• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Architectural renderings - a subtle deception

Just for once, I'd like to see a rendering with:

* A same-sex couple.
* An interracial couple.
* A skateboarder.
* A trustifarian hippie.
* Hipsters.
* Rednecks.
* Goths
* A doughy guy with a neckbeard wearing a science- or Linux-related t-shirt.
* A woman in an abaya (excepting renderings for projects in Dubai).
Would you settle for partial reality?

Rendering: renovation of the Gowanus Canal area, Brooklyn, NYC:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2296649673_b215eae2e8_o.jpg

Granted, the sky and notoriously stank canal are blue; the impeccable lawn is bright green; there are way too few folks hanging out...
But the people who are painted in--very realistic for that area:

- People of different races happily hanging out in the same arena.
- Most people wearing the 'grudge look'. Girls dressed in casual co-ed clothing.
- Group of children representing many different races.
- Group leader is a female minority who, without an aide, is responsible for too many children.
- Very overweight child eating food at left forefront.
- Someone using a laptop.
- A Lesbian couple? (Holding hands, to the left of the jogger.)

Well, it's a start.:)

(Rendering: Gowanus Green from the Hudson Companies team. The design is from Rogers Marvel Architects and landscape designers West 8 and Starr Whitehouse.)

All that computer generated crap has pretty much ruined this artform. When I was in college studying architecture we knew about perspective. A lot of those people look cut-and-pasted into the renderings, hardly anyone has any fun with these generated drawings. I can recall doing similar things as mentioned earlier, for example I put my New Yorker parked at a curb and the leering perverts into my drawings. We had fun with them.

Dammed kids and their newfangled ways of doing things.

Am I old already at 42? :)

This thread makes me wish I had some artistic rendering abilities.

Somebody should put together an entire portfolio of subversive (or at least substantially more realistic) architectural renderings and have them put on display in a gallery somewhere. That's an art show I would enjoy going to go see!
check out www.land8lounge.com There are plenty of galleries on there. Each member has their own folio with artwork as well. I included a few samples under the same name, nrschmid.

kw5280

Cyburbian
Since I was laid-off at my previous firm I didn't have a chance to grab some of the renderings our architect had done. But I did have this one that is at the opposite end of the spectrum of what we're talking about. While hand renderings do have more artistic appeal I think they need a little more effort than this. Yes, this was presented to the client. I love the car, the hood looks like it holds a V12 but has been in a couple fender-benders.

Attachments

I'm amazed that anyone is suprised by this. I've designed hundreds of development projects during my career as an urban designer and not one has ever come close to what the renderings look like. Think of it this way, renderings are cartoon versions of real life, nothing more.

kw5280

Cyburbian
I'm amazed that anyone is suprised by this. I've designed hundreds of development projects during my career as an urban designer and not one has ever come close to what the renderings look like. Think of it this way, renderings are cartoon versions of real life, nothing more.
I'm not suprised. But it's much easier to give some latitude to artistic renderings than it is to the very photo realistic images that can be produced with new technology. I think this thread is more satirical because these new renderings attempt to be realistic but we're poking fun at where they fall short.

Rygor

Cyburbian
More fun with renderings.

In the "Haven West" one there is a lonely black guy dressed in simple clothes looking in from outside the wall in the alley. I wonder if the renderer was trying to make a social statement.

In the second and third ones apparently they aren't very confident their projects are going to be successful since there seems to be nobody patronizing the businesses. Way to sell it, guys!

In the last four renderings the way the people are all scattered about randomly all alone makes it look like the grounds of a sanitarium. I wonder if they are talking to themselves?

Deceiving

I always tell applicants the the Planning Commission or Council is going to ask if they are go to provide everything that is shown in the renderings. They don't like to be deceived. So if it's not part of the project, don't show it.

And where are the piles of dog doo? A realistic rendering would have to show a couple dogs doing their business and the owners looking nonchalantly away before walking off, leaving a steaming pile.

Streck

Cyburbian
I think the "fashion" poses come from fashion magazines or the newspaper ads. They are copied and resized to match the location in the perspective as needed. Also, if you do just the outline, it is very quick, no need to select proper clothing colors, or possible conflicts with building/background colors, and it's harder to prove plagiarism.

Howard used to be one of my favorite renderers.

Exagerated yellows and blues are apparently the "in" coloration now.

Still see balloons and flags for ambiance.

There also seems to be a distinction in my mind between renderings that go for the photorealistic look and are usually done entirely in a 3-D rending program and more stylized takes where people are transparent, the lighting and backgrounds are post processed in photoshop, and there is a stronger collage sense about the rendering.

I find that the latter of these images are the ones that take the most liberties with reality, usually in respect to the fact that so many people would be doing something like hanging out in a plaza beneath a bridge or making creative use of abstract site furnishings.

I like the hand renderings because they are very honestly deceptive about their cartoonishness. I wouldn't expect a place to look like a hand rendering. In Photoshop, flowers are in bloom all the time and garbage does not exist.