• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Are You a Native......as inspired by the Where Are You From thread.

Are You a Native?

• Yes

Votes: 36 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 59 62.1%

• Total voters
Born in raised in Omaha (the north side to be exact)
spent 2 years in arch. school at Univ. of Kansas in Lawrence
finished undergrad at Univ. of NE - Omaha
moved to Baltimore for grad school 7 years ago, been here since then

boiker

Cyburbian
DennisMaPlanner said:
Interesting, it was a former city manager of Peoria (before Mayor Carver - he served under Mayor Maloof I think) that actually had gotten me interested in Planning when I was an Undergraduate at Bradley University.Go figure.

Don't get me wrong, we have STACKS of neighborhood plans that are fairly to very good. They're just hardley implemented. Each plan process was done very well and we churned out good products. The problem is/was with frequent turnover of staff, and the material not accessible and little collaboration between the plans, city staff, and other government and private interests, I've seen little that shows me the plans have been followed through or even treferenced for many of the site plan, special use, or other approvals. They appear to be treated as suggestion rather than prescription.

nighthawk1959

Cyburbian
Would you believe that at age 45 I am in my fourth residence, all on the same farm? That's about as native as you can get. I was born in the only hospital in this county so I guess i'm double native or something.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I am a native of the communtiy in which I work. I went to college here, got my first real job 30 minutes away then moved back for a better job.

Born and Raised in Georgia. Now in California. But everyone already knows that so this is probably just post padding. :cool:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Born on date: 8-28-48 (When you say "Bearwiser", you've said it all.)

Place: Toledo, OH

Lived in Toledo (Lucas County), Perrysburg and Bowling Green (Wood County), Henry County, and Swanton (Fulton County).

Lived on a beach in the summer of 1966, sleeping in boats I broke in to. (Yes, a girl was involved so all sense of responsibility went in the can. Her name was Jennifer, but I digress.....)

Spent most of a summer living with a friend in Chicago. That was fun.

But, the only permament digs were in a small portion of NW Ohio.

As said before, I have lived quite the sheltered life.

Bear In The Cuddy

Breed

Cyburbian
My father was in the military... lived in Germany for 14 years, but also Massachusetts and California. Spent most of high school in northern Virginia. I've kept going south ever since. Went to Virginia Tech in southwestern Virginia... went to Appalachian State in Northwestern North Carolina... living in the Upstate of South Carolina. If the current trend continues, I'll retire in Mexico.

The One

Cyburbian
Uh...um....

I'm six states and 2283 miles away from where I was born, does that still count......ha ha ha......NOT........ :D

biscuit said:
All these people talk to funny for me to ever claim to be naive.
Moved from South Carolina to Pittsburgh for a job and, well... a girl. I miss the South and my family and friends a good bit sometimes but have started to really enjoy living my newly adopted city. Besides, a good bourbon, a phone call or air fare are all effective homesickness treatments.

Ironically, I was born an hour east of PGH in Indiana, PA. Now I am currently in SC. Small world!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
ayeauh...

i grew up in dewitt ny outside of syracuse, went to college there, then moved to boston in 86 - got burnt out in 2002 and moved to maine

so yeah, i'm wicked "from away" - in maine they call people like me "massholes" and "new jerks" - lol

but i deal with it with humility - listening to the old timers, inhaling not exhaling so i can earn respect - it's starting to work...

jmello

Cyburbian
I currently live and work 60+ miles from where I was born and raised. At the end of November I will be living and working 800+ miles from my hometown.

jmello

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
Haven't been to Lawrence, MA, yet, have you? (sorry, Lawrence)
My wife is a native Massachus-ite (Massachusettsan? Masshole?)

"Bay Stater" is the official term. And no, he has not been to Lawrence, Springfield or Holyoke yet, obviously.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I'm an Illinoisan and a Chicagoan through and through. Born here, raised here, college here...the whole sha-bang. To be more specific, I don't think I have ever yet resided outside of the Northwest suburbs. Currently I am going to school at NIU, located in DeKalb, which still happens to be in the Chicago MSA. :) :p

By the way, I don't plan on leaving my home turf when I get my first job. The only other possibilities I'm considering are two of the vacation spots frequented most by Chicagoans...FL and WI. :p

jordanb

Cyburbian
Well, if illinoisplanner is a native Chicagoan then so am I (born in Springfield).

