• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Are some movies only meant to be viewed once?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I can think of no better example of a film only meant to be seen once than The Blair Witch Project. It was four years ago that it was released and it was arguably the most successful movie of all time. (Costing less than $30K to make, it made over $170million at the Box Office).

I remember the unforgettable preview, the rave reviews from Critics like Roger Ebert, the hype leading up to the release, the long lines. People hanging out after the movie in discussing about what they just saw. The chat rooms full of people debating whether this really happened or not. It got 95% on the Creme of the Crop Tomatometer.

Yet by December of that year it was all ancient history. Roger Ebert, who gave the film a resounding four stars didn’t even put it in his Top 20. It just got “honorable mention” or something like that. Dozens of copies languished on the new release shelves at video stores. (Recently, I saw copies selling for less than $3). A huge backlash against the film had developed, partly out of the mainstream capitalizing on it's enormous success.

Which brings me up to the conclusion, that although Blair Witch Project was an enormously successful movie and well made, it was only meant to be seen once. With audiences, now having known the outcome, the film could not hold up to close scrutiny and it was soon regulated to the general release shelves. Hence the backlash.

Any other films fit into this category? What are your thoughts?

Jeff

Cyburbian
I just saw Basic....a great movie, but once you know how it plays out it kinda defeats seeing it again.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I think The Sixth Sense was like that, once you know the deal, it's not as good.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I was just going to mention the 6th Sense. Another one is Requiem for A Dream. It is almost too disturbing to watch again. I think that A Beautiful Mind also looses some of its appeal after the first time.

"What Lies Beneath" with Michelle Pfieffer and Harrison Ford. I think the big deal about that movie was that its trailer gave away the movie's secrets.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Planderella said:
"What Lies Beneath" with Michelle Pfieffer and Harrison Ford. I think the big deal about that movie was that its trailer gave away the movie's secrets.
Oh, that movie is meant to never be seen. It was so horrible! Don't waste your money - go see David Lynch's Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive for some real thrills and goofy-ass shit that will fu(k with your mind.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
For me, it's "The Fifth Element" starring Bruce Willis. Good the first time, but I had no desire to see it again.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Definitely

I have been developing this theory for awhile. There are definitely movies that can only be seen once. It is a truely great movie if you can watch it over and over and still not be tired of it.

One time movie:
- As Good as it Gets

Movie to see over and over, IMHO:
- Fight Club

SGB

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
I just saw Basic....a great movie, but once you know how it plays out it kinda defeats seeing it again.
Another one that fits that bill, too:

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Some movies are not even meant to be watched one time. Case in point: Speed 2 - Cruise Control

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Any dumb movie should not be viewed (at all or more than once, depends on how masochist you are).

Any horror movie shouldn't be viewed much, but many stand more than one view.
JMHO.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I really can't stand to watch most movies more than once - unless of course it's stupid and realy has no plot. It's no fun to watch a movie again if I have to figure out the plot, or it it was total crap the first time around.

BTW, Nice avitar Repo Man.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
I think The Sixth Sense was like that, once you know the deal, it's not as good.
Actually, I would submit that this movie should be seen twice. The second time to see all the times the Willis character was able to move about without anyone noticing inaminate objects moving by themselves. (The set back chair in the restaurant for example was classic!).

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Super Amputee Cat said:
Actually, I would submit that this movie should be seen twice. The second time to see all the times the Willis character was able to move about without anyone noticing inaminate objects moving by themselves. (The set back chair in the restaurant for example was classic!).
Good point SAC, I agree

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
To quote the HomR (when they took out the crayon from his brain) episode of The Simpsons: "Go point your plot holes elsewhere!" :p