• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Are or were you a Role Player or War Gamer? (Split from okay who changed my avatar)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay, who switched my avatar?

SlaveToTheGrind said:
I think it is fair to say that those that played role playing games (NTTIAWWT) probably did not know what lesbian sex was. I on the other hand...
Yes we did and I have the level 6 elven lesbian cleric to prove it.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay, who switched my avatar?

Chet said:
Yes we did and I have the level 6 elven lesbian cleric to prove it.
Damn, when I was asked in the 7th grade if I wanted to play, maybe I should have...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay, who switched my avatar?

SlaveToTheGrind said:
Damn, when I was asked in the 7th grade if I wanted to play, maybe I should have...
You bet. She even has a +2 strap on of domination

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
boy, oh boy did this tread take a turn out to left field?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What? Are you blind?!?! I mean... how do you NOT see the connection between MZ's avatar and D&D!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Label me naive if you must, but what is this D&D that you speak of?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SGB said:
Yup, I'm a recovering geek. Been in D&D remission for about 16 years now.
20 year out for me. Only about 10 for the other great like Battletech, Star Fleet Battles....

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Chet said:
20 year out for me. Only about 10 for the other great like Battletech, Star Fleet Battles....
'bout the same for me. Robotech was the last RPG I was big into.

donk

Cyburbian
Never played, never into role playing games.

RPG are one geek past time I never got into.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Nope, never. I had some roommates that were into some game (wasn't D&D). I can't think of it right now though.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I never did. I just watched way too much t.v.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
GEEK still :)

Playing the new clicky base games. More fighting, less paperwork!:)

Its not cheaper, but it is easier on the liver than excercising it in the pub every night.

An additional benifit is that you can do it WITH your kids and spend time with them. Expand thier imaginations! :)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Dork Alert

biscuit said:
or S&M, or some geek dream combination of the two.
That version is being released late this october. Saw it being advertised at this years ORIGINS game convention. FINALLY! I can play the completly evil and sex addicted character I always wished I could be. Hide your cute elven girlriends and lock up the kings daughter, here I come! :)

jordanb

Cyburbian
I played tradewars once over telnet.

Other than that, nothing.

This is really the "admit you're a nerd" thread in disguise, isn't it?

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
I played D&D in 6th and 7th grades. Halfway through 7th grade I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and sold all my gaming modules. I did not want any of that satanic garbage in my life. Those damn Satan Worshippers at TSR, preying on little kids like that. Since then, I've accepted Jesus in my heart about a dozen times, the last time being 1991. Since then, I've renounced god and been a devout atheist. I've never been happier!

One question, though: What's the difference between D&D and AD&D?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Alan said:
There are Basic Rules and Advanced rules. Kids tend to play D&D, and graduate into the more complex stuff right about the time the hormones kick in.

SGB

Cyburbian
Can't .........resist........

Alan said:
D&D is a role playing game.

ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) is a mental disorder diagnosis applied to children and adults who consistently display certain characteristic behaviors over a period of time, such as distractibility, impulsivity, and hyperactivity.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Got unwilling pulled into a D&D game once, ran away quickly, never looked back. It's hard enough just carrying on daily business without pretending you're an elf.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
[ot]Acording to my experience:
ADD is just a made up "disease" so pharmaceutical labs win more money selling POS drugs like Ritalin™. :)[/ot]

I wonder why Koreans (I doubt the Our dear Leader type of Koreans) are so addicted to RPG and strategy games....

Jeff

Cyburbian
Never got into the whole D&D thing. I just cut to the chase and went right to sacrificing small domesticated animals on my altar in the back yard

jordanb said:
This is really the "admit you're a nerd" thread in disguise, isn't it?
I don't know what you mean by that. Gamers are not really Nerds. More like Cult members. Which made me feel right at home at the ESRI GIS conference last year. Finally: I found a profession where I fit in.