NO! I moved up here to go to school. I'm still here five years later and still in school :-$ when I get out I plan on drifting for a few years and then ending up back here. I don't plan on going back to Springfield. ;)

Hceux

Cyburbian
How come I didn't get my chance to vote on the poll?? It closed before I could do so. Why?

Am I a native of where I currently live? Yes, but only by chance that schooling has pulled me back into this city that I lived only for 6 months as an infant.

This thread had me thinking of the lyrics in the theme song of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: :8: Born and raised in West Philadelphia, ... :8: as Will dribble his b-ball in the courtyard and get troubles with the big boys and get sent to Bel-Air to live with his uncle and auntie by his mother. Ha ha ha...:)

donk

Cyburbian
donk said:
Born and raised in Southern Ontario, about an hour north of Toronto. Now live in Northern NB.

You are not local here until you marry a relative.

Time for an update, I am now a native. Live about 4 blocks from where my grandmother was born and raised and about 10 blocks from where my mother grew up.

transformer

Born in Salamanca New York, but spent most of my youth in Saratoga Springs, New York. Currently live 700 miles away near Cincinnati. I went to school in the midwest and stayed here. I guess I am no native.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm not a native. I have lived much of my life on Pottowatami lands.

Planderella

Cyburbian
Hceux said:
How come I didn't get my chance to vote on the poll?? It closed before I could do so. Why?

Someone revived this old thread. I reopened the poll so vote away! :)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
i grew up in Upstate NY. went to a year of college in VA. transferred and finished up at UB. moved to AZ for a few months. then moved to NJ for a few years. then moved to Suffolk County, Long Island for a year. then moved to Nassau County for a little over a year. then moved back to Upstate NY. then moved to MN. then moved to New Orleans. and am currently displaced to MS.

my license may say that i am a resident of NY but my native New Orleanian friends told me that after Katrina and Rita I am an adopted New Orleanian.

http://www.nfl-football-tickets.net/ns/new_orleans_saints.gif

Moderator note:

38052202redcard3005ra.jpg

User suspended 24 hours for image leeching.

Last edited by a moderator:

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
My house is less than a mile from the home my parents were living in when they brought me back from the hospital. The hospital still stands and operates about 5 miles from me. My 94 year old grand mother lives 2 blocks from me.

zman

Cyburbian
The One said:
I'm six states and 2283 miles away from where I was born, does that still count......ha ha ha......NOT........ :D

And I am only 290 miles from where you were born... time to come home Friend!

ofrc3

I was born in Manila, Philippines. I lived in Singapore for about a couple years during my childhood.

I moved to the San Francisco Bay area and lived in South San Francisco / Daly City. Later, we moved to Foster City.

I went to school in Berkeley and now I live here in Washington, DC--in the sedate and leafy Woodley Park neighborhood.

I consider the San Francisco Bay Area to be my hometown. I especially miss the row upon row of identical tract housing along the hills of South San Francisco which were only differentiated by the entire spectrum of loud colors.

chukky

Cyburbian
We need a "sort of" option on the poll.

Maybe.

Was born in Perth. All the way over there. But like most east coasters, I Don't Quite Understand the West Australians. (Sadly I can't actually tell you if the state is West Australia or Western Australia. Am leaning to the latter.)

WA is odd. Since it's quicker and cheaper to fly to Indonesia than Sydney, it's got this strange Asian-influenced suburban thing going on. It's so incredibly isolated.

So I claim to be a Brisbanite.

greginboise

Cyburbian
I was born in Detroit (Royal Oak, actually). I refuse to live east of the Continental Divide, so there is no chance of me ever being a native.

cololi

Cyburbian
Born in SLC, spent most of my life in SLC (with 4 years in Jackson Hole and 3-4 summers in San Diego). I live a mile from where I grew up.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Born and raised in Rochester, NY (town of Greece).

Hey, if you are still in here, you likely know all my cousins!

Born & Raised in a small town near the MI / IN / OH line. Now living in Maine. NOT a native.

