• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Are You a Native......as inspired by the Where Are You From thread.

Are You a Native?

  • Yes

    Votes: 36 37.9%
  • No

    Votes: 59 62.1%

  • Total voters
    95

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Messages
4,837
Points
26
SGB said:
Rem -

Please post a link to the best online map you know of. Are all these places in NSW?

The best Mapquest can offer ;)
1192map-aust-2.jpg

1192map-aust-1.jpg


Couldn't find Lake Macquarie though...
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,699
Points
24
When someone in WI is willing to get a planning natural and have me on the team. I will be home. To those of you who are in hiring positions in WI planning departments. I DO share my season tickets to the Green Bay Packer home games. :) (I call it incentive for both of us to take a chance :) )
 

Rem

Cyburbian
Messages
1,521
Points
23
SkeLeton said:
The best Mapquest can offer ;)Couldn't find Lake Macquarie though...
I've been working - sorry I didn't realise there were some questions. As JNL said, Skel's first map shows southern Queensland and northern NSW. Two of my places appear on the fist map - Lismore and Tamworth. Both are in NSW. Lake Macquarie appears on the second map right underneath the symbol "1" in a box. Sydney, Taree and Tamworth also appear on the second map.

SGB - all are in NSW. Skel's map is better than the one I normally use here.

If map lovers want some detail on Lake Macquarie itself, try this link choose the "LGA" tab (stands for Local Government Area) and scroll down to Lake Macquarie. On the same site there are aerial photos for NSW but you need a fast connection to get through - I generally can't access it from work and have no hope from home.
 

jmf

Cyburbian
Messages
591
Points
17
I live about a hour from where I grew up and work about halfway in between.
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,961
Points
31
Tranplaner offered
With the City of Toronto? PM me for more info if your friend wants/needs it.

I thought I had first dibs on the inside info.
 

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Messages
2,545
Points
25
I am a native. I was born in Milwaukee, grew up in the burbs, went to college (grad and undergrad) at UW-Milwaukee and now reside across the street from Milwaukee. What can I say...I like it here.
 

pandersen

Cyburbian
Messages
244
Points
9
Habanero said:
Oh no, that won't keep me away. When James graduates from his masters program we're seriously looking. One of our friends just moved back two weeks ago (Toronto), his brother and parents are going to move back in the next few years, another friend is trying to get up there (interview this week), we want to go too.

I just want to be able to say "eh" all the time! ;)

Looks like there is lots of back and forth across the border. I have a friend from grad school who at last report was working in Texas somewhere. I think she previously worked in Erie, PA too.
 

martini

Cyburbian
Messages
678
Points
19
Grew up in Mankato, and currently work at my internship there(and possibly job later-fingers are crossed), but i do reside in Le Sueur, Slave and Gedunker. Land of the Jolly green giant, and sprout! Or Lesiure, or Le Slur as I like to call it. Can't stand the town, and am impaitiently waiting to move out. Nice location, but the people are all inbred(or so it seems from typical behavoir)!
 

pandersen

Cyburbian
Messages
244
Points
9
nerudite said:
[OT]When does James graduate? I may have a planner position opening in January. I can begin the infiltration of American planners into Canada![/OT]

What's the deal oout there in Alberta. Over the past two weeks, just about every planner in my department has received a call from a recruiter for one position or another in Alberta. Seems like the recruiter is having a tough time sourcing qualified candidate for the Senior Planner position in Mountain view County - any thoughts on this one?
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,536
Points
30
pandersen said:
What's the deal oout there in Alberta. Over the past two weeks, just about every planner in my department has received a call from a recruiter for one position or another in Alberta. Seems like the recruiter is having a tough time sourcing qualified candidate for the Senior Planner position in Mountain view County - any thoughts on this one?

[OT]There aren't many qualified planners out here and growth is still booming. We have a serious drought of planners. Most of the urban areas are doing okay at recruiting (usually snagging people out of Ontario who want a lower cost of living or out of the prairies where populations are declining). Mountain View County has been recruiting that position for quite a while. I think they are a little desperate now.

