a subtle deception

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
When I read that I instantly thought of the tunnel in Detroit's World Gateway terminal, or whatever they are calling it these days. It is easily one of the freakiest things this City has to offer, and that says a lot!
Whenever I go through there I wonder how many epileptics go into seizures inside that thing.

stroskey

Cyburbian
No one in # 2 is wearing jeans.
# 4, although there are two dogs and a bicycle, looks like the kind of place where they would outlaw or discourage such behavior (in my opinion). Also, I hope they are planning to attract people who love flowers (look on all the decks).

kw5280

Cyburbian
My favorite story about architectural renderings goes like this. My firm was consulting with an architect to present a plan for a mall in Dubai. The architect used all the default people renderings from basic SketchUp and places a woman in shorts and tanktop front and center. Now I know the UAE is supposed to be a bit more westernized but I don't think that was a good choice. Plus the fact they used that graphic several time throughout all the renderings.

Eventually clients will catch-on and start seeing through all of these standard rendering elements and begin wondering what all the money they pay is really for.

#1 -- I go paragliding every day, so this perspective is particularly helpful.

#2 -- This appears to be from stroller level -- my son would say "mom, why is that roundabout so gigantically HUGE compared to the buidlings? Don't they understand scale?"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Traffic seems to be flowing a bit too well in that rendering. There's also a lot of people milling around the front of that building, all too evenly spaced.

I've noticed that in many renderings showing parking lots, cars are scattered throughout the lot, rather than bunched up closer to building entrances like in the real world

How about these?

In the 3rd one someone is climbing up the wall. I've never seen a rock-climbing business out in the open (in the middle of nothing) and they are no rocks for him to grab onto.

What is that place? No one is carrying anything and all the people look attractive.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Finally some realism. I thought I was the only one who could see dead people, but apparently architects are talented that way too!

There's not a single garbage receptacle in sight! Those are some very cleanly folk. They hold on to their trash until they get home.

Oh, and what's up with the lady standing in the middle all alone, not talking to anyone, not walking, just standing there and staring off into space? I mean, some people do that from time to time but shouldn't she have a shopping cart and less expensive clothing?

Last edited:
As a transportation engineer the traffic and parking parts of rendings and models are always worth a laugh. Well, a laugh until the site plans are set up the same way.
Like this local example with the outlandishly short left-turn lane that I happened to make into a poster for the architectural style:

That said, as a hobbyist model maker, I really do like seeing real 3-D models that are done for some projects. Locally there have been some great ones. Although the large physical model of the Trinity River plan in Dallas initially neglected minor things like THE &#$&$^!! LEVEES, in favor of electrical wiring in the major buildings and exact models of each house in the area.

Rygor

Cyburbian
#1: Apparently people driving one direction drive much nicer cars then those driving the other direction. Is it rush hour between the ghetto and the burbs?

#2: Toward the right there is a guy creepily staring at a couple, as though he plans to stalk them, kill the guy, and kidnap his girlfriend.

#2: Guy on far right. "How much for that do-ggy in the win-dow?"

#3: It was nice knowing you Mrs. Robinson.

#4: "I feel pretty, oh so pretty! So pretty, and witty, and gaaaaaay!" It looks like a scene out of Mary Poppins or something.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
What kills me for all my renderings, I'm in the desert - these things you call trees don't exist, and yet you keep showing me fields of beautiful green grass and endless amounts of trees that are not allowed so we can conserve water or would die from the heat. It's hard to get a good rendering of desert construction, it doesn't look as pretty.