In order to be considered a native here in Maine, you have to go back like 7 generations or something, and if you move from Aroostook County ("THE County - bigger than Connecticut) to Portland supposedly you get your native-ism revoked by the state. There are lots of kids born here who aren't considered real natives because their parents came 'from away'. So, I am not, nor will I ever be, nor will my children ever be a native of this great state.

Those "from away" are not supposed to get involved with local politics or anything contentious, unless they are ready to have their birthplace held against them. Sometimes one gets the pleasure of being told "Go back to wheah ya come from, and take alla yah big idears withya. We don't do things that way 'round heah, and we ain't intruhsted!".

You'd think a state that is continually griping about losing its young folks and intellectual capital would welcome those of us that want to make it our home! But I'm just bitter.

ayup, me too - but honey, Washington County is "The County" - actually, there's a cultural war as to which is "The County" - too funny

how did this thread get resurrected? There's some people in here that I miss seeing in these parts - a good read while on a conference call...

btrage

Cyburbian
Native to Michigan. I've moved around in this state too many times to count.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope...born and raised in Oregon. Relocated to South Carolina for four years and came to New Jersey for grad school. I plan on sticking around for a while.

Planit

Cyburbian
Born and raised Floridian, but went back to my parents roots in the piedmont of NC

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I work in central Indiana about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from were I was born northern Indiana. I am a native Hoosier (even went to IU), and have lived here most of my life, except for the 5 years I spent in Kentucky. To make it worse, my family has been here since the 1880's :-c

My how things change.... Let's just say that I'm not exactly a native to this part of the county, let alone the state I'm living in.:r: FWIW, there are a fair amount of people here that are from someplace else, so fitting in isn't too much of a problem.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
I live 200 miles from where I was born and raised, but my parents and most of my extended family are from Chicago and/or Bureau County, Illinois (about half are still in Chicagoland - the rest wound up in Arizona, California, and Wisconsin. Very few are still in Bureau County, mostly great aunts and their families around Princeton and at the family farm near Malden). Had my parents stayed in Chicagoland 3 years longer than they did, I, too, would have been from Chicago. Instead, my dad dragged my mom 1000 miles S-SW to Dallas and they decided to start having kids, which essentially locked them in DFW (my dad likes it while my mom, still, after 28 years, misses Illinois).

My wife is from Oklahoma and all her family is still there. Her family's been in Oklahoma since the 1889 Land Run.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Funny thing is, my geneaology indicates that the family was in Indiana in the 1820s, ....

Further research reveals that they were indeed very close to these here parts (Jefferson Co. [Ind.] and Jennings Co.) from the 1820s through 1864/65. Not 50 miles away from where I've been living these past 22 years by happenstance.:h:

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
No, I'm not a native. I've about lived a third of my life in each of three states. For a small town, there are a fair amount of non-natives here. Most would probably extend the definition of native to all Texans. From north of the Red River? They'd call you a yankee here. Even though the Okies I know would call themselves southerners. It is interesting to start a "I'm more Texan than you are" argument down here.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yes, both sides of my family have lived here going back at least four generations. But to be honest that whole 'native' thing doesn't really seem to mean much at all around here. Not like someone would ever bring it up in connection with arguing why one's opinion concerning local matters should mean more than another's.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
No, I'm not a native. I've about lived a third of my life in each of three states. For a small town, there are a fair amount of non-natives here.

That's fairly accurate of most of Texas, I'd say. DFW and Houston are only just now getting to the point where natives (both long-time natives and people born here of transplant parentage) are taking back the majority. Austin is currently where Dallas was 30-40 years ago in terms of new arrivals, so it'll be interesting to see how Austinites react to losing their native majorities (which I'm pretty sure they've already lost) even further and the metro transforms. The initial reactions have been overwhelmingly negative, which is a trait I've not seen in other metro areas in Texas that experience similar explosions in growth.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I live about 80 miles from where I was born (Buffalo, NY), but only about 40 miles from where I was raised (Gowanda, NY), so I'm a "native". Most of my extended family lives within about 50 miles of Buffalo. I've lived elsewhere, but this is the place where my roots are, so it was important to me to come back.