As for us... we are working so hard with all the current planning due to the growth boom, we can't keep up with the long range planning. So we are trying to get an additional planner to focus on policy and long range. I have my fingers crossed that the budget will pass this year...
[/OT]
 

pandersen

Cyburbian
Messages
244
Points
9
nerudite said:
[OT]There aren't many qualified planners out here and growth is still booming. We have a serious drought of planners. Most of the urban areas are doing okay at recruiting (usually snagging people out of Ontario who want a lower cost of living or out of the prairies where populations are declining). Mountain View County has been recruiting that position for quite a while. I think they are a little desperate now.

As for us... we are working so hard with all the current planning due to the growth boom, we can't keep up with the long range planning. So we are trying to get an additional planner to focus on policy and long range. I have my fingers crossed that the budget will pass this year...
[/OT]

I think the folks at Mountain View County are looking for somone "on the cheap" as the entry salary quoted to me was 49k/yr. For a high growth area, that strikes me as being mightly low. The recruiter told me that the County had made a couple of offers, but no one has "bitten" so far.
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,536
Points
30
pandersen said:
The recruiter told me that the County had made a couple of offers, but no one has "bitten" so far.

[OT]Well, at 49k/year... no doubt! They will have an empty position for a long, long time. I don't think that MV County has as high a cost of living as Calgary though. It's pretty far away from where I live, so I'm not as familiar with those areas down south. I know it will be a challenge to recruit a good policy planner should I get my budget request approved come January. :( At least the City offers decent benefits and work schedules. Plus who could resist having me as a boss? Oh wait... don't answer that! ;)[/OT]
 

pandersen

Cyburbian
Messages
244
Points
9
nerudite said:
[OT]Well, at 49k/year... no doubt! They will have an empty position for a long, long time. I don't think that MV County has as high a cost of living as Calgary though. It's pretty far away from where I live, so I'm not as familiar with those areas down south. I know it will be a challenge to recruit a good policy planner should I get my budget request approved come January. :( At least the City offers decent benefits and work schedules. Plus who could resist having me as a boss? Oh wait... don't answer that! ;)[/OT]

I agree, I think the exisiting manager there was the former senior planner for the county. I believe the senior planner position topped out at 63k/yr.

I seem to recall you telling me in a personal message last yea that your office was recruiting for a policy planner - what happened - was the position "lost" due to budget considerations.

Given all the "blows" the Canadian economy and in particular the prairie economy has taken this year, I'd be very surprised if you are given the go ahead to advertise.

Ah well, what the hell do I know. A year from now I might be trying to make ends meet by collecting empty beer bottles along the road for their deposit. God only knows I'm sure the drought, mad cow, west nile and the twits in Ottawa have all been more than enough to make more than a few ranchers and farmers take to the bottle.
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,536
Points
30
pandersen said:
I seem to recall you telling me in a personal message last yea that your office was recruiting for a policy planner - what happened - was the position "lost" due to budget considerations.

[OT] Yeah we didn't win the battle last year. However, Council has literally dumped a bunch of projects on planning in the past year that have kept us very busy, so we have much better odds this year. Supposedly, we have more projects in the works with a staff of four right now than Edmonton does with their dozens of planners... It's a good thing I rock at multitasking!

Edit: As long as we have oil, we'll keep growing. The problems in the rest of the prairies are just adding to the growth of Edmonton's and Calgary's relatively healthy economy (which goes the same for us little 'burb towns).[/OT]
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
12,039
Points
53
martini said:
Land of the Jolly green giant, and sprout! Or Lesiure, or Le Slur as I like to call it. Can't stand the town, and am impaitiently waiting to move out. Nice location, but the people are all inbred(or so it seems from typical behavoir)!

Probably why my people left for Redwood Falls...
 

Bangorian

Member
Messages
198
Points
7
Definitely NOT a local

Born & Raised in a small town near the MI / IN / OH line. Now living in Maine. NOT a native.

In order to be considered a native here in Maine, you have to go back like 7 generations or something, and if you move from Aroostook County ("THE County - bigger than Connecticut) to Portland supposedly you get your native-ism revoked by the state. There are lots of kids born here who aren't considered real natives because their parents came 'from away'. So, I am not, nor will I ever be, nor will my children ever be a native of this great state.

