• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Are More Planners Cub Fans?

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
I posed this question in Planning Magazine a number of years ago and got a good number of letters ---mostly agreeing that planners would tend to be Chicago Cub fans.
Some mentioned the interaction of the Cubs with their neighborhood around Wrigley Field, historic preservation and the fact that the Cubs have resisted the trend to move to a suburb in a high-tech, luxury box new stadium.
What do you all think? Are planners more likely to be Cub fans or am I dropping the ball (fair or foul) on this one?
Please respond with your views pro or con.
Hey Hey!
Earl

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I felt my heart sink after the Cubbies lost game 7. Same thing with the Sox. It's not so much the urbanity of the area around Wrigley Dield; it's just that I'm sick and tired of the same old Yankees-versus-whoever World Series.

A Sox v Cubs Would Series would have been fantastic for both Boston and Chicago, regardless of the ultimate winner.

H

Cyburbian
Yes Wrigley is a great model of an urban community stadium. I will have to say that I was a Cubs fan up until I learned how obnoxious the Chicagonites were when they came to my hometown of Atlanta earlier this month. I wont say what the did (because I wasn’t there), but I have heard just awful stories about how they behaved themselves. So I am now glad they lost (to the Marlins).

Though I still like Wrigley field.

Last edited:

Repo Man

Cyburbian
As a Milwaukee Brewers fan, I hate the Cubs. I liked them somewhat until the Brewers switched leagues, now they are main rival. With that being said, I love Wrigley Field and I make it a point to get to 2-3 games a year.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Some food for thought in the responses to this question, and I agree---some indigestion over the Yankees again in the World Series. Even the Yankees seemed kind of bored with the whole thing, as did the TV announcers.
Sorry to hear the Cub fans were anything but civil in Atlanta---no excuse ---but the Braves fans do that Tomahawk Chop... Nuff said there.
And everyone seems to like Wrigley Field. What a great baseball icon, institution, historic site, etc.
Finally, the Cub fans spirit --to persist for almost 100 years without an World Series win, to me reflects the dedication of many planners ---trying year after year to get the politicians to listen, and the people to get together and enjoy the benefits of responsive, innovative planning.
now on to the 2004 baseball season!!!!!!
Earl