• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Are there any good examples of retail incorporated into a transit center?

sammy_sf

Hello,

Looking for good examples of smaller cities (>100,000) that have successfully integrated retail establishments into a transit center. I'm looking a contact name and number so I can follow up.

Thank you!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm...I've thought about this a bit, and for the life of me I can't think of any that fit the criteria you are looking for. The only one that might come close incorporated a small cafe and lottery/magazine kiosk. However, I'm not sure how successful it is - I believe the cafe may even be gone now that a Tim Horton's (think Krispy Kreme, only better) opened up right next door to the terminal.

Is this an intercity or a local transit terminal?

Typically I think you could only expect to support convenience-type retail uses, unless you also have an on-street presence.

sammy_sf

It could be either an intercity or local transit terminal. I've come up with a few examples of transit agencies that have done this on the west coast: Santa Cruz Metro (CA); Golden Gate Transit (SF Bay Area); Lane Transit (Eugene, OR); and Cherriots (Salem, OR). All of these incorporate small retail spaces, such as a coffee shop or small convenience store.

I would like to find examples in the mid-west, east coast or Canada.

thanks for replying!

Mary

They are more like 300,000 but Spokane, Washington put in a new transit center a few years back and it seemed to work really well. Especially as it was working in a dying downtown. I'm afraid I don't know who you should contact.

sammy_sf

Yes, I've found a number of larger cities that have successfully incorporated retail... Spokane, Denver, Portland, Seattle...

Smaller transit agencies seem to have a hard time making this happen, presumably because tenants are reluctant to invest in such a strange concept...?

Top Bottom