Those "from away" are not supposed to get involved with local politics or anything contentious, unless they are ready to have their birthplace held against them. Sometimes one gets the pleasure of being told "Go back to wheah ya come from, and take alla yah big idears withya. We don't do things that way 'round heah, and we ain't intruhsted!".

You'd think a state that is continually griping about losing its young folks and intellectual capital would welcome those of us that want to make it our home! But I'm just bitter.
 

SGB

Cyburbian
Messages
3,386
Points
27
nerudite said:
[OT]Edit: As long as we have oil, we'll keep growing.[/OT]

[OT]Edmonton's got oil? Why the !@# did we send our troops all the way to Iraq? A short trip due north would've been a hell of a lot cheaper.....[/OT]

{ducks, and runs for cover!}
 

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
10,160
Points
46
Re: Definitely NOT a local

MaineMan said:
Born & Raised in a small town near the MI / IN / OH line. Now living in Maine. NOT a native.

In order to be considered a native here in Maine, you have to go back like 7 generations or something, and if you move from Aroostook County ("THE County - bigger than Connecticut) to Portland supposedly you get your native-ism revoked by the state. There are lots of kids born here who aren't considered real natives because their parents came 'from away'. So, I am not, nor will I ever be, nor will my children ever be a native of this great state.

Those "from away" are not supposed to get involved with local politics or anything contentious, unless they are ready to have their birthplace held against them. Sometimes one gets the pleasure of being told "Go back to wheah ya come from, and take alla yah big idears withya. We don't do things that way 'round heah, and we ain't intruhsted!".

You'd think a state that is continually griping about losing its young folks and intellectual capital would welcome those of us that want to make it our home! But I'm just bitter.

Living one state over, and having married a Maine native.....I can understand and feel your pain. ;)

Especially after coming from the Midwest (where I spent my college years), Maine must be a 180 on the lifestyle...
 

SGB

Cyburbian
Messages
3,386
Points
27
Re: Definitely NOT a local

MaineMan said:
"Go back to wheah ya come from, and take alla yah big idears withya. We don't do things that way 'round heah, and we ain't intruhsted!".

That's gotta be some of the best phonetic spelling of the Maine accent I've seen.

As I read it, I could hear my cousin Bill (from Gray) speak the words loud and clear!
 

pandersen

Cyburbian
Messages
244
Points
9
SGB said:
[OT]Edmonton's got oil? Why the !@# did we send our troops all the way to Iraq? A short trip due north would've been a hell of a lot cheaper.....[/OT]

{ducks, and runs for cover!}

Caution, minor rant ...

Oh, I see, we're your best friend when you want something from us be it oil, gas, fresh water, hydro power to name but a few, but when it comes to taking our beef no questions asked, that's a different matter. Better push your congressman to hurry up and get drilling in Alaska as I hear its going to be a cold winter.

I can't help but believe that there is more than a few livestock producers in the U.S of A that practice "shoot, shovel and shut up".

Ah, that feels better now that I've vented in the typical non-treatening cannuck fashion common to countries with no military and an economy 1/10th the size of the elephant to the south.
 

bubbles

Member
Messages
9
Points
0
Not native to Waterloo, just going to school. Native to Calgary, Alberta! Lived in other assorted places in AB. Can't wait to get back to Alberta!

Note on Alberta: There are tons of planning jobs in AB but from what I have seen there over the summer there are a lot of smaller places, some in the middle of no where, that aren't necessarily offering the best money. I don't think it is just an issue for planning jobs in these small places. One town was offering only $32,000 for a CAO position, thats insane!!
 

Bangorian

Member
Messages
198
Points
7
Re: Re: Definitely NOT a local

NHPlanner said:
Living one state over, and having married a Maine native.....I can understand and feel your pain. ;)

Especially after coming from the Midwest (where I spent my college years), Maine must be a 180 on the lifestyle...

Not so much, really . I'm from a small farm town in the woods of MI, so not much is too different. The only real difference is that the water on the coast here is salty, and in MI it was fresh! Of course, even the worst of cities here in New England can't come close to some of the decayed holes I lived in / worked in / played in in Michigan. And I certainly live more regionally here than before....
 