I belonged to a group with a regional reputation and we had players who would come in once a month or whatever and rent a room (or stay with family/friends) to stay involved. We played a variety of games and basically the entire weekend was shot -- plus most Wednesday nights. And on Thursdays, me and 8 or 10 others would hit the newest release of Star Wars and the like.

I usually slept on the couch when they pulled out Star Fleet Battles and the like. I did play some 'spy' game (a la James Bond) and I played whatever game was based on The X-Men -- and I played Kitty Pride in that game, who just happened to be a skinny teen-aged girl with wavy brown, shoulder length hair. At that time, I looked remarkably like the drawing and the name stuck and morphed into Kitten at some point.

I also game-masterd some RPG based on Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. Talk about weird stuff.

Maybe I shouldn't mention some of my more interesting characters...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michele Zone said:
Maybe I shouldn't mention some of my more interesting characters...
OH MZ - you cant leave that dangling out there. Now you are obligated to share! :)

Chet said:
OH MZ - you cant leave that dangling out there. Now you are obligated to share! :)
Okay, but I require everyone to remember that I am really a boring homemaker and got married at 19 to my high school sweet heart. Roll playing games are ALL talk (and nicely painted figurines and drawings I had commissioned of my favorite characters).

Now that we have the disclaimer out of the way:

My first character was a fighter-mage with red hair and the attitude to go with it -- a la Red Sonja. She eventually got herself into trouble and had a half-demonic child, a son, who could switch genders because his 'father' was a succubus (in male form, it is called an Incubus, but this boy technically had 2 mothers and no father).

Mom was Chaotic Good but demons are automatically of Evil alignment. He got an inheritance from Mom (she became very powerful before I retired her) but was basically on his own once he left home. I didn't play him long. He got into too much trouble. I never really could get into playing an evil character.

I briefly had a magic wielding character, I believe called an Houri -- sort of a tramp with spells. Most of her spells involved a kiss (like "the kiss of death" at high levels, but I didn't play her that long). In her first adventure, we conquered some pirates. For my share of the loot, I asked for all that stuff no one else wanted -- silks, china, spices, etc. -- and she retired to open a very lavish, upscale hotel and brothel in the local town.

She was very short and very busty (jokes were made about her looking like a bowling ball -- this was randomly rolled up on some table someone had, not by choice) and so her brothel specialized in exotic tastes -- the only brothel around where you could get it on with a Centaur, for example. She became an NPC (non-player character, played by the gamemaster, usually) but if I was around and someone stopped in at that hotel/brothel in that GM's world, I got to play her. lol.

This always shocked the newbies and was great fun. All the guys eventually adopted me as their "little sister" and were very protective of me (after they got over all the drooling and laying bets over who would risk jail to bed me). So new people just never quite knew what to make of it all.

Alright, Chet -- this long-winded post is your fault. Don't blame me.

SkeLeton said:
[BI wonder why Koreans (I doubt the Our dear Leader type of Koreans) are so addicted to RPG and strategy games.... [/B]
Oh, my son was just enlightening me on this earlier this afternoon. Part of the answer (I think) is that Korea banned imports from Japan years ago so they don't have a lot of video games. I didn't really pay attention to the rest of his comments. But, if you REALLY want an answer, I can have "Tigger" act as guest speaker in my place and blather on about this.;)

The Irish One

All my books were stolen from some nieghborhood ASSH*&**, to this day I'd like to rip their heads off and use the neck as a toilet. Having said that I phased out of D&D when I was 11 years old and never looked back.

Duke Of Dystopia said:
HOLY CRAP!

I STILL have nothing on that :)

I must still have a vestige of a real life :)
a) I never do anything half-hearted. I tend to be an "all or nothing" type and really throw myself into something until I have had my fill.

b) I basically ran away from home without mentioning it to my parents. After spending time in a mental instution and attempting suicide, I spent all my time 'with friends' or at school. I did sometimes sleep at my parents' home. It would be hard to NOT have more of a life than I had at that age.