El Feo

Cyburbian
Messages
674
Points
19
Re: Re: Re: Definitely NOT a local

MaineMan said:
Not so much, really . I'm from a small farm town in the woods of MI, so not much is too different. The only real difference is that the water on the coast here is salty, and in MI it was fresh! Of course, even the worst of cities here in New England can't come close to some of the decayed holes I lived in / worked in / played in in Michigan...

Haven't been to Lawrence, MA, yet, have you? (sorry, Lawrence)

My wife is a native Massachus-ite (Massachusettsan? Masshole?) but I am from the upper south, or lower north, depending on where you're from. I like New England generally, however, I went to Damariscotta last weekend for a wedding, and I have to say if I could find a job up there I would move in a split second. It was a gorgeous day, granted, but I don't think I've ever seen any place with such a variety of scenery.
 

Bangorian

Member
Messages
198
Points
7
Re: Re: Re: Re: Definitely NOT a local

El Feo said:
Haven't been to Lawrence, MA, yet, have you? (sorry, Lawrence)

My wife is a native Massachus-ite (Massachusettsan? Masshole?) but I am from the upper south, or lower north, depending on where you're from. I like New England generally, however, I went to Damariscotta last weekend for a wedding, and I have to say if I could find a job up there I would move in a split second. It was a gorgeous day, granted, but I don't think I've ever seen any place with such a variety of scenery.

Oh yeah, I've been to Lawrence. And there are places like Lewiston and Augusta here in Maine which ain't too pretty either. Still, not as bad, in my opinion, as Flint, Saginaw, Detroit, Jackson, or any of the other lifeless carcasses of cities back home.

Writing this all just moments south of Damariscotta... There are jobs to be found here, if you don't mind living at the poverty line (and dealing with all the Mass-holes!).
 

steveanne

Member
Messages
176
Points
7
jordanb said:
So then why isn't your location "Des Plaines, Il"?


I'm pretty sure the city of Chicago will buy up most of Des Plaines in the next few years anyway. I hear my house is in the exact location where the new Sbarro Pizza for terminal #9 will be in the next phase of the O'Hare expansion.


Ok, ok. I'll change it.
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
27,045
Points
72
Another member of the non-hoosier club.

Grew up in Westfield, NJ.
 

Planderella

Cyburbian
Messages
5,344
Points
31
Since we've gotten a lot of new members in the past few months, I decided to revive this old thread to get some new input. :)
 

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
7,496
Points
38
Good revival!

I work 13 miles from the high school I attended and 50 miles from the college.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,300
Points
45
RichmondJake said:
Born in Northern California, moved to Central California after college, now in Northern Idaho.
Updated: Florida...as if you didn't already know.
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,887
Points
26
Gedunker said:
That's the place! Never, been but I hear it's nice . . .

No, the wrong turn was in Minden, Nevada, not Albuquerque. Though I have been there and it is pretty sweet.

Go Vikes!

hmm.. i thought the statue of the JGG was in Blue Earth? Maybe that brief visit 15 years ago wasn't enought to remember the town.
 

ludes98

Cyburbian
Messages
1,263
Points
22
Nope! Air Force took care of that. I was born in Germany, but I have spent 20 of my 30 years in Arizona now. Native Arizonans are a rare thing since most people move here and then leave after a few years only to return when they retire. My wife and I have no plans to leave the state until the water runs out.
 

nuovorecord

Cyburbian
Messages
444
Points
13
I lived the first 18 years of my life in the same house in Portland. Went all the way to Walla Walla, WA for college, then came back to Portland. I lived in various 'burbs for a few years, and two years in Salem, but have been back in Portland proper for three years now.

It's rare to find native Portlanders these days. My wife and I both are, though.
 

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Messages
6,399
Points
37
Born in Hawaii, been back for some of high school
Lived most of life in Texas, hitting all three major cities - Dallas (suburbs), San Antonio (overlooking downtown!), and Houston (work downtown, live suburban area)
Spent some time in other places (including VA and Germany).

I do consider myself a Texan, but I'm not a native.
 

Man With a Plan

Cyburbian
Messages
219
Points
9
MaineMan said:
Oh yeah, I've been to Lawrence. And there are places like Lewiston and Augusta here in Maine which ain't too pretty either. Still, not as bad, in my opinion, as Flint, Saginaw, Detroit, Jackson, or any of the other lifeless carcasses of cities back home.

Writing this all just moments south of Damariscotta... There are jobs to be found here, if you don't mind living at the poverty line (and dealing with all the Mass-holes!).

1) If you're interested in cities in New England that have not fully recovered check out The Flats in Holyoke, MA; Central Falls, RI; Hartford, CT; and the western sections of Dorchester, Boston, MA. They might give Flint a run for its money.

2) Maine is pissa! You are lucky to live there.

3) Does the northern midwest look anything like the northwestern sections of Maine? I was just up there this weekend and wondered if other parts of the US were as fortunate.
 

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Messages
157
Points
7
Yup...born and raised. Escaped for 4 years and was pulled back in...trying to find another way out!
 

zman

Cyburbian
Messages
9,303
Points
35
I am a native Coloradan (which is rare in my age group), but I live about 100 miles north of where I grew up.
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,887
Points
26
I grew up only 50 miles from where I currently work

78-96: Streator, IL
96-01: DeKalb, IL
01-02: Peoria, IL
03-04: Hoffman Estates, IL
04-present: Peoria, IL

I've lived and worked in and for the same community in all cases but DeKalb.

I don't know what it is about Peoria. It's not economically depressed, but it has seen it's better days, Planning has been an afterthought until the last 10 years, but now there seems to be more excitement about reinvention/redevelopment. The department only encompasses 0.7% of the entire city budget, but we've been the first in the past to get trimmed and have extra projects dumped on us (Just in the last year we were given 2 new commissions (new urbanism commission and bio-tech commission) with no extra staff or money for anything). Development mentality among the elected is starting to change and they are beginning to demand better planned products, although there seems to be no or little inter-department communication and coordination. I look at this town as a project and one that will be successful. The step that needs to be taken is to allow the planning dept. to move beyond reactionary or after-the-fact measures and to take an active and anticipatory role...you know.. plan.
 

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
Messages
3,514
Points
24
Grew up in St. Louis, MO, moved to Springfield, MO for college, and moved around some of MO and out to WY then back again. Been here the past 5 years, so yes I am a Missouri native, can't complain, I love it here.
 

lec9496

Member
Messages
128
Points
6
Nope, not even close to being a native. I'm not even considered a permenant resident. I was born and raised in Canada, then I moved to Texas for grad school and then I moved to Alaska.
 

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Messages
12,234
Points
49
I work in central Indiana about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from were I was born northern Indiana. I am a native Hoosier (even went to IU), and have lived here most of my life, except for the 5 years I spent in Kentucky. To make it worse, my family has been here since the 1880's :-c
 

DennisMaPlanner

Cyburbian
Messages
198
Points
7
Man With a Plan said:
1) If you're interested in cities in New England that have not fully recovered check out The Flats in Holyoke, MA; .

The Flats in Holyoke, there ya go. Grew up a couple of blocks away (ward 2 also referred to as south holyoke??????), had many relatives in the Flats section. Depressed in the 60's and what hasn't burned down is even worse today.

I am still in the same state, but definitely NOT in the same city. My distant cousin was Mayor of Holyoke for awhile and it even forced my grandparents to move out (his first cousin).

boiker said:
I don't know what it is about Peoria. It's not economically depressed, but it has seen it's better days, Planning has been an afterthought until the last 10 years, but now there seems to be more excitement about reinvention/redevelopment.

Interesting, it was a former city manager of Peoria (before Mayor Carver - he served under Mayor Maloof I think) that actually had gotten me interested in Planning when I was an Undergraduate at Bradley University.

Go figure.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Queen B

Cyburbian
Messages
3,174
Points
25
I am non native but have native local bragging rights as my Grandparents are burried here up on the hill. It makes the locals much more accepting.
Yes, I know it is weird. Actually my grandparents weren't native either they just ended up here. But being here holds some comforts, because it has that going to grandma's feeling.
 
Top